Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Ummm... No you don't have to say her name everytime. I use her on my Lumia 1520. I'm in the UK and she is only in Beta for the U.S, but already I get better functionality and more consistant voice recognition.

Annoying choice of pronoun... :p

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Well, can't really argue with the ad. Siri is getting better at contextual questions, but still behind Google and MS in that respect.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Google Now produces a lot more accurate results for me. I have a non-native English accent.

According to Apple maps, my country is a huge land with 2 or three roads in it. While Google maps shows almost every road and directions, navigations works perfectly.

I still can't believe why I'm still using the iPhone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Siri is the worst. doesnt even give you a chance to think of what you wanna say while you are at it without being thrown off with gibberish

google now is more smooth in that area even tho i disabled both asap. no use for it as you end up spell checking and correcting stuff that takes longer than just typing it yourself

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
The only reason I have an iPhone is I develop iOS apps for clients.

Last edited:

Tpoccu

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Ugh, still using the old voice even though they're depicting iOS 7. But more glaringly, I create location based reminders primarily with Siri, what are they talking about?

----------

Seems to be lifted from the Halo game series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortana

It's not that Siri can't make location based reminders, it's a very specific case where it's a reminder based on a type of location (flower shop) rather than a specific location (555 A st, "home", or "current location")

arturmeireles

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Portugal
I have both Iphone 5S and a Nokia Lumia 1020. Although I like Siri I have to admit Cortana is better in a way that she gives you more features like the one in the ad like "next time my father calls me remind me to ask if my mother feels better" Or automatic traffic allert. The only downside of Cortana is that only work in the US, UK and China so far.

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
does anyone actually use "siri" or "cortana"? the only thing i use dictation for is texting down the interstate

----------

Google Now produces a lot more accurate results for me. I have a non-native English accent.

According to Apple maps, my country is a huge land with 2 or three roads in it. While Google maps shows almost every road and directions, navigations works perfectly.

The only reason I have an iPhone is I develop iOS apps for clients.

i guess you answered your own question

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
User to Siri: "I'm depressed today, Siri. Any advice?"

Siri: "Yes Dave, all humans go through depression at some point in their lives. May I recommend counseling, or perhaps a therapist? I could look one up for you."

User to Siri: "I dunno Siri. I don't really feel like seeing a shrink, don't really see how that's going to help. But thanks anyways."

Siri: "You're welcome Dave."

—

User to Cortana: "I'm depressed today, Cortana. Any advice?"

Cortana: "I found 4 shops that sell handguns in the vicinity. Go kill yourself."

User to Cortana: "Wow Cortana, you get right to the point, dontcha? Very contextual, huh?"

Cortana: "You're welcome Dave."

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
All this add really highlights (along with Samsungs) is that Apple is still the bar to which all other companies aspire. Do some of these other phones have better features? Of course they do, yet Apple is still, after all this time, the one to beat.

Remember all those forgotten about phones that were 'iPhone killers'? Remember all those people who said YEARS ago that Apple was doomed and were done for?

Apple has set the bar and is still sitting happily on top after all this time.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
All siri like personal assistants will be able to do this in a year. I just see this as good ideas that every manufacturer will develop. By ios9, I'm sure siri will be able to do this.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Ugh, still using the old voice even though they're depicting iOS 7.
It's intensely recognisable. The original Siri voice will always be recognised by more people than the new one.

This might actually be a great software, but I'd be a lot less biased if they didn't directly compare their phone to the iPhone. Especially the Siri voice basically literally saying "I'm such a bad phone, the Lumia is much better" is just uncreative and dumb. It's really lazy advertising in my eyes.
I actually think it's effective advertising. Being biased is the whole point of advertising.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
All siri like personal assistants will be able to do this in a year. I just see this as good ideas that every manufacturer will develop. By ios9, I'm sure siri will be able to do this.

Hopefully 8.1

Bskippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Annoying choice of pronoun... :p

Sorry XD After playing the Halo games I keep forgetting that Cortana on the phone isn't supposed to have a gender. Although saying that I prefer her with a females voice. The male voice just doesn't sit right with me. :)

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
I like this one a lot more than Samsung's recent ad - it's poking light fun at Apple while not constructing scenarios which make no sense outside ad space.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Yes it's an ad and yes it's biased, but they have a point there - the comparison is valid. Siri is lacking in features compared to both Cortana and Google Now.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010

Agree: Apple maps isn't there yet - I use Google Maps on my iPhone.
There is also google voice recognition support, but it only does google searches.

To be honest, I've turned Siri off - I kept activating it by accident. If it gets good enough to use in the car without pressing any buttons, I might reenable it on my next device. But otherwise, it's a junk feature for me.

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
IDK why everyone is always putting down siri. The only thing I find it REALLY sucks at is things involving street names.

Considering that at work I've noticed how often we are given the wrong address to go to because someone misheard the street name over the phone I'm not surprised.

Google Now (for the questions I ask at least) is horrible. It gets points for speed, typing while you talk and working offline but I can never get it to play music correctly. That's probably my most used voice command so that's probably why I'm sour on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.