Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bose today filed a lawsuit against Beats Electronics, accusing Beats of infringing on a number of patents related to noise cancellation and other audio technologies (via TechCrunch). The lawsuit accuses Beats Studio and Studio Wireless branded headphones, which advertise "Adaptive Noise Cancellation," of violating five separate Bose patents in the United States.

In the filing, Bose points towards the 50 years of research, engineering, and development of noise cancellation techniques that went into the creation of its QuietComfort line of noise-cancelling headphones, which use the technology Beats has allegedly stolen.

beatsheadphones.jpg
Beats has been accused of infringing on the following five U.S. patents, which pertain to various noice-cancelling techniques:

No. 6,717,537 - "Method and apparatus for minimizing latency in digital signal processing systems"
No. 8,073,150 - "Dynamically configurable ANR signal processing topology"
No. 8,073,151 - "Dynamically configurable ANR filter block topology"
No. 8,054,992 - "High frequency compensating"
No. 8,345,888 - "Digital high frequency phase compensation"

The lawsuit asks for an injunction that prevents Beats from continuing to produce products that infringe on Bose patents and it requests a damages award for using the company's technology. Bose has also filed a complaint with the International Trade Commission, seeking a sales ban on the Beats products that violate its patents.

Bose's infringement lawsuit against Beats is set to become Apple's problem as the company's purchase of Beats is expected to close this quarter. Apple initially announced its $3 billion acquisition of the headphone manufacturer in May. Apple is currently embroiled in a number of lawsuits, including an ongoing dispute with Samsung Electronics and several class action suits brought against it by former employees.

Article Link: Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement Over Noise-Cancelling Headphones

shrfu31

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Weasels are attracted to big piles of cash.

I am surprised it took them this long actually.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Huh rocking a pair of QC15's right now... :D
But yeah many headphone companies are after Bose's great noise cancelling... great for marketing

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Fascinating that they wait until Beats is acquired by someone with deeper pockets. Good luck getting any money, though. If Bose ever gets a payout, it'll be ten years down the road. And the general impression I get from people who work in the speaker business is that Bose isn't really that good.

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
It's ridiculous that these companies can sue for these vague patents which cover things like "design," "look" or "feel."

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Fascinating that they wait until Beats is acquired by someone with deeper pockets. Good luck getting any money, though. If Bose ever gets a payout, it'll be ten years down the road. And the general impression I get from people who work in the speaker business is that Bose isn't really that good.

Headphone quality does not seem to have much of a positive correlation with company value.

But Bose is still head and shoulders better than Beats.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I got even money that says none of you could tell the difference between a pair of Bose and a pair of Beats headsets blindfolded.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Bose felt threatened. For the longest time they were the #1 name in expensive sub par audio equipment until Dre came around and took the crown.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Bose probably should have done this before Apples team of battle hardened patent lawyers were backing Beats up....

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Active noise canceling has been used in aviation headsets made by any number of companies for decades now. I wonder if or how Bose is separating the technology used in consumer headsets from the other implementations.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Headphone quality does not seem to have much of a positive correlation with company value.

But Bose is still head and shoulders better than Beats.

As a Bose headphones owner, I'm going to have to disagree. The only reason I use Bose is because I like their in ear inserts better than beats. That's it.

gjvon

macrumors member
Active noise canceling has been used in aviation headsets made by any number of companies for decades now. I wonder if or how Bose is separating the technology used in consumer headsets from the other implementations.

Seeing that we are not audio engineers, we have no say in what WE believe is right and wrong regarding the matter. I am sure an Engineer could tell when someone has copied their blueprint.

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
As a Bose headphones owner, I'm going to have to disagree. The only reason I use Bose is because I like their in ear inserts better than beats. That's it.

I don't own either because you can get the same or better for a fraction of the cost (except Bose probably does have the best noise cancelling, but probably not worth four times the price of something with 90% of the noise cancelling/sound quality). But Bose has much better balance and Beats has $30 worth of bass.

On both you are paying for the symbol on the side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.