Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I love stats and a good datagasm and find articles like this to be really poor journalism.

Throw in a meaningless chart with no y axis that greatly exaggerates the small percentage increase - state "mac traffic" without any qualification of what sites are being monitored, et voila! A story akin to that we may see later in the year saying that iPhone 6 sales numbers have increased after having just gone on sale. :rolleyes: Lame.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have it installed. It's just not usable for me full-time yet. Totally different when Mavericks was in Beta where I was using it the whole time.

Will most likely end up dual booting once GM comes out.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have it installed. It's just not usable for me full-time yet. Totally different when Mavericks was in Beta where I was using it the whole time.

Will most likely end up dual booting once GM comes out.

I started the download and a 1/4 thru it I cancelled the download. I decided to wait for the full release.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I did my bit and reported three bugs already. I'm sure they've been submitted but worth sending them in and helping out. I found the OS to look nice but didn't feel right. Dark mode is great and icons in the menu bar finally look like ios7s and look flatter with less bevelling/highlighting.

Things i don't like are few but i think in general most is an improvement over mavericks.

- the black dot beneath the dock icons is lacking, the white light in mavericks is just plain better looking.
- The flat dock, i'm sure i'll get used to it but it feels like a huge block of space is being taken up vs the 3d dock that feels less heavy.
- icons throughout the os, ugly, just plain ugly, i don't think ios7 is great but these are worse and so inconsistent and colours are so far off the mark it's unreal.
- default maximise button behaviour, pressing alt to get an app to fill the screen is a fudge and not a fix. it would have been best to have got rid of the now outdated three orbs and put some icons up there instead that match apples whole aesthetic, they could have even just gone with four icons there if needed. I hate that you don't know what they are, even windows gets it's right and that is saying a lot!
- Default settings in general for things like battery not showing percentage, yes they're changeable but come on apple just a few changes here and there make a system so much more useable.

I don't claim to have the best taste but I like how my desktop looks right now in mavericks and it's pretty stock. Apple should have gone with ios7 styled icons and tied the whole thing together, I think it looks great, heres my desktop as proof!
Screen-Shot-2014-07-26-at-00.53.25.jpg

MrSeanR

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
It's more or less stable for me. Logic, and amplitube, the bulk of my major workflow apps are running like a dream.

Somehow the beta killed one of my USB ports though. Hopefully just a simple firmware fix.

NoNig

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
Uninstalled it after a few hours.

It downloaded and installed just fine. I did however notice some flickering in some of the scroll bars and cut/capped text pieces in system settings.

However. It would freeze up my computer whenever it was returning from sleep. There was like a 30 sec latency between the computer turning on and the backlight for the LCD to turn on. When it did turn on, the curser was missing and the computer was frozen at the moment when it was put into sleep (judged by the time of the frozen clock), and the only solution would be a hard reset.

My username, in the upper right corner, would sometimes flicker whenever I would mouse over.

All the little things doesn't bother me, really. It is, after all, just a public beta and I treated it as such. Did submit my findings, before rolling back to Mavericks (which took less than an hour anyway, so I'm fine).

The biggest turn off, besides the problem regarding sleep, was the look itself.

I couldn't help but feel like Yosemite indeed is designed with Retina in mind. The text looked fuzzy (did try different settings, no dice) and the overall feel was just, like... "Mavericks with a new skin". The redesign of the OS and apps, was top notch. That I did like. But the fuzzy 'feel' and bright colors didn't really do it for me [the dark theme was awesome].

I know. I know. I'm rockin' an old MacBook Pro Early 2008, and it's soon going to die on me. I just love the machine - primarily since its still working (almost) just fine. I know, I know. It's just an old 1440x900 pixels non-Retina.

But still. It shouldn't feel that damn fuzzy :confused:

Good luck to the rest of you. I do like Yosemite. But, there are a few rough edges that have to be smoothed, before I make the final switch.

It's a damn shame, that the sleep function was so troublesome, because I feel that Yosemite has the potential to be the best version of OS X.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Why not just install it on another partition to play with. That's what I and a lot of people have done. I don't think it's quite ready to be my daily driver, but in a few iterations, it probably will be. I am very tempted to get IOS 8, but I can't have my phone crashing on me. So that probably isn't a real option yet.

Hi guys...I just have Yosemite installed on a USB 3 external drive. Used migration assistant to get my stuff from the internal SSD on my iMac. Some stuff needed updating. Like little snitch, CleanmyMac 2 and my VPN software (Golden Frog). Other stuff like Typeit4me and My IP 2 and iPassword worked of the bat.
I really do like it. I do like the look of Safari but not the dock/menu bar dark mode. The Finder is very fast even off an external USB drive. Interestingly the installer wouldn't recognise my external TB drives.
But for all that I'm going to wait until the GM is released before going from Mavericks on the internal drive:rolleyes:

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Good. Maybe this will result in more and better bug reports.

If you expect this to happen, Apple would need to put a huge glowing button right in the middle of the screen which says "Report Bugs" which opens a very fancy designed application extremely simple to report bugs.

