Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Whose eating humble apple pie now? :eek:

Man plans, the celestial beings laugh. Looks like my 2010 iMac is heading to the finish line (video card glitches for the third time in 10 days), so if the 15" has the 16GB of RAM standard and price decrease, I'm jumping.

Fingers crossed, it's tomorrow so I can pick one up in the next few days. And I've also changed my tune on the $100 gift card which will help me this year.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
I received my rMBP on the 18th of this month. This was give to me for a machine that was bought a few days before (12th) which was DOA.
This was done at the Apple store will my return period on this latest machine be 14 days from the 18th?
I have two Apple stores within 30 mins of my house so even a slight update would be worth a visit.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I received my rMBP on the 18th of this month. This was give to me for a machine that was bought a few days before (12th) which was DOA.
This was done at the Apple store will my return period on this latest machine be 14 days from the 18th?
I have two Apple stores within 30 mins of my house so even a slight update would be worth a visit.

Technically no, but if you are looking to swap for a new machine, they may work with you on that.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Have you been to Apple recently? I just picked up the $3299 model that they advertise in-store on the iPads because it was in stock.

It's not in stock at any of the Boston area stores. And congrats, that is one sweet machine.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Looking like a company desperatly searching through the parts bin in the hope of coming up with something that might attract new business. :rolleyes:

StintheBeast

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Cambridge
It's more Intel's fault than Apple's. Had Intel been on time with their chips, we would've seen a new and noteworthy MBP update. I guess all the major stuff has been pushed back to March 2015.

I'm sure by then they'll roll everything out together with many new bells and whistles.

and rumors of some Broadwell chips not coming until september 2015. damn son.

----------

I'm glad my 2012 MBPr 15 is still 100% relevant this long after it's initial release.. For 95% of things, the 2012 with 650m is everybit the same as the current MBP and apparently future released MBP.. Money well spent! The performance differences in Haswell vs Ivy or 650m/750m aren't big enough.. Even battery life 7 vs 9 hours isn't enough either to justify upgrading but that could just be me. Just glad to hear I can keep my '12 another year being it's exactly the same hardware at least..

Don't fall for the system, you don't need to upgrade every 2 years. My 2009 iMac still works wonderful, and I'll make my 2012 macbook pro last another 3 years at least. Recently popped a ssd in her and it saved our relationship.

goncode

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I have a first generation mbpr(mid 2012), do you guys think this would be worthy upgrade?

Thanks!

iamang3lo

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I can't believe this. I just bought a Macbook Pro 15" Retina top line model 4 days ago. You think Best Buy will get these new models tomorrow and I can return the one I just bought for the newer one?

willmok

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
I have a first generation mbpr(mid 2012), do you guys think this would be worthy upgrade?

Thanks!

No, don't do it. Increase the RAM, replace the HDD with a SSD, then wait for the mid-2015 refresh.

----------

I can't believe this. I just bought a Macbook Pro 15" Retina top line model 4 days ago. You think Best Buy will get these new models tomorrow and I can return the one I just bought for the newer one?

I believe the new models will come in few days. You could wait few more days or just refund your rMBP now, then wait for the new one.

nevermind13

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
@willmok: The RAM is soldered on the mainboard and there are afaik no user upgradeable SSD in the MBP retina models.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA

If they did a retail exchange, base it off the 18th because that would be the new purchase date of that device. But if it was a warranty replacement (which I highly doubt because they generally just do a retail exchange if you just bought it) then it cannot be exchanged for the new model.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
If they did a retail exchange, base it off the 18th because that would be the new purchase date of that device. But if it was a warranty replacement (which I highly doubt because they generally just do a retail exchange if you just bought it) then it cannot be exchanged for the new model.

When they replaced my machine they refunded the machine to a gift card then put the new machine on as a purchase with the gift card. I did up and they confirmed what you've said. the date will be 14 days from the 18th.:D Hopefully the rumour is true as I'll be back in Germany from Monday onwards.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
My mate bought a MBP a couple of weeks ago, even after I told him to wait, grr..

What are the chances Apple would straight swap him out for a new model if he took it instore, and would it be worth it?

If he bought it from an Apple Store, chances are pretty high I would say :)

iStrikeRx

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
Don't even bother complaining about the lack of upgraded GPU. dGPUs have sucked since the 650m, at least when the EFI update was brought out. They're constantly throttled a few minutes after reaching full clock speeds due to lack of available power from the wall adapter.

I'd hazard a guess that a Maxwell + Broadwell combo next year should alleviate the issue somewhat, IF Apple even bother to include a dGPU this time round.

As for the minor update, here's hoping 8GB RAM becomes standard across the 13" machines! It's the perfect all round number really considering the rest of the specs. 16GB always looks a bit overkill on the 13", especially as the CPU will likely struggle when running enough apps/VMs to max out 16GB. Plus anyone doing that will likely plunge for the 15" anyway.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Don't even bother complaining about the lack of upgraded GPU. dGPUs have sucked since the 650m, at least when the EFI update was brought out. They're constantly throttled a few minutes after reaching full clock speeds due to lack of available power from the wall adapter.

I'd hazard a guess that a Maxwell + Broadwell combo next year should alleviate the issue somewhat, IF Apple even bother to include a dGPU this time round.

As for the minor update, here's hoping 8GB RAM becomes standard across the 13" machines! It's the perfect all round number really considering the rest of the specs. 16GB always looks a bit overkill on the 13", especially as the CPU will likely struggle when running enough apps/VMs to max out 16GB. Plus anyone doing that will likely plunge for the 15" anyway.

Lots of workflows involve high RAM-usage-to-CPU ratios. Lots of other workflows involve multiple applications, each with high CPU, but running one-at-a-time and swapped back and forth. More memory is more perfect.

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
If this news is true, it explains why the Apple Support Community was down for a brief period yesterday. They must have updated it to add support for the new models in their drop-downs and whathaveyou.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
At this rate, it's going to be 2016 before there's a laptop worth upgrading for. Crossing fingers my 2010 will last that long.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
Just bought a 13inch about a few weeks ago. Passed the return date though :( do you think they will let me swap this one out for the new one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.