Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of today, the classic Pebble Smart Watch is available in three limited edition colors, including Fly Blue, Hot Pink, and Fresh Green. The bright neon colors are a deviation from Pebble's line of classic smart watches, previously available in Jet Black, Gray, Arctic White, Orange, and Cherry Red.

Pebble's new color variations extend to both the face and the band, which remains interchangeable, but the new watches are only available in limited quantities. Watchfaces to accompany the new colors can be downloaded from the Pebble app store, as can a new Weather app from The Weather Channel.

Fresh Green, Hot Pink, and Fly Blue are standout shades that give any look the right dose of fun. Fresh, Hot, and Fly come with matching bands and--just like the rest of the Pebble lineup--are fully customizable with the skins and bands of your choice. We're having lots of fun mixing and matching bands around between the different colors ourselves.

Hand-in-hand with the debut of Fresh, Hot, and Fly are new watchfaces to enjoy on the Pebble appstore. We've got text faces in Fresh, Hot, and Fly and an amazing new app by The Weather Channel (appstore links available later today).
First introduced in 2012, Pebble's classic smart watch connects to the iPhone via Bluetooth LE, delivering alerts and notifications. The watch is water resistant with a 5 to 7 day battery life and includes changeable watch faces and a readable daylight display. Pebble also sells its second-generation Pebble Steel smart watch, which includes a stainless steel body, a slimmer profile, and a face covered with scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass.

The Fly Blue, Hot Pink, and Fresh Green Pebble smart watches can be purchased from the Pebble website for $150.

Article Link: Pebble Launches Limited Edition Classic Smart Watches in Blue, Pink, and Green

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think there's a typo at the top of the screen. Should say: "PebbleSmartWatchRumors: news and rumors you don't care about."

There, I fixed it. :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The Pebble is ok. The range of apps is limited and soon the screen will be outdated and of course it doesn't support touch.

But I would go for the metal versions with a metal band before any pastel color. However, I'm guessing this is marketed at the 15-25 year old demographic.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I go back and forth between my Pebble and my high end watches. Different purposes really. When I'm running around with the kids or working an event, I use the pebble. That way I'm not constantly having to grab my phone. It looks tacky IMO. I get all my notifications and only have to grab my phone if something is important.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
If they weren't so ridiculously large I would get one to try out. Having a small wrist I'm not sure I'll ever get to partake in the smartwatch game, they all have giant faces.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If they weren't so ridiculously large I would get one to try out. Having a small wrist I'm not sure I'll ever get to partake in the smartwatch game, they all have giant faces.

The Pebble's aren't 'ridiculously' large. A little taller than an average sports watch, but not by much.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I'd buy one if they didn't look so weird, given that half the point of a watch is style. At least the Casio calculator watches look cool in a way.

img57296916.jpg

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Fresh, hot, and fly. Hey Pebble, the 80s called, and they want their words back.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Did you stop reading after the first sentence?

No - I read it in its entirety.

Like I said, the Pebble's aren't ridiculously large.

Your tiny wrist won't be able to accommodate an average sized sports watch either.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Those colours are quite neat. I'm still happy with my Red Pebble though, Stephen Fry has one and that's good enough for me :).

My worry about other smartwatches, both current and potential Apple ones, is the battery on my Pebble lasts a week. With an always-on, full colour LED display that's going to be a lot less. With that in mind I'll probably stick with Pebble for a very long time. I don't want to charge a watch up every day.

----------

watches are over rated.. i have a cell phone to tell time.

thats nothing.. iHave carrier pigeons to tell time.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
does the watch auto-rotate so that its always upright? if not the guy is wearing his upside down at 0:37

MattJones

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Rochester, NY
The Pebble is ok. The range of apps is limited and soon the screen will be outdated and of course it doesn't support touch.

But I would go for the metal versions with a metal band before any pastel color. However, I'm guessing this is marketed at the 15-25 year old demographic.

Yes, while it's true that Pebble doesn't have a touch screen, I don't think this is a bad thing by any means.

Having used Android Wear as well as Pebble very extensively, I can say that it almost feels like a touch screen is not meant to be on a watch. The screen is already so small as it is and touching it takes up 80%+ of the screen real estate.

With Pebble it is simply buttons so the screen is always 100% visible. Also, it allows for actions to be carried out without even looking directly at the watch.

Example: I want to pause the music playing from my car while driving. On Android Wear I need to be looking at the watch the whole time while I navigate through 5 different menus. On Pebble, I know exactly the 3 quick button presses I need to do all while not even taking my eyes off the road.

This ability is huge for me, and something that shouldn't be overlooked when discussing Pebble's lack of a touch screen.

Just my two cents though.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Those colours are quite neat. I'm still happy with my Red Pebble though, Stephen Fry has one and that's good enough for me :).

My worry about other smartwatches, both current and potential Apple ones, is the battery on my Pebble lasts a week. With an always-on, full colour LED display that's going to be a lot less. With that in mind I'll probably stick with Pebble for a very long time. I don't want to charge a watch up every day.

iOS 8 has black and white mode. Possibly for over coming any iWatch battery problem?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I received an email from them, having already purchased one and divulging my contact information.

I guess I might as well buy a new one to wear over my current Pebble. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.