Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I thought my download attempts had failed too. What I didn't realize was that after my first click on the redemption code it was actually downloading to Launchpad. Launchpad did not open on top.

For those that are having problems, check Launchpad and see if something is there. The installation gets launched from Launchpad.

What? It downloads to the /Applications folder. It just happens to also appear in Launchpad.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
ya it's not working for me either, it errors out with just a little bit left to go in the download process. i might attempt to update my os and try again, i haven't done the latest point release of mavericks, so ... maybe that's it? Maybe?

I have the latest version of Mavericks and no luck.
It just fails every single time and I have been trying since it was released
Sometimes it would restart and give me an error :mad:

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
It's gotta be something software related. I couldn't get it to download all day on my 10.9 partition but when I tried in my partition that already had Yosemite installed it worked first try. So for those of you with issues I would try looking at plists and caches, updating 10.9 to the latest, etc. Does not appear to be due to ISPs or Apple.

grblade

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
I downloaded and installed it yesterday afternoon with no problem at all on my 2008 MacBook.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I solved it!!

I have failed at least 50 times sincere yesterday.

Here is what I did.

I changed my DNS Server.

On another thread here I asked for people to share where the live if they were having the problem. I noticed no East coast locations.

I have Comcast and I also use an airport express. I opened airport utility and changed my DNS Server to the East Coast identifier.

I then started the download again and it worked. My browser acted slow and funny but the app store worked just great.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiqu8aryxehj6g1/Screenshot%202014-07-25%2012.09.48.png

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
While I had no problem redeeming and downloading (Comcast - but in a competitive area), I'm not entirely sure my scratch install on a new partition went 100% - either that or the beta is much buggier than I expected. I filed 3 reports immediately, could probably file another 5-8 but I have work to do.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I got the e-mail, clicked the link, and it downloaded and installed in short order. I don't understand why people are having problems.

It's very simple.

Yes, because it is obviously the problem of the user and not an issue on Apple's end. That's like saying that when a restaurant messes up your food, it's because you don't know how to order, not because they messed up. Solid logic.

I had it download numerous times ranging from 500mb all the way to 2.5GB before the AppStore stops the download and says an error has happened. It's nothing on the user end. I personally gave up on trying, but the people that signed up deserve to be able to install their beta.

cteubert

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
I haven't been able to download it yet either. I also have Comcast and am in the Bay Area (Northern California). So frustrating! I'm going to try from work later.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I haven't been able to download it yet either. I also have Comcast and am in the Bay Area (Northern California). So frustrating! I'm going to try from work later.

Yup same here (Comcast, bay area..). Those conditions seem to be a prominent common factor here.

JoshDoug

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm also having this problem, and this isn't the first time I've had a problem with downloading content from Apple.

A film I rented from iTunes would download and then stop at 312MB (if i remember correctly) and I would have the same problem trying to download on a different mac on a different connection with the same apple id, with the download inexplicably stopping at the same point (312MB) again.

I've also had this exact same problem downloading a game of the App Store, with the download encountering an error at the same point (114MB) on different macs on different wifi networks, no apple customer support or genius could help.

I'm assuming this problem is linked and i'm hoping that the public focus on it may get apple to fix it, currently I just do everything i can to avoid downloading large files (over 1GB) from Apple. Incredibly frustrating.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I can confirm that we've had luck using a VPN to download Yosemite when we were previously unable to. Our editor in Colorado was unable to download the software up until this morning, but was able to complete the download after setting up a VPN.

If you have access to a VPN, it's certainly worth trying.

Vidiot62

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
Not working here either in the bay area, CA. Kept trying all of yesterday and early morning today, still no goods. Fails around 1 GB and sometimes it restarts even earlier at 500 MB and goes back to 0. Weird....

Seems to be some geographic component - lots of problems in the Bay Area. I tried it with my Apple ID on my MacBook Pro/comcast internet and my friend's Apple ID on her MacBook Air/AT&T uverse Internet and both restarted a few times before failing completely. I've tried at least 20 times over the past 24 hours, have deleted App Store cache files, etc. all with no luck. Apple is giving us the real beta experience...

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
My slow as hell DSL connection managed to download Yosemite on it's first try yesterday.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Right. Piracy is always the answer... :rolleyes:

Torrenting =/= piracy. I have been granted the right to use this software. Apple is not able to complete the transfer. If I get it from a torrent I am 100% in the clear and not pirating. While obviously torrents are used for pirating, there are many legitimate uses for them.

jonbauer

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I can confirm that we've had luck using a VPN to download Yosemite when we were previously unable to. Our editor in Colorado was unable to download the software up until this morning, but was able to complete the download after setting up a VPN.

If you have access to a VPN, it's certainly worth trying.

Yep, I'm almost done downloading now - for the first time - the VPN to Canada did the trick (I think).

- Jon

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA
Adding myself to the list of "me too" on this thread. Took me about a dozen attempts on my MacBook Pro at work yesterday, but I finally got a usable download. I've been trying to download the installer to my iMac since yesterday afternoon with no luck. Same story as almost everyone else: the download gets to around the 1 GB mark, resets, and eventually displays an error saying to try again.

I'm in the Bay Area. My ISP is AT&T U-verse.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Yup same here (Comcast, bay area..). Those conditions seem to be a prominent common factor here.

I can't get it to download at home (Comcast, Utah) or at my University, which is not Comcast obviously. I wonder if it is a West Coast issue. Looks like Arizona, California, Utah and Colorado are all represented here.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Almost sounds like Comcast has/is making use of Proxy servers to store copies of content requested in some regions. If the proxied copy was incomplete on the Comcast server, then that could explain why connectivity to other networks has worked for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.