Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You can ask her/him to remind you to do something when u leave a place... Or when u get to a place.. But not the next time you talk to a person

I see usability issues:

1. When the person calls, instead of letting you to talk, the OS distracts you with a reminder popup. That could be quite annoying.
  2. What if that person never calls you?

Why not just call them first - if it's that important? And if it's not that important, why are you creating reminders?

I think there's a reason Apple left this out.

Last edited:

zeboulon

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
The meaning of Cortana according to Cortana

"I am named after Cortana, the AI from Halo.
Or since she's 500 years in the future, she may have named herself
after me."

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Siri also isnt multilingual so using the music feature is utterly pointless trying to get it to play songs by an english artist when its set to german or spanish is nearly impossible.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
I understand their point but is it me or is it getting pretty stale to see them constantly bashing apple products to try and win people over. I just feel bad for them honestly.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
..and this "compare" will always continue, to try and bash other products only when they know they SIri, can't do it, or Siri can't do that.

I mean, doe it really matter now days,,, just get the phone you want and quick complaining MS.

It's not a race to the finish line, although most manufactures reckon it is..

It's about time companies know its about choice... & features ...that's it

If that is really important to you, then why bother coming out with the bashing/suttle difference ?

They make it sound like it's a big deal...... As, though any company actually enjoys bashing other products..... Try not to loose your kool Microsoft.

You haven't got much left.

You can bet though now MS to take a stab... Apple will have to follow suit with this "new phone that does something better than this MS phone"

I'm getting tired of the whole race..... (What else is on)

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
It's a fact that Siri is a joke. It hardly ever works, but still people defend it. I use Google Now on my 4S and it just works better.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Siri also isnt multilingual so using the music feature is utterly pointless trying to get it to play songs by an english artist when its set to german or spanish is nearly impossible.

Then stop using Siri? Cortana only has English and Chinese so it would not be better at using German or Spanish.

----------

It's a fact that Siri is a joke. It hardly ever works, but still people defend it. I use Google Now on my 4S and it just works better.

No. Thats your opinion. According to me Siri is great.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Siri was a great innovation, to be sure, but apple never really did anything with it. Google, and MS not only caught up with it, but surpassed Siri in features and abilities.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
For one, MS never has the "....this is in BETA." and will come come "out of beta"

Maybe this is why Apple did this? so they can pull a good reason "Hey,, siri was in beta, there are no reason for forced improvements" It would be just "wherever the hell we feel like it"

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Siri works perfectly for me for everything i need it for, use it daily.

Also ironic considering Bungee developed Halo for the mac before Microsoft bought them.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Siri is that feature that every new iPhone user tests for 10 minutes and then forgets about it. Not only doesn't it support my native language, but it also has issues with slavic accent when speaking English. Anyway, I should be glad we're getting dictation support for Polish this fall. Besides, there's not much to do with Siri. You also look creepy talking to it on the bus etc.

As to Cortana - it seems better, except it doesn't support A LOT of languages. I also doubt it can really do anything more than Siri where I live. I bet it won't be used much as well.

As to the ad - it's not bad. Apple did the same thing a few years ago and world didn't mind. Don't be upset - it's much better than what Samsung does and Microsoft has a point here. Of course they're showing parts where Windows Phone is better. The problems start when you go to Nokia's website just to find out what can you get to replace your iPhone 4S. It turns out all their phones except huge ones are rubbish (bigger = better there, duh).

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Ugh, still using the old voice even though they're depicting iOS 7. But more glaringly, I create location based reminders primarily with Siri, what are they talking about?

----------

]

I think the key is that he did not specify which flowershop, he just said 'any flowershop', conceivably, this could potentially remind him even if he's at the grocery store. Maybe SIRI can do that..I know google now can't.

However, we can be sure they'll both be updated to match Cortana's capabilities.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Siri works fine for many people, depending on their use.

It's analogous to fingerprint ID sensors. You are either one of those people where the fingerprint ID works very well for you. Or you are one of those people where it NEVER seems to work correctly for you, for some odd reason. Sometimes you come up with excuses, you have fat fingers, you have sweaty fingers, you have other excuses, but it simply NEVER works for you.

But it does work for many other users. So stop judging it for them.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I see usability issues:

1. When the person calls, instead of letting you to talk, the OS distracts you with a reminder popup. That could be quite annoying.
  2. What if that person never calls you?

Why not just call them first - if it's that important? And if it's not that important, why are you creating reminders?

I think there's a reason Apple left this out.

Uhh it's not a feature you need to use. If you're annoyed by being reminded of something then just don't set the reminder. :rolleyes:

IMO the only reason Apple left this out is because they haven't gotten to it yet or had not thought of it.

saboteur

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
It is never good when you feel the need to prove yourself against another competitor. When apple did the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC commercial they where smart enough to never use actual products, they where about the "cool" factor not features.

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
she's from HALO. She is cool as :D and they are great games, cortana rocks. If only apple had her :(

Apple will have WATSON and we'll see what RISC can do haha. I wish Apple would go back to the RISC processor because they SPANK anything Intel or AMD offers.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well that was embarrassing... more free advertisement for Apple.

I don't think I know any of my iPhone friends ever using Siri for anything more than asking silly questions hoping for a snarky reply.

I use Siri a lot when I'm in the car to make phonecalls (well, try to use it). One of the main problems with Siri is that it's all online. It shouldn't have to bounce off Apple's servers if you just want to make a phonecall -- stuff like that should be offline. It's insanely frustrating when you're trying to do a simple thing and you've got no 3G/wifi.

And yet in iOS 4 (maybe even earlier) you had basic voice commands to make calls, which ironically works better than Siri if you're on a drive with inconsistent 3G signal. It's a joke. :(

saboteur

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Actually, Siri is the one how looks smarter, Cortana is only reacting to actions, but Siri is being active, she understands the conversation and is interacting by is on initiative. I believe that's is called Artificial Intelligence (you dumb MS...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.