Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reports from within Apple's Asian supply chain (via GforGames) again suggest the company is planning to launch the 4.7-inch iPhone separately from the 5.5-inch model, with the latter model entering mass production in September. This staggered launch would allow Apple to debut the highly-anticipated 4.7-inch iPhone 6 early this fall and then follow with the iWatch and the larger iPhone model later this year.

The report claims a December launch for both the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and iWatch, which would be unusual timing for Apple given the holiday shopping season. The company generally prefers to launch its consumer-focused products before Black Friday kicks off holiday shopping in late November. But if supply constraints are an issue, it is possible Apple might choose to make a limited launch of the devices before the end of the year to get them onto shoppers' radars.

iphone_6_55_mockup_hand.jpg
Apple is rumored to be planning its first press event in September, which will be used to unveil the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 along with the official release date of iOS 8. Apple may hold a second event in October to announce the next generation iPads, OS X Yosemite and possibly the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and the iWatch. Though announced in October, the latest report claims larger iPhone and iWatch may not hit retail shelves until December of this year.

Besides a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to include a faster A8 processor, an updated Touch ID fingerprint scanner and an improved camera module with some form of image stabilization technology.

Article Link: Supply Chain Sources Claim December Launch for 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 and iWatch

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
We better buy our hand warmers and space heaters now, before the masses buy them all to wait in line! :cool:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
December seems like a terrible time for an iWatch launch. Something that makes a perfect holiday gift arrives after a lot of people have already finished their shopping? Not so good. Even November is pushing it.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I'd image if this is true it will a very limited December release, designed to grab the headlines from the competition.

Availability would be tight until well into Q1 2015.

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Aww ****!

The people saying bye apple and say they're screwing with us... Please remember this is a rumor website.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
If they aren't releasing both phones at the same time then the only sensible thing to do is to announce and open preorders for both at the same time and just make people who want the bigger one to wait longer. If the I watch won't ship until closer to Christmas then that is another item that they should do preorders for starting in November

aloyouis

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
December seems like a terrible time for an iWatch launch. Something that makes a perfect holiday gift arrives after a lot of people have already finished their shopping? Not so good. Even November is pushing it.

Why? Announce it and make it available for pre-order with a guaranteed pre-Christmas delivery date. Apple will sell millions and millions as Christmas gifts in addition to those that they would sell directly to the consumer/end user. Brilliant!

I won't even mention it around the house and I bet it is under the tree for me on Christmas Day. (Rumour has it that I have a few pounds to lose and the iWatch might help;)).

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I'm sure glad I don't get that excited by iPhone launches anymore. I've waited in lines for hours ever since the original launch and still have every previously released model. I'll just grab the next release online or a day or two after launch.
The torch is passed.......

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
All this '5.5" coming later' talk is simply hilarious. Not being able to let go of one's self delusion is called denial. Can YOU REALLY imagine Apple releasing TWO sizes of the same phone within a few months?

Snap out of the daydream - 5.5" is imaginary.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Considering the number of supply chain leaks Apple has had over the past few years, it wouldn't shock me if Apple deliberately obfuscated parts orders and assembly projections just to **** with them, as well as selectively leak certain facts to certain folks to determine where the leaks were coming from.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
How exactly is Apple toying with us? They haven't announced anything. These analysts and supply chain leakers don't know anything about Apple's plans. This is pure speculation and guess work. Save your judgement for when Apple actually makes an announcement.

However, rumors about Apple are always true...;)

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Not protecting Apple. You said Apple is toying with us because a rumor said they would release one phone later than another. I asked how Apple is toying with us, please, do tell.

You're angry cause I said Apple is toying with us? WOW

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
All this '5.5" coming later' talk is simply hilarious. Not being able to let go of one's self delusion is called denial. Can YOU REALLY imagine Apple releasing TWO sizes of the same phone within a few months?

Snap out of the daydream - 5.5" is imaginary.

If Apple has shown us anything this year it is to stop thinking Apple won't do something because they haven't done it before... The 5.5" iPhone may well happen. Samsung has proven there is a market for the size.

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sites like MacRumors need to put this stuff through a BS test before they publish it on their site. When has Apple ever launched a flagship product in December? That makes zero sense. Just because some Far East site claims something doesn't mean the rumors sites have to publish it.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
I'm willing to place a serious bet with anyone who'd like to take me up on it. My proposal is simple; I bet £4,720 that Apple will not release a 5.5" iPhone before summer/autumn next year, if at all.

I am 100% serious, so who's up for it?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
If they aren't releasing both phones at the same time then the only sensible thing to do is to announce and open preorders for both at the same time and just make people who want the bigger one to wait longer. If the I watch won't ship until closer to Christmas then that is another item that they should do preorders for starting in November

Agreed. If it's a staggered launch they have to at least announce both with details and pricing IMO.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Exactly. There's no way that Apple will make that kind of stagger annoucements. It doesn't
Make any business sense. Either they announce both at the same time or only one model a year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Closed for moderator review

Thread has been reopened. Stop with the arguing, insults and name calling.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Unless a delay couldn't be avoided, I can't believe iPhone6 5.5/iWatch would be released so late in the holiday season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.