Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
One negative I’ve noticed is that every time I’ve closed the laptop lid for extended periods of time (deep sleep), the SD card is disconnected and the “inappropriate removal” warning is displayed when the lid is opened and the machine is awakened. Removing and reinserting the card is needed to remount it. I don’t know whether this is a Mavericks issue, a USB-3 issue, or a SDXC issue.

I've had the 128gb installed for about 4 months now, non-stop and I have never had it spontaneously dismount.
That's in a 2012 13" rMBP with Mavericks.

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I've had the 128gb installed for about 4 months now, non-stop and I have never had it spontaneously dismount.

Funny, I DID have this problem with a card I got for Xmas. It wasn't every time, but about once a day. I eventually got an RMA and received my new one yesterday- just copied my music library back over today but haven't used the computer yet. mid-2012 MBA. will let you know if behavior continues or the new card made it stop. I have never gotten over 40mb/s read speeds though with either card- havent reformatted the new one either.

in the past 6 mo my mba has taken a steep turn downhill.

rfsorcerer

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Funny, I DID have this problem with a card I got for Xmas. It wasn't every time, but about once a day. I eventually got an RMA and received my new one yesterday- just copied my music library back over today but haven't used the computer yet. mid-2012 MBA. will let you know if behavior continues or the new card made it stop. I have never gotten over 40mb/s read speeds though with either card- havent reformatted the new one either.

in the past 6 mo my mba has taken a steep turn downhill.

Additional (limited) testing on StorEdge 64GB card disconnecting when awakened from deep sleep. I unchecked "Put Hard Disks To Sleep When Possible" - had no effect.

Then I inserted a 6-year old 32 MB SD card that came with my camera. Same results - still is connected when I open the laptop lid 5 minutes later; disconnected when I open the lid an hour later. So I suspect the PNY card is fine and the problem lies with my late 2013 13" rMBP. Gjwilly's positive experience seems to clear Mavericks of any responsibility (10.9.2?).

There are speculations online that the disconnect may have something to do with the PCI-E bus voltages dropping too low during deep sleep or timing issues upon reawakening, but I've seen nothing definitive. I may pursue this later if I can find some time.

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
You obviously know more about this than me- I guess I'll expect the behavior to continue. Between this and my MBA's apparently common issue with BT interferring with the wifi (have to keep it turned off or I don't reconnect after sleep) I'm getting pretty frustrated.

jfong425

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
Has anybody tried running this as a storage for itunes and iphoto. I know those two programs can become super big memory sucking monsters.

If you have:
- Was there any performance drop by using it?
- Any other problems you might have encountered?

thanks!!!

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
Has anybody tried running this as a storage for itunes and iphoto. I know those two programs can become super big memory sucking monsters.

If you have:

thanks!!!

I have my iTunes library running from the 128GB card. As others have mentioned, the card occasionally goes into a write-lock mode. I use iTunes Match, so this is a problem for me. When iTunes attempts to check my library while in the locked mode, I get an error. Also, I often get the (error code -50) at least once a day when dragging a file to the drive.

I've been thinking to move my iTunes library back to an external HDD and see if that is the main trigger of the write-lock. I WOULD NOT trust placing an Aperture library on the card, unless you are using a solid and consistent backup service like CrashPlan. I am not that confident in this card currently.

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011

If you have:

thanks!!!

I keep my itunes library on my pny storedge- performance for music is fine, i don't use itunes for videos, and the only problem is the frequent disconnects, usually after sleeping. I do back up my library to an external and crashplan online storage, though.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Had a 128GB StorEdge in my 2012 Air for several months and not had a problem with it. I use it for my downloads and "scratch" folder. No issues with any dismounting. I formatted it as HFS+ as soon as I got it.

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
I'm seeing the 128 gb at $129. Where is it $65?

When I look now, price went up to $99. Says stock on May 5th.

from my email receipt:

PNY StorEDGE 128GB Flash Memory Expansion Module (P-MEMEXP128U1-EF)
$64.99
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Thank you - waiting on B&H to open again- have the 128 GB model in the cart.

rfsorcerer

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Additional (limited) testing on StorEdge 64GB card disconnecting when awakened from deep sleep. I unchecked "Put Hard Disks To Sleep When Possible" - had no effect.

Then I inserted a 6-year old 32 MB SD card that came with my camera. Same results - still is connected when I open the laptop lid 5 minutes later; disconnected when I open the lid an hour later. So I suspect the PNY card is fine and the problem lies with my late 2013 13" rMBP. Gjwilly's positive experience seems to clear Mavericks of any responsibility (10.9.2?).

There are speculations online that the disconnect may have something to do with the PCI-E bus voltages dropping too low during deep sleep or timing issues upon reawakening, but I've seen nothing definitive. I may pursue this later if I can find some time.

Belated follow up on the 64GB StorEdge card dismounting when my 13" rMBP awakens: I noticed that several weeks had gone by without the card disconnecting itself. However, when I rebooted the laptop the problem returned. I rebooted it again and the problem went away.

I have now tried rebooting both with and without the card inserted in the slot, with and without AC power - cannot find a pattern. Nothing suspicious in the startup log files. Sometimes the restart works and sometimes it doesn't - when it works I can go indefinitely with the card mounted - at least until the next restart. I have now gone several weeks without a disconnect upon awakening.

I can live with this behavior and am happy with the 64GB card. I'm now waiting for a good price on the 128GB.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Received it and it works well. I'm using it to hold my iTunes library.

I couldn't get it to back up with Time Machine until I formatted it to Mac OS Journaled. And so far, no issues with waking from sleep.

For $64.95, seems like a great addition.

enigmapaul

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Slow speed

I purchased a Storedge 128GB for his with my late 2010 Macbook Air.

Unfortunately the read/write speed are quite slow (5-10MB/s). I was hoping to free up SSD space by moving by Parallels VM (28GB) to the Storedge but I think at those speeds it would be far to slow.

My only other significant options to to move my Document (20GB) or my Apple Mail Database (18GB) to the Storedge but I'm concerned about:
- Speed: the Documents will probably be ok they are mostly photos and Office documents. But would this be a disaster for the responsiveness of Apple Mail if I moved its database?

- Read/Write Cycles: i'm not sure how many cycles the Storedge would be rated for compared to the internal SSD. Will I find up wearing out the Storedge quickly if I used it for day to day access of files and email?

Thanks!

Paul

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Its tempting to pick up a 2nd one. Just worried I'll lose the SD card not in use...

Ricren

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
128 for rMBP13 late 2013

At the Transcend site, they only offer a 64GB version of the jet drive card for the rMBP 13" late 2013, but they offer the 128 version for the 15" model and the Air!. Why is that? I think that the slot can accept either version. Anybody?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.