Apples bugreport is just way too hidden. You have to go to to a forum like this where people continue to say "just file a bugreport" and, if you are lucky, get a webaddress, then go to that address and find out that you need to register, fill out forms. This is the point where most people just stop and hope someone else does it. That's how apple bug reporting goes. I never stumbled upone anyone else but me who actually reports bugs. It is just no use. And considering the last bug reports I made, I do hesitate more than ever, to even bother.

Frankly, I don't think most who download the public beta even know that there is the possibility to report. I did not know for years. They just download for being one step ahead. I can already hear my collegues saying "hey look, I got the new system, cool, right?". And that's all there is to.

NoNig

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
If you expect this to happen, Apple would need to put a huge glowing button right in the middle of the screen which says "Report Bugs" which opens a very fancy designed application extremely simple to report bugs.

Apples bugreport is just way too hidden. You have to go to to a forum like this where people continue to say "just file a bugreport" and, if you are lucky, get a webaddress, then go to that address and find out that you need to register, fill out forms. This is the point where most people just stop and hope someone else does it. That's how apple bug reporting goes. I never stumbled upone anyone else but me who actually reports bugs. It is just no use. And considering the last bug reports I made, I do hesitate more than ever, to even bother.

Frankly, I don't think most who download the public beta even know that there is the possibility to report. I did not know for years. They just download for being one step ahead. I can already hear my collegues saying "hey look, I got the new system, cool, right?". And that's all there is to.

I don't know if you're aware of it or not. But in the [Yosemite] beta there is a "Feedback Assistant" and - dare I say - it'd be hard not to notice it :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wanna stay a public beta tester..... ::D always

I hope they never release Yosemite...

(No, don't do that)

There is an advantage.... If the release gets delays, more bugs can be fixed by "us" and thus not as many "oh,,, mail still doesn't work correctly" crap.

FYI. neat wallpaper

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I don't know if you're aware of it or not. But in the [Yosemite] beta there is a "Feedback Assistant" and - dare I say - it'd be hard not to notice it :)
Ok, I was not aware of that. I have the dev preview, not the public beta.

Would be interesting to see some screenshots. How does a report look like? Is it easy? Someone, please?

I have never heard of it. Are the public beta testers forced to submit feedback? That would suck.

Last edited:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Very strange.... So you're saying, if you make a product available to more people, more people will have the product? :mindblown:

NoNig

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
Ok, I was not aware of that. I have the dev preview, not the public beta.

Would be interesting to see some screenshots. How does a report look like? Is it easy? Someone, please?

I have never heard of it. Are the public beta testers forced to submit feedback? That would suck.

It's pretty straightforward actually. The first time you boot into Yosemite (beta), a popup asks you if you wanna use the app or do it manually - I suppose the alternative to the app is the procedure you described earlier.

An app icon is placed on the Dock per default. You click the icon, select the relevant parameters (which app was causing trouble, or, what did you notice), write a descriptive header and fill out the form. The you fill out (via drop downs) how the problem affects your usage of Yosemite, you hit submit and a report is generated. When done, you hit "send", and that's it :)

I can try to submit some screen shots if you'd like that? :)

EDIT: Attached images :)

Attachments

• yosemite1.png
    yosemite1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • yosemite2.png
    yosemite2.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 64
  • yosemite3.png
    yosemite3.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 87
  • yosemite4.png
    yosemite4.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Attached images :)

Thanks. I think this could be interesting for other users as well. It is a bit easyer than bugreporter. No need to cumbersomly (is that a word?) split your problem into issue, observe, expect, resolve and such. You just write, what the problem is, period. I hope the assistant will stay as an application for example in the utilities folder.

NoNig

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
I hope the assistant will stay as an application for example in the utilities folder.

Agreed. Not only that, but also the ability/posibility of making it system-wide - like in Help -> Send [app] Feedback.

I don't know, if it also could be made into something like "Send a suggestion"-solution also. That could be awesome :)

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011

Apples bugreport is just way too hidden. You have to go to to a forum like this where people continue to say "just file a bugreport" and, if you are lucky, get a webaddress, then go to that address and find out that you need to register

Hmmm, interesting! So far I always thought for end-users it would be

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

(and interestingly when you choose a software it also has a "Feedback Type" category "bug report").

The problem with the later: you can only fill out a "Comment field" (+ the usual "Which OS version" etc. fields), but cannot e.g. upload files such as screen shots.

And I just tried the "bugreport" URL that you gave and I could login with my existing Apple ID!

I did once register as a "developer" (in order to download Xcode, IIRC), but am not a member of any "Apple Developer Program" (where you have to pay 99$ a year).

So far I thought such bug report systems were only accessible for (paying) developers. But maybe they still have yet another bug tracking system, since developers tend to provide more useful info than the usual "EPIC FAIL! Apple fix this! It ain't working!" kind of info ;) (Well, not all developers maybe, but most do, I am sure ;))

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
Encouraging to see Apple offering public betas. Hopefully they will continue with that and have public betas of iOS 9 next year. Of course after iOS 9 we'll have iOS X... hopefully we won't get stuck with that name for a decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.