Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Last edited:

araposo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
please help!

Can any of you guys help me? I'm a novice in the apple world so please bear with me....

I believe I keep booting into (a yosemite looking) recovery after a failed attempt at installing yosemite on my main hard drive with no partitions (made by me at least)

I trying using the disk utilities and havent got anywhere. So pulled up terminal and tried some of the stuff that you guys have on this forum and got lost.... Please help!

attached is the list of partitions that comes up in terminal.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 197

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I cannot do that. It will not let me delete the Yosemite. However I can delete the original partition named Macintosh hd. When I click on the Yosemite partition I cannot click plus or minus

I am having the exact same problem. I managed to get back into my Mavericks partition but it is not letting me delete the Yosemite partition.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012

araposo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I cannot do that. It will not let me delete the Yosemite. However I can delete the original partition named Macintosh hd. When I click on the Yosemite partition I cannot click plus or minus

You have to do it from the Recovery partition. Erase the Yosemite partition while in Recovery partition and then you can delete it. Just reboot and hold down Command + R

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Considering where this thread started (about screwing up partitions) can I just run a couple of things by people now the Public Beta is out?

My initial issue after reading the thread was how the installer would deal with existing fusion drives if Yosemite is installed on an external HDD/SSD. So, would I be right in thinking that:

1) installing Yosemite on a pre partitioned external drive (in my case a partitioned SSD) is likely to creat a logical group of all partitions on that drive?

2) this can be easily reverted by the earlier mentioned terminal commands

3) (the biggie) has anyone installed the public beta on an external drive connected to a machine with a current Fusion Drive? If so is there anything I need to be careful of?

4) it's possible that the cksum mismatches reported earlier weren't necessarily linked to the 10.10 install?

Normally I wouldn't go near an OS that's nowhere near release-ready but as I said before this is the first time I've had the chance to be in near the start of the life of a new version of an OS and it'll be an interesting experiment to watch it develop. But, I'm not completely nuts and if there's any big issues concerning installing and Fusion Drives, I'll happily wait for the official release rather than stuff up my machine then have to be back here screaming that Yosemite broke my iMac.

araposo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
I'm figuring that mavericks is still installed on my laptop...and that the beta installer created some install partition or something and thats not working.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get back to mavericks....or install yosemite.... None of the utilities seem to work.

please help!

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Don't Load Beta on Fusion Drive Not Ready for Prime TIme

Considering where this thread started (about screwing up partitions) can I just run a couple of things by people now the Public Beta is out?

My initial issue after reading the thread was how the installer would deal with existing fusion drives if Yosemite is installed on an external HDD/SSD. So, would I be right in thinking that:

1) installing Yosemite on a pre partitioned external drive (in my case a partitioned SSD) is likely to creat a logical group of all partitions on that drive?

2) this can be easily reverted by the earlier mentioned terminal commands

3) (the biggie) has anyone installed the public beta on an external drive connected to a machine with a current Fusion Drive? If so is there anything I need to be careful of?

4) it's possible that the cksum mismatches reported earlier weren't necessarily linked to the 10.10 install?

Normally I wouldn't go near an OS that's nowhere near release-ready but as I said before this is the first time I've had the chance to be in near the start of the life of a new version of an OS and it'll be an interesting experiment to watch it develop. But, I'm not completely nuts and if there's any big issues concerning installing and Fusion Drives, I'll happily wait for the official release rather than stuff up my machine then have to be back here screaming that Yosemite broke my iMac.

Update:

I loaded the Beta on to an external hard drive and the checksum error recurred. It was fine up until the point I loaded the beta version of Yosemite. I also created a time machine back-up of Yosemite and it affected my time machine back-up on my main hard drive so it is backing up the hard drive all over again. I have since deleted the Yosemite partition and the associated Time Machine back-up....I will wait until we have several releases of the final version before I will venture in again.
One other issue related to Yosemite when I first attempted to erase the Yosemite and time machine back-up partitions disk utility froze in the un-mounting stage. I therefore had to force quit and....never a good idea...and use CMD+R and run disk utility to erase both the Yosemite partition and it's associated time machine partition.
What a pain in the neck (I could substitute a more accurate term but I will refrain).

----------

I also loaded Yosemite on my 2010 27 inch iMac with a rotational drive and it has not created any issues. The problem is with the fusion drives; not sure why.
The beta version is performing quite well.....just hold off if you have a fusion drive!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I can vouch this is my experience too. After installing Yosemite, other partitions would not boot.

araposo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
I believe my issue has something to do with the permissions getting messed up on my hard drive before the install.

Can anyone guide me through what I need to do in terminal to fix it?

please?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I can vouch this is my experience too. After installing Yosemite, other partitions would not boot.

