Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

China media sources (via GforGames) report that mass production of Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone is underway ahead of the phone's expected fall launch. These same sources claim the 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 has not entered mass production, further suggesting that the launch timeframe for this larger iPhone model is still uncertain.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg

Besides the iPhone 6, Apple also is preparing the next-generation iPad Air and Retina iPad mini for mass production starting in September. Apple is expected to unveil its new iPads, possibly alongside the iWatch, at an October event that also will likely be used to announce the public release of OS X Yosemite.

As Apple prepares to launch new iPhones and iPads later this year, the company's Asian suppliers are gearing up to boost production by as much as 85 percent by Q4 2014. Some of this increased production may be handled by Foxconn robots, "Foxbots", with the company reportedly deploying as many as 10,000 robots at a cost of up to $25,000 each.

Anticipation for Apple's fall lineup of devices is high, fueled by comments from Apple executives that suggest the company will enter new product categories with a device lineup that is the best it has had in 25 years.

Article Link: Apple Begins Mass Production of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6, 5.5-Inch Model and iPads Start in September

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So the rumors of seeing a 5.5" iPhone being released after the smaller one seems to be credible :(

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
So the rumors of seeing a 5.5" iPhone being released after the smaller one seems to be credible :(

But if the mass production starts only one month after the other it probably means they announce both at the September event. ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Apple will keep releasing bigger and bigger iPhones for a few years and then they'll release a new model the size of the iPhone 4 and call it "iPhone mini".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Anyone else see the irony in that Page 2 stories here are based more in reality than Page 1 stories. To get featured on the front page only requires the "source's" ability to spout information from thin air.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I want the 5.5 inch phone bad.

I would hate to have to wait till after the 4.7 one releases. But on the upside, maybe the people who just cant wait will buy the 4.7inch phone so the demand on the 5.5 will be smaller and I can pick one up on release day.

DW8Reaper

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Don't get your heart set on a 5.5"

If I were you I wouldn't get my heart set on a 5.5" it really makes no sense that Apple will make one. So the reason there keeps being "production issues" is because some fool is trying to pull a fast one.

I have a 5.5" phone and if I am really honest with myself it is difficult to use in one hand. Considering that Apple is about making devices that are easy to use and the best for the intended purpose it is highly unlikely they will make a 5.5" phone that is large and unwieldy. The large screen is really nice but also cumbersome.

So in short 4.7" I can definitely see this happen, 5.5" would be a sign that Apple is headed one way and I should stop buying their products.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
4.7" seems like a too small size and 5.5" seems huge with that huge and outdated home button. Yet I am sure I will most probably end up begrudgingly buying one.

I expect more from Apple.
Especially in regards to design.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
I haven't seen one convincing leaked 5.5" part yet...so, I am not too optimistic about the 5.5" model.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
4.7" seems like a too small size and 5.5" seems huge with that huge and outdated home button. Yet I am sure I will most probably end up begrudgingly buying one.

You won't buy it begrudgingly.

aaplmoney

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Stop telling us this same ol weak "news" about new iPhones everyday! We get it, they're on their way!

And look at this same ridiculous photos of mock iPhones on grass!! I can't take it anymore.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Well...looks like the 4.7 in Sept or wait for 5.5 in October ( I hope)

Price breaks will determine if I want to wait, keep feeling that the 5.5 will be more expensive.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

What!! 4.7 is already too small?

James Stark

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
Indiana
Really looking forward to the 5.5" model. I swapped from my iPhone 5 to a Galaxy Note II because it was just too dang small. YES! :D

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
If I were you I wouldn't get my heart set on a 5.5" it really makes no sense that Apple will make one. So the reason there keeps being "production issues" is because some fool is trying to pull a fast one.

I have a 5.5" phone and if I am really honest with myself it is difficult to use in one hand. Considering that Apple is about making devices that are easy to use and the best for the intended purpose it is highly unlikely they will make a 5.5" phone that is large and unwieldy. The large screen is really nice but also cumbersome.

So in short 4.7" I can definitely see this happen, 5.5" would be a sign that Apple is headed one way and I should stop buying their products.

When you say it's not easy to use with one hand, are you referring to typing on it? (I assume you are not holding this phone up to your ear with two hands).

If you look at it with the perspective of an iPad owner, which I would think most people are who post here, then we have already typed on a larger device along with learning how to type on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.