Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Does anyone have any good editors? I think Pro Tools is the best, I use that, but i wanted something that I don't need my interface for. Any suggestions?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
airkarol said:
Does anyone have any good editors? I think Pro Tools is the best, I use that, but i wanted something that I don't need my interface for. Any suggestions?

A lot of peeps are going to suggest Peak 4..but I can't stand that one..but some folks swear by it.

I love Logic Express for Midi editing.

Soundtrack Pro is nice too..

Digital Performer by MOTU is probably the most similar to Pro Tools, and you don't need an interface for it to work..

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I think BIAS Peak is considered the standard Mac stereo audio editor, but I can't stand it. I honestly haven't used anything as good as Adobe Audition on the Mac, but Soundtrack Pro looks very promising.

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
airkarol said:
airkarol,
I use Peak LE4 at my home studio. It just depends on what your going for. I use Peak because it is close to the old "Cool Edit" that I used at a radio station and you use what you know. Make sense? Before you make a choice check out Bias-Inc, makers of Peak and Deck and some other cool products. Hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...if you want a great audio editing program check out DSP Quattro - it is a lot cheaper than Peak and perhaps even more intuitive to use (I own Peak 5 and DSP-Q - I use DSP-Q more...)...oh yeah!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Duff-Man thanks for your post regarding DSP Quatro.

I looked through the siteand could not find references to which
interfaces and or controllers are support.

There was also no reference to the number of recordable live analog and midi tracks supported.

Or is this strictly a post production editor?

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
sound editors

DSP-Quattro is a two channel (L+R) editor and vsti host. There really wouldn't be much for the interface to do other than control plug ins and instruments.
I'm with Duff Man on this one though, it's soo easy to use, really well supported, a killer price and all the updates so-far have been free.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Also audacity lets you use VST plugins. You can download hundreds of free VST plugins - reverbs, distortions, phasers and other delights.

kvr-vst is a good resource for all things VST.

But yeah Adobe need to pull their finger out their *** and make Audition for Mac. Nothing is better in my opinion.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Apple said:
I like Audacity, although its pretty simplistic, it gets the job done and is great freeware.

Did a search and found this thread, I was about to give up on finding a nice, freeware MP3 importer/editor. Thanks. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.