Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hello Inc's new Kickstarter project Sense is an iOS-compatible sleep tracking system that allows users to monitor their sleep patterns and bedroom environments without the need for intrusive hardware.

sense_orb2-800x450.jpg
The primary Sense device is a glow-in-the-dark polycarbonate orb that derives data from factors such as noise, light, temperature, humidity, and air particles to measure sleep quality. Sense also comes with the Sleep Pill, which is a small sensor that clips onto a pillow to track movement with a 6-axis accelerometer and gyroscope.

Sense_app-800x466.jpg
Sense works with its own companion app for iOS to provide users a snapshot of their last night's sleep, offering an overall sleep score in addition a timeline of events throughout the night that triggered movement. The app can even play back noises that were captured by Sense, allowing users to listen to sound disturbances that may have led to an interruption in sleep.

The app also includes a Smart Alarm feature, which works with the Sense monitor and Sleep Pill to wake a user up at the right time. For instance, if a user begins to move more frequently after an extended period of rest, the app's Smart Alarm will sound off in sync with a sleep rhythm. Sense also includes a number of pre-made sounds and alarms to aide the sleeping experience.

The Sense sleep monitor and Sleep Pill can be preordered for a special price of $99 on Kickstarter, with regular pre-orders costing $129 afterward. The first Sense monitors and Sleep Pills are expected to begin shipping in November 2014.

Article Link: Sense Sleep Monitor Tracks Sleep Behavior and Bedroom Environment

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Nice, but not 100% there.

Im a big fan of the sleep cycle alarms for the iphone. Waking up within the right sleep period really makes a difference to how you feel in the morning. It hasn't been done properly yet, but what i was hoping apple would make is a band, such as the concept ones we've seen whereby its tracking your sleep pattern, and then can wake you by vibrating. So far some companies say their system can do it, but they're still not there. Examples are bands that will vibrate, but they're not attached to a sleep tracking app, so will only go off at a set alarm time.

This is were apple should come along and kill it, but unfortunately i think what we're going to see is a watch, which id say many of us already have and dont need again. The band idea would've been perfect.

Ive also tried the apps that say they use your mic to sense when your moving, but they don't work at all!

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I’ve been following this product with some interest, living in the part of London which I do, there are regular police and ambulance sirens as well as shouting “youth”. The light conditions are rarely anything resembling dark. As a result I often find it difficult to get to sleep, but I sleep well when I do.

I am curious to see how this would compare to other sleep monitors due to this, if it would ever rate me as having a good nights sleep.

However it is worth noting that the Sense Pill does not have a replaceable battery and will need to be replaced yearly; pricing for a replacement not yet being released.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I’ve been following this product with some interest, living in the part of London which I do, there are regular police and ambulance sirens as well as shouting “youth”. The light conditions are rarely anything resembling dark. As a result I often find it difficult to get to sleep, but I sleep well when I do.

I am curious to see how this would compare to other sleep monitors due to this, if it would ever rate me as having a good nights sleep.

However it is worth noting that the Sense Pill does not have a replaceable battery and will need to be replaced yearly; pricing for a replacement not yet being released.

In what way would something like this help you? I can see that it would confirm that it was either another siren or drunken yoofs who'd just woken you up, but I'm guessing you'd probably know that anyway - I don't see how it could actually make things any better for people like you who know already what's stopping them getting a decent night's sleep, but can't do anything to change them. Not having a go - just interested.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
a timeline of events throughout the night that triggered movement. The app can even play back noises that were captured by Sense, allowing users to listen to sound disturbances that may have led to an interruption in sleep.

I feel like this is going to be used in a horror movie and/or spirit hunter TV show.

Plus look at the thing - it already looks pretty freaky without it revealing the presence of malicious spirits in your bedroom.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
One major thing that stops me getting to sleep. Any damn light source at all. I have everything turned off or annoying standby lights covered up with tape, thick curtains and no light at all.

