Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Had one error after installation in which Finder wouldn't open and it kept asking me to submit a bug report. I tried to but it kept popping up. After a forced restart it finally is working for me.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Pubbies are so impatient IMHO. BETA is for testing, not for raising your fist to complain... Play with the product, enjoy what you can of it and keep your hopes up, because the big boys we take care of all those nuisances in our reports. :D

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
I downloaded it, got an error but can't find where it downloaded to. Went back to the store and it just says downloaded.... Ugh

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?

Please explain what do you mean by ' bland, cluttered, illegible...' in Yosemite and iOS? I am using them right now and what can I see is beautiful, clean, minimalist (more so then before) design. Probably you mistaken Windows 8 with Yosemite? :eek:

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Please explain what do you mean by ' bland, cluttered, illegible...' in Yosemite and iOS? I am using them right now and what can I see is beautiful, clean, minimalist (more so then before) design. Probably you mistaken Windows 8 with Yosemite? :eek:

Totally agree with this, Yosemite is cleaner, simpler, nicer, more sophisticated. W7 looks old compared to this, W8 looks totally off the mark, Mavericks looks like a classic shell.

rickgmac

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Working Apps

If anyone is stupid enough to run on primary machine.

Be aware outlook is not stable. You won't be able to open your main window. You will be able to send emails.

One work around is to remove your Identity and recreate. or try a rebuild but reports are that this only temporary works.

You should all check out http://roaringapps.com
before so you can check app compatibility and even give feed back on that site so others know any issues

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
It's a shame dark mode isn't more widespread like on Safari as I would probably use it as default.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The joke of a public beta

What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes. The beta page went down because of problems and that is understandable. However, Apple rolled Mavericks out through the Mac App Store as well as countless updates to the OS and all the 3rd party apps they sell. Mavericks didn't have the download bugs that this "limited" beta has and continues to have.

Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

"An error has occurred"

"Try your purchase tab again"

This happens over and over for some users but not for others. You can't begin where you left off, and internet speed is not a factor. Doesn't matter if you reboot, empty trash, clear caches. There is no apparent fix. And of course no actual help from Apple.

Sorry Apple, we realize this is a public beta, but this part of the process should be fairly simply and straightforward.

FAIL is the message we get over and over. Fail is what it is then.

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Even though it's a beta, it feels very solid, smooth and beautiful - and I have only experienced some minor issues (most of them only visual), which I've submitted through the Feedback Assistant :) . Spotify seems to work pretty stable too, haven't had any crashes (played music for about 2 hours now).

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Totally agree with this, Yosemite is cleaner, simpler, nicer, more sophisticated. W7 looks old compared to this, W8 looks totally off the mark, Mavericks looks like a classic shell.

When I first used Win 8, these are my first impression when I saw those Metro UI: ' bland, cluttered, illegible...'

True story. :D

biggest father1

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
2011 mbp

Is the translucency not as translucent if you don't have a Retina MacBook Pro? Or am I missing a setting?

Edit: Never mind, I see that it appears more translucent in dark mode.

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I only have one mac, so although I've downloaded it, I'm not sure I should install it. I have an external, so I may run it from there. Really not sure yet.

Funny, I ran Windows XP from it's beta without fear, yet now I worry about a beta on my Mac. I guess I like my Mac better than I liked that Windows machine.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Safari, Contacts and Notes, maximize button is full screen button - I do not like that - maximize does not mean go to full screen.

Full screen button must be separate control.

Last edited:

yockster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
WA
can not downloaded

anyone else having a issues, after 2 or so gb downloaded, i get a error while downloading, try again, done it 5 times and keep getting the same thing.

digi999

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2014
First Impressions
A lot of new Yosemite users think that the operating system looks great. According to one user, it makes Windows and Mavericks look antiquated in comparison with its new focus on translucency and clean lines. A "Yosemite is Beautiful" thread is full of praise, with users calling it "stunning" and "the best OS X has ever looked."

Wait. People irrationally hating on something on an internet message board?

Hold the phone, this is a startling revelation that has never happened before.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
My impressions

My feelings are mixed on Yosemite at this point.

The new look is cool but I was kind of hoping for some more functional changes. In particular I'm sad to see that the preview app isn't any better than it was in mavericks (which was a step back from mountain lion which was a step forward from Lion but a huge step back from Snow Leopard). I just want smooth scrolling (with the keyboard) and the ability to choose custom highlight colors!

Wifi seems a little messed up too. I connected easily to my home wifi but at work I had significant trouble trying to connect to a couple different networks that were at lower strength. Switching back to mavericks on my main install fixed the issue.

Still definitely some graphical bugs but I'm not too worried about those. It is a beta after all.

I'm a little disappointed in dark mode. It looked so cool in the screen shots but I feel like the degree of transparency isn't high enough for the menu bar and it makes my screen feel cramped.

And now for the Pros:

I am VERY excited about the today view in notification center. It is kind of basic now but as someone who checks the weather compulsively throughout the day (I live in Boston) this could be amazing. Hopefully 3rd party apps come up with some good ideas. Too bad apple restricts the notification center to only app store apps...

The frosted transparency look of the menu bar and the dock are AMAZING. Finally I can have any desktop background I want and everything on the menubar is still legible!

I am happy to say that I'm having no issues using Yosemite on a non-retina screen. Fonts etc. are totally legible on a 13" MBA.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I installed Yosemite Beta on my main machine, had to go back because one absolutely essential app was not working (MATLAB). The rest was working great though, also loved the new design.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
anyone else having a issues, after 2 or so gb downloaded, i get a error while downloading, try again, done it 5 times and keep getting the same thing.

Tons of users are have that same issue. No explanation. No fix. Just mass DL errors.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Used my main machine for this, so far all good, some apps won't work, but nothing major

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.