Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Claimed internal components for the iPhone 6 are beginning to surface with increasing frequency as it is now likely less than two months until launch. In line with those developments, a new set of photos [Google Translate] shared by Nowhereelse.fr reveal what appears to be the bare logic board of the iPhone 6, likely the 4.7-inch model.

According to Nowehereelse.fr, the source who shared the photos of the parts claims the iPhone 6 will include support for both near field communication (NFC) and faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi, although neither of those claims can be confirmed from the photos themselves. NFC for the iPhone has been rumored for years, but has yet to come to fruition and rumors are once again split as to whether the iPhone 6 will include the technology. 802.11ac seems to be a natural upgrade for the iPhone now that appropriate chips are available.

iphone_6_5s_logic_boards.jpg
The logic board bears a number of similarities to corresponding parts from other iPhones, although this part includes a much longer piece extending across what would be the top of the device. Given the larger body size of the iPhone 6, however, it is unsurprising that internal components could see some changes to their design and layout.

iphone_6_logic_board_screw_holes.jpg
Overlay of logic board and rear shell
Screw holes in the board also appear to line up with ones seen in recent leaks of claimed rear shell parts for the iPhone 6, indicating they are indeed likely from the same device.

Annotation of likely iPhone 6 logic board component locations
(Click for larger)
With the photos showing only the bare printed board and no chips or other components installed, it is difficult to tell much new information from the part, although the locations of some components can be identified based on their similarities to other iPhone logic boards.

The iPhone 6 is expected to see a similar launch timeframe as in recent years, with a September media event introduction followed by a launch shortly after. While the 4.7-inch model is expected to follow this timeline, an even larger 5.5-inch model is said to still be in flux and may not debut until several months later.

Article Link: Bare iPhone 6 Logic Board Surfaces, Claimed to Support NFC and 802.11ac Wi-Fi

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Am I the only one who's more excited for 802.11ac instead of NFC? :cool:

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i have yet to be asked to enable NFC on my secondary Nexus device to do anything with it after a year of owning it

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
i have yet to be asked to enable NFC on my secondary Nexus device to do anything with it after a year of owning it

Might be because Google doesn't have iBeacon's installed in a lot of places all over the world.

Which BTW makes me think that unknown piece of iBeacon hardware we saw earlier is more than likely the new Apple TV.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
You just don't find this kind of craftsmanship in Android phones. Really impressive. :apple:

that's what i thought. have you seen the tear down of the fire phone? i have no clue about what's going on there engineering-wise but it looks like a mess:

Attachments

• 5ikIuulCQbRomALk.huge.jpeg
    5ikIuulCQbRomALk.huge.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 1,045

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Kinda makes me mad if NFC happens on the iPhone, because NFC should have been part of iPhone 5 and 5S already. I thought it was because Apple had something completely different in mind (iBeacons and such).

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada

At least you can say you had NFC "first." That's more important than how useful it is to some people. ;)

I'm surprised they haven't made their rounds here yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.