Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I realised my macbook was on the desk all the time and left the house only once…
I have an iPad and it's more than enough when I need something portable.
I made a list of all the reasons why I should change the laptop + external display combo for an iMac, maybe it will help you as well:

1. 250gb of storage vs 3TB of fusion drive - macbook's drive was constantly full and it became really annoying when I wanted to keep some files on the computer, like iTunes library, more photos, etc. I take a lot of pictures and they take a lot of space when in raw format, and then later even more as photoshop files.

2. 16GB vs 32GB of ram - although macbook pro is really fast, iMac is blazing
fast.

3. 1GB vs 2GB graphics - I play a lot in Batman Arkham games and had to turn down most of the graphic settings when on macbook - now have everything at MAX :)

4. Faster processor

5. For the past 8 months I was working on photos and design, 10, 12 hours a day and with the Thunderbolt Display I had to cover the window with a paper background so I wouldn't have any reflections on the screen, now I don't need to do anything, iMac's screen has almost no reflections.

I sold the display for £600 and macbook for £1000 and bought a second hand iMac on the very same day for £1550 :) I used gumtree to do that.

Hope that helps!

Yes thank you. Gumtree seems to be a European site so I may not be able to use that cause I'm in Canada. But I'm looking on the Apple refurbs page and Kijiji. The iMac refurb with your specs would be $2,339 Canadian plus tax. I don't do anything graphically intensive so the iMac may be a bit too much for me. I'm thinking even a rMBP 13" with external display would work for me. But the one thing I like about the 27" iMac is that you can change the Ram if you need it cause of the little door on the back. One thing I actually tend to notice now on the iMac is the pixels. Even at a normal viewing distance. I don't notice that on my "hi-res" 15" 2011 MBP. The iMac display doesn't seem so crisp now that the "retina" screens have been around for a while. Does the iMac screen seem pretty crisp to you or do you miss the retina screen of the MBP?

Last edited:

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
New Mac, new picture :)

Attachments

• SetupJuly2014.jpg
    SetupJuly2014.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 632
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 22.02.18.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 22.02.18.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

sk8andmetal

macrumors regular
New desk

Wife spent the day at IKEA ... came with a car full of new stuff for her desk and a surprise. a new desk + shelves for my desk.
I spent the evening to mount everything (2 desks, some shelves and 4 4*4boxes shelves ...)
So happy with my new desk !
HW is on my sig, almost nothing changed except the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0" on the right of the screen

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 498

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
So… I sold the retina Macbook Pro & Thunderbolt Display combo and bought a 27" iMac with a 3TB Fusion drive, 32GB of RAM and 2GB graphic card. It's a freaking beast! :D

Why get a 3TB Fusion Drive when you have 3 externals tucked in the back? Seems like it may have been better to go with a 256GB or 512GB SSD internally and use your externals for more space as needed.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
It's the controller for the treadmill. Here's a picture of the desk in an elevated position.

So both ATD's are hooked up the MBP in the henge dock and you only use one monitor at a time depending on if your using the seat or the threadmill?

halocrime

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
So both ATD's are hooked up the MBP in the henge dock and you only use one monitor at a time depending on if your using the seat or the threadmill?

Sometimes, yes. Other times the displays aren't mirrored and I move them closer together when I am working on projects that need the extra space.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
very nice set ups guys. VERY nice!

do you have kids in the houses because those look so orderly and smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.