Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in January, Apple removed popular Bitcoin app Blockchain from the App Store, after cracking down on several other apps that allowed users to send and receive bitcoin, including Coinbase and Gliph.

Apple's official policy prohibits content that "enables, facilitates, or encourages an activity" that not all countries deem legal, which has left Bitcoin-based apps in a bit of a gray area policy wise.

As of today, Blockchain has returned to the App Store, once again giving iOS users a way to send and receive bitcoin payments, reports bitcoin news site CoinDesk.

blockchain.jpg
According to CoinDesk, Apple announced a more open policy towards bitcoin apps during its Worldwide Developers Conference in June, which has led to the return of bitcoin apps to the App Store. From Blockchain CEO Nicolas Cary:
The moment Apple signalled a shift in their policy toward digital currency apps, we pulled the iOS project off the shelf and got to work. We wanted to use this as an opportunity to improve the wallet, but we were still apprehensive about dedicating huge amounts of engineering time because it wasn't clear what types of apps would get through the submission and approval process.
Blockchain for iOS has been redesigned and built from the ground up to improve both security and performance. Along with giving users a way to send and exchange bitcoin, the new Blockchain app can also be used to make purchases from merchants that accept bitcoin, both in physical stores and online.

According to Blockchain's CEO, iOS is an important platform for the company and in the future, the app will be updated to include Android features like the Merchant Map.

Blockchain can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Bitcoin Wallet App 'Blockchain' Returns to the App Store

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I keep getting "The item you tried to buy no longer available."

Anyone else getting this all morning?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Bit coin is a great idea that's been truly c##k blocked by the major banks and governments alike, nice to see apple supporting new tech and not squashing it anymore.

I wonder if the app is offering backups of currency though, with iCloud drive they really should so that your money is always safe and sound even if you loose your phone and didn't want to use a third party.

----------

I keep getting "The item you tried to buy no longer available."

Anyone else getting this all morning?

Works here...

aricG

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
Boulder
well that didn't last long....getting message saying that it is no longer available for purchase

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I love, live and work technology and gadgets. Anything in the category that compliments life by making it more fun, interesting or easy is brilliant.

Bitcoin on the other hand is (to me at least) of no interest whatsoever. All risk and little (no) reward.

Pass.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I love, live and work technology and gadgets. Anything in the category that compliments life by making it more fun, interesting or easy is brilliant.

Bitcoin on the other hand is (to me at least) of no interest whatsoever. All risk and little (no) reward.

Pass.
Cool. Thanks for the insight into WBRacing.

I think it's important for the App Store to allow apps like Blockchain, so I'm very happy Apple reversed course on the matter. I'm excited to see what the future holds for virtual currencies, and it's good to know Apple won't be one of the many roadblocks against which they have to contend.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011

I think it's important for the App Store to allow apps like Blockchain, so I'm very happy Apple reversed course on the matter. I'm excited to see what the future holds for virtual currencies, and it's good to know Apple won't be one of the many roadblocks against which they have to contend.

Here here. I want apple to filter viruses and prevent the theft of software with their app store and that is it. I want everything else to be open to innovation, not subject to regulatory whim.

aacealo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
I use BitCoins for a number of things. Right now there's limited user base, but the technology is compelling enough that it's hard to see it not catching on. The main thing standing in the way is the uncertain regulatory climate. This is good news for those of us who want to continue experimenting with a potentially disruptive technology. There are so many uses for "trust free" networks like the Block Chain has enabled. Currency, secure cloud storage, voting, software development, etc. it could all flop, but if it takes off, the early adopters will get rich beyond their wildest dreams, and society at large will benefit big time.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
People still use Bitcoin? I remember that being the cool thing in 2013, a cool concept in a math-nerdy way but not very helpful. And no, "nerd" is not an insult, at least to me.

Last edited:

aacealo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
BitCoin is the exact opposite of inflated. Its entire history has been nothing but deflationary with a few minor inflationary drops. Inflation of currency means the value drops relative to buying power. Now if the claim were that Bitcoin was in a pricing bubble, that would be slightly different. It could be. It might not be. Right now it's a new, low-volume investment. That means its price will fluctuate more than that of other investments. Stability comes with user base.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

Cool. It's good to know what you think is important and are excited about. ;)

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple's official policy prohibits content that "enables, facilitates, or encourages an activity" that not all countries deem legal, which has left Bitcoin-based apps in a bit of a gray area policy wise.

Um... Music is basically illegal in Saudi Arabia. I look forward to Apple removing Pandora from the store forthwith.

On the flip side, online poker for real money is legal in lots of places outside of the U.S. So why aren't they available in the store?

----------

And with that, the full and complete value of the MacRumors forums and comment system has been realized.

We can all now go home.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.