Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Yes, select people are having that experience and many others are not.

I am sorry for those having difficulty, but actually, it is working just fine for many people. There's nothing "select" about it.

Me, I didn't mess with downloading until after I got the Apple email this afternoon, which had a direct link.

I put 10.10 on a separate partition and it's doing well. Nearly everything I've run into has been due to third parties not being updated (SMC Fan Control, Adobe Flash, TRIM Enabler, various Safari extensions...)

In a word, it is gorgeous. I agree that Mavericks looks like a dated and vintage OS in comparison.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I used the dev preview from day one and I really fell in love with the look. I installed it on a separate partition, and was finding myself in there more and more, even know most of apps didn't work correctly in Yosemite. However, I stopped using it so I can be astonished again when it's released. I really shouldn't have played with it at all, as I really wanted to be surprised, but I'll bet it will run much more smoothly than it did for me first time around, although the last update I had for it it smoothed out some wrinkles.

I've been using Mac since 10.3.7 or .8.. forget which one and rarely have I been dissatisfied with a new OS release.

Traisoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Hey guys, did anyone be able to use adobe app like photoshop cs6 and lightroom 5?

Edited: Just found the answer. Yes, both working. Hehe.

Last edited:

AppleDavid

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I'm putting on a special hard disk and can be set arbitrarily boot drive and I can say that yosemite works incredibly fast!, and the stability is amazing there and there a mistake but no problems

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Maybe I'll upgrade to Yosemite... when another California location OSX comes to the market. Early adopter = poor support for what matters (e.g., GPU drivers, unix tools and developer packages, etc).

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I got the beta downloaded and installed in 20 minutes over the top of DP4.

Then I wiped the partition and reinstalled again as a fresh install.

Now wondering if - because I'm using the beta - I'll miss out on DP5 etc if they come out. Maybe I'll change again if that happens.

As for Yosemite itself, I don't really like it. Much prefer to more professional look of Mavericks/Mountain Lion. The apps look tacky like an Android phone. They work on iOS but not on OS X for some reason.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?

Scott Forstall, the creator of OS X Aqua interface and the father of iOS was fired and now Mr. Ive, the hardware designer is in charge of software design as well. That's the reason behind these changes.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Been trying it out this evening, first impressions are pretty good. I really like the new design. That said Microsoft office 2011 is really quite unstable at the moment especially Powerpoint which loads and crashes instantly pretty much every time.

It's a Beta so these things are to be expected but it does prevent me from using it more fully in it's present state and hence not really contributing to the beta testing. Will continue to use on the laptop and see if I get any other errors, but it's a long way from prime time.

Is this with the latest update to Office installed, 14.4.3?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Still waiting to download, after repeated download errors on both of my Macs...

Guess I'll try tomorrow.

thirdgen88

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
OS X Yosemite Beta under VMware Fusion

As was mentioned previously, it is possible to install it under VMware Fusion. I upgraded a Mavericks VM that I had sitting around in my library. I did a quick write up on it with some screenshots and more here:

http://purelinux.net/files/440a72ed0eb0f2a2ecd1930a6a348ebb-7.php

Unfortunately, you aren't able to preview the translucency and other effects, though everything else seems to work. :apple:

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
federighi instead to take acting classes should work to make a true new OS instead to bloating around and slowing a perfect OS that he received when he joined apple, yes snow leopard. this time he have the new ive's eyes killer UI in his favor but still the old same ****.
I'm sure he would have been fired long time ago if steve jobs was still alive.

Federighi rocks and if Apple is smart will continue to be the go to man for events. As far as Yosemite. I have been using it all day and it looks and has been working great.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

Are you serious? You compare the amount of people who would buy a movie on iTunes at any given time with the amount of people who jump to get the public beta or the final public release on it's very firs minute of being available? :rolleyes:

nofear1az

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
AZ
looks great

I just want to say Thank You Apple, for getting rid of the staleness in Mac OS-X and in iOS7. I love the new flatter look with the translucency. I will be looking forward to iOS8. It's finally nice to see Apple showing great taste with this new look. I do not understand what there is to hate about it. I could not stand the look of iOS6 anymore and Mavericks although was just fine to me but this Yosemite looks leaps and bounds better.

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
my stoplight is all grey buttons now, no red green yellow, just grey grey grey. i am using dark mode though and love it. i also set the button colors to use graphite which is nice.

The buttons are grey because you are using Graphite. I used Graphite under Mavericks, but when I moved over to Yosemite about 6 weeks ago I stopped. Dark mode is awesome, couldn't do without it. I'm looking forward to apps updating for Dark mode, some are difficult if not impossible to use with it when you can't see the icon in the menu bar.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Been trying it out this evening, first impressions are pretty good. I really like the new design. That said Microsoft office 2011 is really quite unstable at the moment especially Powerpoint which loads and crashes instantly pretty much every time.

It's a Beta so these things are to be expected but it does prevent me from using it more fully in it's present state and hence not really contributing to the beta testing. Will continue to use on the laptop and see if I get any other errors, but it's a long way from prime time.

You have it backwards. Office 2011 not working on Yosemite is not Yosemite "not being prime time." It means Microsoft needs to get to work on their official release fixing incompatibility.

You do realize Microsoft is testing and finding these bugs at the same exact moment?

On that note, this will probably happen with their 2014 release. Get ready for a paid upgrade.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Just installed it on my early 2013 rMBP 13". It looks amazing! It's so nice, that it's actually making me second-guess my wanting to trade it in for a PC. Hmmmm... decisions decisions. :(

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Just installed it on my early 2013 rMBP 13". It looks amazing! It's so nice, that it's actually making me second-guess my wanting to trade it in for a PC. Hmmmm... decisions decisions. :(

You would choose this (Windows 9)

windows9startmenu-100360558-orig.png

Over this?

hdEPzSa.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.