Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi,

I've been trying to fix this issue since the yesterday. I got the metro last light game on steam and downloaded on my my mac whatever. When I try to set a new video settings of the game, unfortunately game only allows me to re-arrange the quality neither resolution nor graphic option like low,medium or high. Does anyone have one of those issue or had it ? Thank you

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hi,

I've been trying to fix this issue since the yesterday. I got the metro last light game on steam and downloaded on my my mac whatever. When I try to set a new video settings of the game, unfortunately game only allows me to re-arrange the quality neither resolution nor graphic option like low,medium or high. Does anyone have one of those issue or had it ? Thank you

My understanding of the Mac version of M:LL is that you are experiencing the options that were included in the game.

In other words, the Windows version gives players options to change more settings than the OSX version.

Maybe the Mac dev team can comment?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hi,

What Irishman said. The Mac (and Linux) version only has this non-descriptive "Quality" slider. That's intended - for what reason ever.

If I were to guess, I would say that is to hide that the devs removed and/or disabled a lot of the graphic fluff that the Windows version had.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Anyone played in both OSes? Is the difference noticable? Wondering if I should just use windows when I get to it.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Anyone played in both OSes? Is the difference noticable? Wondering if I should just use windows when I get to it.
I haven't played under Windows, but mulled over enough screenshots and gameplay videos to know that the Mac version is missing several volumetric lighting effects, some volumetric fog effects have been reduced, shadows are coarser, there does not seem to be HDR lighting and apparently many detail textures are missing (details that look crisp under Windows are clearly pixellated under OS X). There's probably more, but some effects aren't really obvious, even under Windows.

However, the OS X version still looks really good – at least mostly. If you don't know there's something missing, you often wouldn't notice it.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hi guys,
I just got this game and its sad there is only one slider to adjust the video quality, i would like to change the resolution so i can max the quality, anyway to do this through the config file or something? would be awesome if possible.

Thanks..

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Hi guys,
I just got this game and its sad there is only one slider to adjust the video quality, i would like to change the resolution so i can max the quality, anyway to do this through the config file or something? would be awesome if possible.

Thanks..

Wow. You cannot set the screen resolution for this game?

By the way, did you get this on Steam? I was wondering if they sorted the issues with the Steam version such that it works properly now.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Wow. You cannot set the screen resolution for this game?

By the way, did you get this on Steam? I was wondering if they sorted the issues with the Steam version such that it works properly now.

no you can't for the linux & mac versions :confused: Yes it has been patched & works fine now on steam..

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I haven't played under Windows, but mulled over enough screenshots and gameplay videos to know that the Mac version is missing several volumetric lighting effects, some volumetric fog effects have been reduced, shadows are coarser..

Yup. This is under the heading of nVidia hardware Physx effects. Borderlands 2 uses it in Windows, as does Batman Arkham City in Windows.

But sadly, not Mac.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
no you can't for the linux & mac versions :confused: Yes it has been patched & works fine now on steam..

Would you happen to know what the resolution is or does the app query the hardware and set it by itself so it varies by system? I was just curious if you knew or might have read about that somewhere. I'm wondering what resolution it is going to run on a 27 inch screen.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Would you happen to know what the resolution is or does the app query the hardware and set it by itself so it varies by system? I was just curious if you knew or might have read about that somewhere. I'm wondering what resolution it is going to run on a 27 inch screen.

It will run the same resolution you boot the game with, so for a 27" iMac it will be 1440 rez.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
ur welcome thats what these forums are for, you bought the game?
except this issue the game is fantastic :D

Yeah, I actually bought it some time back when there was a good sale on it. Then I heard it was not working but I hadn't tried to play it yet anyway. Now I am glad to hear it is working again for when I do get to it.

Currently I am busy saving the galaxy in Jedi Outcast. After that I'm not sure what's next but it might be Knights of the Old Republic. I have such a backlog!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.