Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Samsung have issued a joint statement today announcing an agreement to drop all patent lawsuits against each other outside of the United States, according to Bloomberg.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
"Apple and Samsung have agreed to drop all litigation between the two companies outside the United States," the companies said in the statement. "This agreement does not involve any licensing arrangements, and the companies are continuing to pursue the existing cases in U.S. courts."
The move is yet another signal that the long-running patent dispute between Apple and Samsung may be winding down, as it was reported in June that the two companies were trying to find "common ground". The two also agreed to drop their cross-appeal rulings on the ITC ban of older Samsung phones around the same time.

In May, it was reported the two were looking to negotiate an out-of-court settlement. And earlier this year, it was reported that Tim Cook sat down with Samsung Electronics CEO Oh-Hyun Kwon in a mediation session. However, the two sides did not come to an agreement at that time.

Apple has already settled patent disputes with other companies, like Google / Motorola Mobility in May of this year and HTC back in 2012.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Agree to End Non-U.S. Patent Disputes

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
So will Samsung be pulling the Alpha which looks really inspired by the iPhone 5?

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Ga...+Apple+iPhone+5S+in+Pictures/article36346.htm

Negotiations probably went like this.

Apple: lets stop the suits
Samsung: Okay
Apple: So can you stop copying us from today onward at least?
Samsung: No, we just finished getting the iPhone 5 copy ready though. How about next year?

More like

Apple: let's stop the suits
Samsung : I agree
Apple : great!
Samsung : now can you stop copying us?
Apple: I guess

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Samsung should hire Vanilla Ice to represent them and explain the vast differences. He did such an excellent job explaining how Ice Ice Baby wasn't a sample of Under Pressure by Queen and therefore owed them no royalties.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
In other news, MacRumours page views tumble 50% but vitriolic fanboy rants are down just 5%

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What does this mean exactly if it doesn't include the United States?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Samsung: No, we just finished getting the iPhone 5 copy ready though. How about next year?

More like

Even MORE like:

Apple: Wouldn't it be weird if MacRumors users attempted to personify us?
Samsung: Yep.

Gigatel

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Read the Vanity Fair article awhile back about Samsung. Samsung stalls till the issue goes away and then does it again.

Samsung will continue to get crushed in developing markets like China and India. Once apple releases larger screen iPhones, Samsung is done for in the US. And if apple continues to pursue litigation, which they should, it'll be a nail in the coffin. Samsung mobility is a dead man walking.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
So will Samsung be pulling the Alpha which looks really inspired by the iPhone 5?

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Ga...+Apple+iPhone+5S+in+Pictures/article36346.htm

Negotiations probably went like this.

Are you serious? A chamfered edge? I despise this company.

----------

More like

:rolleyes:

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
After all this non-senses.
I came to feel Samsung is just doing what other companies are doing.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Apple is going to take chip fab away from sammy and that will hurt more than lawsuits. Add in pressure from China and they are getting squeezed from multiply sides. Hope they go under.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Samsung will continue to get crushed in developing markets like China and India. Once apple releases larger screen iPhones, Samsung is done for in the US. And if apple continues to pursue litigation, which they should, it'll be a nail in the coffin. Samsung mobility is a dead man walking.

You sound like the forum member, dumastudetto. :p

Apple is going to take chip fab away from sammy and that will hurt more than lawsuits. Add in pressure from China and they are getting squeezed from multiply sides. Hope they go under.

As a consumer, why do you care if Samsung goes under? It's not going to do you any good. You probably don't work for Apple or have stock in them. So why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.