Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
so after about 7 months of being available i just wanted to read your opinions about the new mac pro, did you buy it and if so what's your review ?

beefcoder

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Behind you.
Great machine when it is flawless.
(I do have a 6-Core / 32 GB/ D500s / 256 GB).

Under heavy load it is sometimes getting hot. The metal cylinder gets really warm and the ssd is at 60 degrees centigrade.

Be sure to check out the fan's noise (you should only hear the airflow) and the GPU's noise (coil whine seems to be a widspread issue).

Besides it is definitively worth the money and easy to maintain :)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I went from a 3.1 to the nMP. I love the form factor -mine sits up top a filing desk with attached ext thunderbolt array. I never hear it at all. It's fast. I'll keep it probably 5-6 years like I did the last two MP I've owned

medium8080

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I got a 6 core, 64 GB, D700s, & 1TB and I love it for photo and video work.

It's dead quiet, in fact my two monitors make more noise than the nMP does

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I'm using an 8core/D700/1TB/64GB since late january for heavy 3D modeling and rendering.
Really a little great silent machine, absolutely loving it.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
4c/D700s/1TB

The computer gets out of the way and lets me do work which is what I really want. Something that doesn't remind me every time I build that its taking a while to think.

The cool thing is that can also use an iMac as a display via Thunderbolt

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
64GB/256GB/Hex Core/D700/3 x 27" Cinema

At the same time I built up an absolute top of the line PC for gaming, which is similar to the nMP and as good a computer as I could build.

4.6GHz i7 water cooled/AMD 295x2 Water Cooled GPU/32GB/2xSSD RAID/LG 21:9/Thunderbolt 2.0

I don't do benchmarks but evaluate by how it goes in real world use. Notes ...

• The nMP is quieter than the fully water cooled PC by a long shot, and it's a tenth the size
  • The nMP works mostly flawlessly (99%), while the PC is glitchy (just reboot!) and had to be "tamed" when I first turned it on
  • The PC is a much faster computer for much less money, the nMP feels like a stately old grandmother in comparison
  • The PC is far more configurable, with more options than the nMP which practically isn't configurable at all.

I love them both. I prefer the stability of the nMP for my real work, where reboots are intolerable. While there have been a few glitches it has performed as expected. But I paid far less for far more performance with the PC, which is needed for the gaming performance I wanted.

Conclusion; a lot of people strain to turn Mac Pro's in to gaming machines or PC's of some type, I'd never bother unless you really needed to do this. Far, far better to have each for their respective jobs. If I could have only one, it'd have to be a nMP because there's no other way to run OS X. If I didn't have to have OS X I'd do the PC, you get way more for way less.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
6c, 64gb, 1tb, D700. I love it. It's a great option if you don't want the size but need the power of a workstation.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Everything has been amazing except frequent bugs when using Word 2011. I get error messages like bit enough memory and I have finder folders disappear after using word. Didn't have this problem with any other mac.

And when using word, I can hear the coil whine chirping very so often. Don't know why Word is causing my only headache.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I went from a 3.1 to the nMP. I love the form factor -mine sits up top a filing desk with attached ext thunderbolt array. I never hear it at all. It's fast. I'll keep it probably 5-6 years like I did the last two MP I've owned

8 core / 32GB / 1TB / D500 - it's an amazing machine, rock solid and dead quiet. The only thing I'm not a fan of is my continuing reliability issues with Time Machine utilizing an external (obviously) drive. It backs up stuff from the nMP and my Drobo 5D. Sometimes the TM back up just hangs.

I've had my machine since February.

clemahieu

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
6 core / 64gb / 1tb ssd / 2xD700

Flawless execution. Runs 3x Dell U2412M 1920x1200 + World Community Grid (CPU saturation) + Einstein@home (GPU saturation) + Linux (4gb)/Windows(4gb) VMWare Fusion VMs + XCode C++ compilations simultaneously without any issue.

Runs bootcamp Windows 8 + Steam games without any issue.

Body gets warm when running full-tilt grid computing, 30-35c in a room that's 20-25c no crashes or glitches from hardware whatsoever.

10/10.

Lastmboy

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
No problems with mine, whatsoever, and more impressive than expected. Doesn't make a sound at all. Only warm air coming out of the top. It boots up in seconds. Setup my ProTools/Logic Pro studio system in under 2 hours and it works flawlessly.

I love this little guy!!! :D

Attachments

• P1010842.JPG
    P1010842.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 269

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
so after about 7 months of being available i just wanted to read your opinions about the new mac pro, did you buy it and if so what's your review ?

I got the 8 core/64GB/512GB/D700 and I think from a average user perspective it's amazing, and second to none.

However, it's slower than I want it to be from a high end workstation graphics perspective. I would like to see a version with dual R9 295 graphics instead of dual 280x (D700) as the fastest option. Or better yet dual Quatro K6000.

newcronos

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
The machine itself is amazing (I basically agree with all the excellent reviews of the performance (in this thread and everywhere else), but I found that the physical build quality (outside of the metal parts) of this thing surprisingly terrible.

Plastic for RAM sockets? I can never understand why they decided to do this. Even the standard RAM sockets that they have in MacMini/Macbook will work great (with the metal clips), but no, they have to make it all in plastic. Thin, easily broken/bent plastic, too.

The metal body look great and solid, but then you open it up and found cheaply looking things in there. It was such a turn off. The unit that came through my desk a month ago, had a malfunctioning RAM socket, in addition to the socket being bent a little so it's skewed/uneven at the top. It looked really bad, and on top of that I had to return it right away to have the broken socket repaired (it won't recognize any RAM stick being inserted there).

Zeiss

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
64GB/256GB/Hex Core/D700/3 x 27" Cinema

At the same time I built up an absolute top of the line PC for gaming, which is similar to the nMP and as good a computer as I could build.

4.6GHz i7 water cooled/AMD 295x2 Water Cooled GPU/32GB/2xSSD RAID/LG 21:9/Thunderbolt 2.0

I don't do benchmarks but evaluate by how it goes in real world use. Notes ...

• The nMP is quieter than the fully water cooled PC by a long shot, and it's a tenth the size
  • The nMP works mostly flawlessly (99%), while the PC is glitchy (just reboot!) and had to be "tamed" when I first turned it on
  • The PC is a much faster computer for much less money, the nMP feels like a stately old grandmother in comparison
  • The PC is far more configurable, with more options than the nMP which practically isn't configurable at all.

I love them both. I prefer the stability of the nMP for my real work, where reboots are intolerable. While there have been a few glitches it has performed as expected. But I paid far less for far more performance with the PC, which is needed for the gaming performance I wanted.

Conclusion; a lot of people strain to turn Mac Pro's in to gaming machines or PC's of some type, I'd never bother unless you really needed to do this. Far, far better to have each for their respective jobs. If I could have only one, it'd have to be a nMP because there's no other way to run OS X. If I didn't have to have OS X I'd do the PC, you get way more for way less.

4.6 i7.......?

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
12 Core / 64GB of RAM / 1TB Internal Storage

Been several months now, I have no real complaints. It's been flawless, reliable, and a workhorse. I don't do much heavy-duty stuff, so most of the time its sitting idly by at 1% load, taunting me to "bring it" but when I do throw heavy lifting, it giggles, and churns right through it.

I could use another pair of USB ports as I currently have more USB than Thunderbolt stuff, but I'm not hurting either.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I matched mine with the TBD giving me the extra USBs right on the TB bus, and with the Sonnet Echo box I have the storage needs covered:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.