A glow on the dark ball? No Thanks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There's a lot of things a product like this could help with. I think the price is good, and I think while some here are complaining about the battery not being replaceable, well after a year of using the product, I don't think you'd need another if you took its analyzations seriously. I mean, by the third month, you should be taking some actions based on the readings. Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I've been curious about a product like this for a while now, as I'm told I sometimes convulse at night and would love a product that could show me when and how much. The current regular ones like the Jawbone UP don't seem suited to this, despite having the sensors to presumably notice it.

Radin.Y

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
Im a big fan of the sleep cycle alarms for the iphone. Waking up within the right sleep period really makes a difference to how you feel in the morning. It hasn't been done properly yet, but what i was hoping apple would make is a band, such as the concept ones we've seen whereby its tracking your sleep pattern, and then can wake you by vibrating. So far some companies say their system can do it, but they're still not there. Examples are bands that will vibrate, but they're not attached to a sleep tracking app, so will only go off at a set alarm time.

Jawbone UP has been doing just that since 2011! It wakes you up by vibration at the best time during your sleep cycle.

NSeven

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Scotland
Also features a hidden webcam and comes with direct link into the NSA so they can see what you are up to when you sleep!

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Nice, but not 100% there.

This is were apple should come along and kill it, but unfortunately i think what we're going to see is a watch, which id say many of us already have and dont need again. The band idea would've been perfect.

Ive also tried the apps that say they use your mic to sense when your moving, but they don't work at all!

My fitbit force did this... ?

----------

In what way would something like this help you? I can see that it would confirm that it was either another siren or drunken yoofs who'd just woken you up, but I'm guessing you'd probably know that anyway - I don't see how it could actually make things any better for people like you who know already what's stopping them getting a decent night's sleep, but can't do anything to change them. Not having a go - just interested.

I think the thing here is that it doesn't help you fall asleep rather it helps you understand what disrupts your sleep cycle; what brings you in and out of REM Sleep... :)

Mr. Frog

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Are the batteries in Sleep Pill replaceable?
At this time, no. We wanted to ensure each Sleep Pill is virtually indestructible and that required us completely sealing them. We are working to make sure each Sleep Pill is as cheap as possible, so you can easily purchase a new one after a year.

Bad bad move!

I have a lot of Bluetooth 4 / ANT+ Bicycle sensors (Heart rate straps, Power meter, GPS Unit, ++) that are in a far worst conditions than being clipped on a pillow and they all have easy to replace CR-232 batteries.

Will not buy that thing with a such limitation!

childlost

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
new york city
They're listening

it's a kickstarter, so it's work in progress. And they're listening. If you go to the kickstarter page, they say they're changing to replaceable batteries.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This is actually a pretty interesting concept. I have gone through a few sleep apps that are available via the App Store. However, I must move around a lot since I would tend to find my phone on the floor in the middle of the night or in the morning. Thus, I would end up deleting the app since I didn't want my iPhone to take a beating from falling out of bed every night.

The companion app seems pretty intuitive, and most importantly, I wouldn't have to lay my iPhone under my pillow before I go to bed at night. This is something I probably would check out. But they need to make the battery in the pill replaceable first.

lisster

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Here is a question though, it says it's "glow in the dark", one of the worst things for sleeping is light.
So if you are trying to get a device to help you sleep better having one glow at night and throw of your sleep is kind of counter intuitive.

I make sure my ipad's and any LED's in the room are shut off or i tend to wake up from them, hope you can turn it off heh.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Sense or Senseless?
Still looks cute. I would rather give it to my dog and measure how hard he chew it.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK

Thats the thing, once I’m asleep I’m not woken up by it. I’m interested to see to what extent I’m able to unconsciously ignore these noises, rather than to what extent they disrupt me.

Plus; I’ve been told I sleep talk, and who isn’t curious about that!

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
this is why people cant sleep because they think to much about it. they buy all types of garbage when all you need is a clear mind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.