Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's reported spotting of in-store digital signage from an Apple retail store in China showing upgraded specs for the Retina MacBook Pro, MacG.co now claims [Google Translate] the update is set to arrive tomorrow, July 29. The information comes from a reliable source who has accurately predicted MacBook Air, iMac, and iPod touch updates in recent months, although the source was off by a few days on the iPod touch update timing.

Few details on the new Retina MacBook Pros are available from the source other than that the update will include both 13-inch and 15-inch models and that only minor changes to the internal model number (J44a and J45a respectively) point to a simple speed bump.

mbp_retina_late_2014_chart-800x600.jpg

The in-store digital signage had shown details on three 15-inch MacBook Pro models, all carrying "Haswell refresh" processors clocking in at 200 MHz faster than their counterparts currently used in the Retina MacBook Pro line. Those new Haswell chips were introduced by Intel last week, and we noted at the time that the list of three dual-core and three quad-core processors appeared almost custom tailored for a Retina MacBook Pro update.

In addition to the processor upgrades, the signage also pointed to a bump in RAM for the low-end 15-inch model, moving from 8 GB to 16 GB.

While the Retina MacBook Pro upgrade appears imminent, the minor update is in large part a stopgap measure as Apple and other manufacturers await Intel's much-delayed Broadwell family of processors. Broadwell chips appropriate for the Retina MacBook Pro may not be ready until as late as mid-2015.

Update 1:22 PM: MacRumors has received word that seven new model numbers are indeed incoming to retail stores, likely corresponding to the three stock configurations of the 13-inch model and two for the 15-inch model, along with a maxed-out "ultimate" configuration of each as is commonly carried in-store.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Updates Reportedly Due Tuesday, July 29: Minor Haswell CPU Updates Expected

Last edited:

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
That 750m is a huge disappointment. I would have expected them to move from Kepler to Maxwell at least.

Maxwell is MUCH better suited for notebooks.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes 16GB RAM will not be standard...there are showing us only the configuratation with 16gb ram and the CPU boost
so only the cpu from 2 to 2.2 and from 2.3 to 2.5 and from 2.6 to 2.8

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just *after* i bought my 13" Retina .....

They never bump these things up before i buy mine. :apple:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
yes 16GB RAM will not be standard...there are showing us only the configuratation with 16gb ram and the CPU boost
so only the cpu from 2 to 2.2 and from 2.3 to 2.5 and from 2.6 to 2.8

In every Apple Store are available for purchase 3 configurations. Base, mid end and top-end with every spec maxed out.

That is exactly what is shown on this image.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
My mate bought a MBP a couple of weeks ago, even after I told him to wait, grr..

What are the chances Apple would straight swap him out for a new model if he took it instore, and would it be worth it?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
In every Apple Store are available for purchase 3 configurations. Base, mid end and top-end with every spec maxed out.

That is exactly what is shown on this image.

For the 15" are only 2 configurations

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What are the reason why apple would do such a small speed bump ? 200MHz is next to nothing.. let alone anything to freak out about.

Other than just marketing.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
What are the reason why apple would do such a small speed bump ? 200MHz is next to nothing.. let alone anything to freak out about.

Like for the rest of them...from time to time they make a speed bump
there was for the 13" macbook pro and for macbook air as well

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
For the 15" is only 2 configurations

Go to Apple Store, and ask about MBP 15 inch what configurations they have in stock.

They will tell you exactly what i said. Base, mid-end, and top with every spec maxed out.

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014

It's practically the same machine anyway. You really didn't miss anything.

I'll be disappointed if it's just a speed bump and nothing else, like more RAM as standard, or a price drop.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Go to Apple Store, and ask about MBP 15 inch what configurations they have in stock.

They will tell you exactly what i said. Base, mid-end, and top with every spec maxed out.

When i bought mine they only got the base and the high end model with 750M
what is the mid range config?

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011

I believe you can exchange it for the equivalent new model within 30 days of purchase? (You can do so in Germany at least).

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
seems apple is doing un-noteworthy updates across their entire product line this year. :(

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
When i bought mine they only got the base and the high end model with 750M
what is the mid range config?

MId end is stock high end MBP. Without the 1 TB SSD and CTO CPU.

If you will spec model with GT750M with 2.6 GHz CPU and 1 TB SSD - that is top-end Retina.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
seems apple is doing un-noteworthy updates across their entire product line this year. :(

And yet on the last earnings call Cook said Mac sales increased double digits YOY. I'm sure the $100 price cut on the Air's was one reason. I guess the question is does this mean no new macs until next spring or will we still get new stuff this fall?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
And yet on the last earnings call Cook said Mac sales increased double digits YOY. I'm sure the $100 price cut on the Air's was one reason. I guess the question is does this mean no new macs until next spring or will we still get new stuff this fall?

Still there is Mini and Mac Pro to be updated.

;)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
MId end is stock high end MBP. Without the 1 TB SSD and CTO CPU.

If you will spec model with GT750M with 2.6 GHz CPU and 1 TB SSD - that is top-end Retina.

here they ddin't have only the 2 Ghz with 8 G ram and 256 SSD and the high end 2.3 ghz 512 SSD and 16 GB RAM+750M

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014

It's more Intel's fault than Apple's. Had Intel been on time with their chips, we would've seen a new and noteworthy MBP update. I guess all the major stuff has been pushed back to March 2015.

I'm sure by then they'll roll everything out together with many new bells and whistles.

urtext

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
The Netherlands

The excitement is because Apple didn't update these machines for almost a year. De facto, you would spend your money on a processor which is almost a year old. To fill the gap untill the Broadwell machines come out, this is the least what Apple can do. It certainly makes me excited.

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
If they can't make it interesting with new internals, how about updating the exterior a little? Their laptop designs are stale.

Why not wait until Broadwell which will mean that they can pull off a thinner body because of less power hungry chips? It wouldn't be the best they could do if they updated the design now, as they can achieve more with the next-gen chips.

If they update this year, then they won't with Broadwell. It makes much more sense for them to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.