After installing Yosemite, you need to boot into said OS and go to preferences and pick the default OS (Mavericks) you wish to boot into. Once you pick Mavericks, reboot the computer. After that, any other partitions you may have should be readily seen while holding down the option key during boot.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
BrooklynAl,

Thanks for that. I think I'll keep this PB away from my main machine in ANY form. I'll mull things over for a few days and might put it on a late 2011 MBP we've got that doesn't get used as much as it should. No biggie if that goes boobs up.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm figuring that mavericks is still installed on my laptop...and that the beta installer created some install partition or something and thats not working.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get back to mavericks....or install yosemite.... None of the utilities seem to work.

please help!

At this point you just want to kill the Yosemite partition yes?

Enter "diskutil cs list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and post the output and we can try and help you out.

araposo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
At this point you just want to kill the Yosemite partition yes?

Enter "diskutil cs list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and post the output and we can try and help you out.

I'm at work now and don't have the Macbook with me....if you look at my first post I took a photo of what came up when I rain the regular "diskutil list" in terminal....hopefully that's enough info.

I believe when I typed in the "diskutil cs list" last night I got "No CoreStorage logical volume groups found"

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm at work now and don't have the Macbook with me....if you look at my first post I took a photo of what came up when I rain the regular "diskutil list" in terminal....hopefully that's enough info.

I looked at that and it is not enough info. The CS command will give us the ID of each core storage volume to help you figure it out. Just post it up later when you get home and we should be able to fix you up.

Just run this in Terminal.

Code:
diskutil cs list

araposo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
I looked at that and it is not enough info. The CS command will give us the ID of each core storage volume to help you figure it out. Just post it up later when you get home and we should be able to fix you up.

Just run this in Terminal.

Code:
diskutil cs list

I just updated my last post.... I ran that command last night and got the ""No CoreStorage logical volume groups found" message.

Any ideas?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
After installing Yosemite, you need to boot into said OS and go to preferences and pick the default OS (Mavericks) you wish to boot into. Once you pick Mavericks, reboot the computer. After that, any other partitions you may have should be readily seen while holding down the option key during boot.

No, I mean it wouldn't boot successfully into Mavericks. It would try, then reboot into Yosemite regardless of anything.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Hardware failures

… checksum error recurred. … I will wait until we have several releases of the final version … attempted to erase … disk utility froze in the un-mounting stage. … What a pain in the neck …

What you describe is symptomatic of problems with storage hardware. Awaiting operating system software will not resolve such problems.

As before, I recommend a thorough check of affected devices.

In Apple Support Communities:

Storage problems, Core Storage, Disk Utility, checksums, fsck_cs and cksum mismatches

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
You have to do it from the Recovery partition. Erase the Yosemite partition while in Recovery partition and then you can delete it. Just reboot and hold down Command + R

You CAN NOT do this.

The answer is simple;

1) Open Disk Utility and ERASE the Yosemite partition. This should convert the drive back to a normal layout, not a CoreStorage volume

2) Using terminal delete the recovery partition

3) Merge the recovery partition with the Yosemite partition

4) Merge the merged volumes with your Mavericks volume.

Booting into Recovery Mode will NOT allow you to delete the Yosemite volume. See my previous post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19395336/

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Boot Drive

So I ran into this issue as well; I only gave my partition about 60 gb, just to play around with the beta... not to use it functionally of course! It renamed the SSD Yosemite! When I went to reboot and choose my drive, I got OSX Installer, 10.9 Recovery, and Yosemite... So that freaked me out initially; but when I went into Disk Utility and chose my Mavericks partition to boot from it's fine; strange though, I'll definitely need to back my things up again so that I don't have any issues incase of Yosemite crapping out or something I don't want it to corrupt the things I have on Mavericks :(

PS I'm just avoiding going on that Partition for now...so I don't screw anything up... hopefully theres a fix for it...just want to be careful is all!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 9.48.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 9.48.20 AM.png
    116 KB · Views: 156

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Stronly disagree...........

What you describe is symptomatic of problems with storage hardware. Awaiting operating system software will not resolve such problems.

Storage problems, Core Storage, Disk Utility, checksums, fsck_cs and cksum mismatches

Thanks for the info but beg to differ......both issues occurred a "point" in time that coincided with the loading of Yosemite (X2), and promptly resolved after deletion.

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Main HD Passed with "Smart Utility"

I read the article in the link provided, then downloaded "Smart Utility" as recommended in the content of the article and all main HD's PASSED and no errors or bad sectors. Though, I still appreciate your desire to help...which, in the end, provided me with a learning opportunity and a new piece of software that I may purchase after the 30 day trial.
That is what is great about MacRumors we can pool our collective knowledge.:apple:

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can any of you guys help me? I'm a novice in the apple world so please bear with me....

I believe I keep booting into (a yosemite looking) recovery after a failed attempt at installing yosemite on my main hard drive with no partitions (made by me at least)

I trying using the disk utilities and havent got anywhere. So pulled up terminal and tried some of the stuff that you guys have on this forum and got lost.... Please help!

attached is the list of partitions that comes up in terminal.

I just updated my last post.... I ran that command last night and got the ""No CoreStorage logical volume groups found" message.

Any ideas?

What kind of Mavericks backup do you have (maybe Time machine?) that we could use to just nuke the whole drive and get you back to Mavs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.