Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
If this is true I'm disappointed they haven't upgraded the 750m to the 850m. It has been 278 days since the last update and other manufacturers have been shipping 8xx series GPU's on their notebooks for months. :(

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Speaking for myself: no interest at all at current MBPs. Waiting for that 12-inch-thing revolutionising the notebook market.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If this is true I'm disappointed they haven't upgraded the 750m to the 850m. It has been 278 days since the last update and other manufacturers have been shipping 8xx series GPU's on their notebooks for months. :(
Well this is Apple...

I have not expected the latest GPUs for nearly a decade now.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Gpu

I understand why Apple doesn't like dGPUs on laptops: They cause problems, they take a lot of space, they are perhaps the main cause of failure from a hardware POV and you just can't trust Nvidia and AMD.

However, this is Apple. This is the company that is putting the mobile processor industry on fire and "buying" engineers from everybody related with SoC left and right. This is the company that cofounded ARM, and the company that puts 35 million A7 asskickingdespite1yearold processors on their devices, each quarter.

If Apple isn't ready to take the same aggressive approach to the Mac line yet (not our fault), at least have the decency to put uptodate graphics card on their computers (8xx).

While you are at it, put a decent screen on your flagship computer, the computer that is seen as the best overall by everybody: MBAir. It's shameful bean counting.

Having said that, despite their flaws, there's not a single manufacturer with such great PCs. Mainly because they sell a product, not hardware parts put together. No one else sells products, besides MS and the failure that is the SP3.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Loving the 16GB standard.

I'll be buying a new macbook next year (I have a 2009 MBP) and it's nice to know that even if I wait for broadwell, 16GB should be standard.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I understand why Apple doesn't like dGPUs on laptops: They cause problems, they take a lot of space, they are perhaps the main cause of failure from a hardware POV and you just can't trust Nvidia and AMD.

However, this is Apple. This is the company that is putting the mobile processor industry on fire and "buying" engineers from everybody related with SoC left and right. This is the company that cofounded ARM, and the company that puts 35 million A7 asskickingdespite1yearold processors on their devices, each quarter.

If Apple isn't ready to take the same aggressive approach to the Mac line yet (not our fault), at least have the decency to put uptodate graphics card on their computers (8xx).

While you are at it, put a decent screen on your flagship computer, the computer that is seen as the best overall by everybody: MBAir. It's shameful bean counting.

Having said that, despite their flaws, there's not a single manufacturer with such great PCs. Mainly because they sell a product, not hardware parts put together. No one else sells products, besides MS and the failure that is the SP3.
The display and the lack of a HDMI port are why I skipped the Air for the Macbook Pro.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
I'm more bothered by the ever growing list of Apple products that look increasingly semi-abandoned.

Zombie Product List - Thunderbolt Display, Mac Mini, Tragic Mouse, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPod Classic

Rubbish Product List - any Apple power supply, any Apple cables, Tragic Mouse, Apple TV, Zombie Product List sans Mac Mini, iTunes

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
No plans to update my systems for at least another 2 years or so yet!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm more bothered by the ever growing list of Apple products that look increasingly semi-abandoned.

Zombie Product List - Thunderbolt Display, Mac Mini, Tragic Mouse, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPod Classic

Rubbish Product List - any Apple power supply, any Apple cables, Tragic Mouse, Apple TV, Zombie Product List sans Mac Mini, iTunes

...what kind of update is the magic mouse supposed to get? A better processor?

The iPod lines sales numbers are a clear reason why unless there is a significant paradigm shift, there is nothing that warrants upgrading the line.

As for the rest, these are products that will likely be updated by the holiday season.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Screw the ram upgrade. It's the cheapest and lamest piece of hardware they can throw in and call that an upgrade from the precious model. It's adds little to no value to the laptop.

Bump the processor, a larger SSD and new discrete graphics.

750m...what a joke.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
14,288 RMB -> 2,307.40 USD

18,688 RMB -> 3,017.97 USD

23,688 RMB -> 3,825.43 USD

I doubt they are adding a third standard configuration. I think the third column is just showing the top-of-the-line configuration. I don't think there is a huge demand for 3,500+ USD machines.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
All I wanted was an 850M... Not even Broadwell just an 850M.
Never mind, Broadwell must be the slowest chip launch in Intel's history, it's like they are deliberately slowing developing :roll eyes:.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Good ol' MacRumors. Always searching other Mac sites for "news".

Then again I should probably just be happy that MacRumors has actual Mac news on its front page. It's nice to see iToys news slip below the fold occasionally.

Last edited:

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Forgot to mention that I'm stoked for the update and have been waiting for a small spec bump for a while now. The 3rd option with a TB HD looks good for me.

Chibatastic

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I will argue that photoshop isn't that hard to use with little training and that these are fake.

The new MBP will likely come with the 860m as previous rumors have stated.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple may be planning to launch a slightly refreshed line of 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros complete with faster Haswell processors and 16GB of RAM standard, according to a photo said to have come from the company's Chongqing, China store (via BBS Feng, Google Translate).

The purported pricing chart shows two standard configurations priced at 14,288 yuan and 18,688 yuan, which is the same as Apple's current pricing for its 15-inch notebook line in China. If real, this pricing chart would indicate that Apple would keep its current pricing instead of offering each new model for less as done for the MacBook Air earlier this year.

The first configuration comes with a faster Intel Core i7 2.2 GHz processor and 16GB of RAM standard compared to the current 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 and 8GB of RAM found on the current base model 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro. Meanwhile, the second configuration features a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and the same 16GB of RAM, up from the current 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. Both models feature the same graphics, with the first configuration coming with Intel's Iris Pro graphics and the second coming with both the Iris Pro and NVIDIA's GeForce GT 750M.

A third high-end configuration priced at 23,688 yuan also appears on the chart, boasting a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1TB of flash storage, and Intel's Iris Pro graphics plus a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

All of the processors listed on the chart correspond to Intel's new line of Core i7 Haswell processors launched last week, perhaps indicating that an updated 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro line may be imminent. Apple's line of 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros should also see an update in the near future, as Intel also launched new Core i5 Haswell processors alongside its refreshed i7 Haswell chips.

A minor refresh of the Retina MacBook Pro line was originally noted earlier this year alongside a rumored 12-inch Retina MacBook. According to the latest reports, the 12-inch Retina MacBook may be pushed back to next year because of Intel's delayed Broadwell chips.

Article Link: Chart Suggests Speed-Bumped 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pros with 16GB of RAM Standard Coming Soon

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
This doesn't even make me feel that bad after buying the current model 2 weeks ago...

Probably still would have waited if I knew that they were coming soon, but who knows how long it'll take for these to come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.