Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
job creation

How very nice for Europe. What about your home country FIRST and screw the rest of the world.:mad:

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Nice to see this from Apple. Apple's first office opened outside of the United States was opened in Cork, Ireland in 1980 and has been based there ever since - http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/04/20/apple-in-cork-timeline/

Many US politicians like to offset blame onto Ireland due to failed US economic policy, US companies in Ireland employ real people in the thousands to serve the EMEA markets.

They chose Ireland due to taxes, if I am not mistaken their global revenue goes through Ireland or something, please correct me if I'm wrong. But in the end Ireland is the reason how they make a proper tax cut and save lots of money from taxable revenue.

But they have no problem to sell you iPhone 5S in Ireland for 700 Euros while exact same thing in US is costs only 480 Euros. Who is a donkey now? They used your country to save money but at the same time they shoved a middle finger up your arses. Awesome! Global corporatism at its finest.

And "Jobs" like in any case means employment. Apple does not employ claimed half a million people in EU. End of story.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Misleading...

So every registered developer is considered a job created or supported by Apple? That's misleading. Some may just do it for fun, and majority of them have other day jobs.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
You know what kind of people are the worst? The ones who ask for spare change, and when you give them the change in your pocket, they complain that there's not more of it.

I had a guy pick the pennies out of what I gave him and throw them on the ground once. I picked them up because they were worth more to me than they were to him, apparently.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Nice (even if the numbers are a bit high), but hopefully it won't stop the EU commission to inspect the tax laws in europe; so big players like amazon, google and apple pay taxes in each country they do business.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So every registered developer is considered a job created or supported by Apple? That's misleading. Some may just do it for fun, and majority of them have other day jobs.

I wonder if they subtracted the developers who make less than the $99/year membership fee. That would remove a lot of developers.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

People are going to flame you for this.

I wonder how many jobs Google, Microsoft and Amazon have created using this method. There are more apps on the Play Store so did Google create more jobs?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
500,000 developer jobs in Europe alone...? That's a stretch by any measure.

The problem with these modern tech companies is that they concentrate wealth so efficiently, and hire so few people. Claiming your company supports 500,000 developer jobs in Europe alone...? I doubt there even are that many people in Europe who know Objective-C...most of those "developers" probably just registered to get access to the betas.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
49 cent app developers are considered as job development - over-the-top there, Apple.

Whatever it takes to pull-the-wool to get the billions "home", I guess.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Nice to see this from Apple. Apple's first office opened outside of the United States was opened in Cork, Ireland in 1980 and has been based there ever since - http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/04/20/apple-in-cork-timeline/

Many US politicians like to offset blame onto Ireland due to failed US economic policy, US companies in Ireland employ real people in the thousands to serve the EMEA markets.

They are in Ireland because of lowest corporate taxes in the EU... and hopefully this will soon come to an end.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Don't care how many jobs they claim to have created, they're still tax dodging scumbags and it's about time the authorities across Europe put a stop to it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is a REALLY funny story to post on this site. Because many a time I've had some idiot tell me in the comments that Apple doesn't make much money from the App Store :rolleyes:

Yeah, impressive how something that makes peanuts can sustain growth and employment of 500,000 people in Europe alone....

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
But they have no problem to sell you iPhone 5S in Ireland for 700 Euros while exact same thing in US is costs only 480 Euros.

The exchange rate varies, but currently $650 USD is 487 Euros, according to Google.

In the US, an additional 7-9% will be added to the price for sales tax, depending on your jurisdiction.

How much of the 700 Euro price in Europe is VAT, and already embedded in the price? I've found a claim that it is 23%. So, to do a direct comparison:

US: 487 + 8% ( 39) = 526.
EU: 700 - 23% (161) = 539.

(Sorry, don't remember the keyboard mapping for the Euro symbol on my US keyboard)

As you can see, the iPhone is still slightly more expensive in Ireland. But, if you account for the different ways that taxes are assessed and the difference in tax rates, the magnitude is much smaller, and almost negligible.

Last edited:

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
And what is your solution, genius? And they claim 30%. Seems fair.

solution? to what problem?

my post had nothing to do with 70-30 ratio but apple trying to claim the ios ecosystem as 100% their doing which is typical for big business but nonsense

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
So every registered developer is considered a job created or supported by Apple?

No. That's why AAPL said 629k Jobs created or supported.

That's misleading. Some may just do it for fun, and majority of them have other day jobs.

It's only misleading to those who didn't read their announcement closely. :rolleyes:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The LOBBYING has begun to get those billion's of dollars stateside at a preferential tax rate. There's nothing about this that's about the greater good, NOPE, it's just Apple taking care of the shareholders - nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sure the PR press by Apple, showing what great corporate citizens they are, will continue, unabated, UNTIL, they get that money into the US.

Pinch your noses folks, this is going to get smelly.

And good for them, I say. They're protecting their own interests, while, I might add obeying the law.

There has been enough negative press garnered upon them for engaging in a practice that most US corporations, at least those with half a brain in their legal, regulatory and financial departments also engage in.

What the press really needs to focus on is why corporations such as Apple, which typically act responsibly find it necessary to engage in these financial gymnastics.

The answer is pretty simple: Greedy, power hungry, corrupt, short-sighted and incompetent politicians and bureaucrats who can't see the forest for the trees, and believe that it's better to mandate and enforce than to compete and entice. What they fail to understand, however is that the more you try to squeeze your citizens, be they actual people or corporations, the more they will work to find ways to wrestle from your grip. And the more autocratic and oppressive you become, the more you risk undermining the very foundation of the system upon which you rely to be oppressive.

Last edited:

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Does anyone wonder why apple chooses to release these 'pat on the back' press releases to the public when most other companies don't. Isn't it a bit self-serving and not very humble?

It's facts my friend. Stock holders and investors like to know where the money is going and coming from! Understand business

lukejr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
They chose Ireland due to taxes, if I am not mistaken their global revenue goes through Ireland or something, please correct me if I'm wrong. But in the end Ireland is the reason how they make a proper tax cut and save lots of money from taxable revenue.

But they have no problem to sell you iPhone 5S in Ireland for 700 Euros while exact same thing in US is costs only 480 Euros. Who is a donkey now? They used your country to save money but at the same time they shoved a middle finger up your arses. Awesome! Global corporatism at its finest.

Sales Tax, it's 23% in Ireland. EU law requires all prices to include sales tax in the displayed price, in the US they add it at POS. So your figures are misleading, it's still more expensive, but that's the same across all of Europe.

Corp tax is a big part of it, but not the only reason, Ireland has the most educated population in Europe with over 50% of thirty somethings having a minimum of a 4 year bachelor degree, we also have an extremely robust/modern immigration policy so it is easier to find and higher staff from anywhere else in the world in Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/life/fami...ave-degrees-than-anywhere-in-eu-29204701.html

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
No, it does not:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/13/us-apple-italy-tax-idUSBRE9AC0RW20131113

Apple, like Google and others, pays a fraction of what they should. Thieves.

And no, I do not do that.

That's an allegation by the Italians, back in November, 2013. Has there been an update? Has Apple been prosecuted for tax fraud?

What you think Apple (or any other company) should pay in taxes is immaterial. They aren't obligated to pay a penny more than the law requires.

However, you can overpay your taxes as much as you like. In the US, you can even write an extra check to the Bureau of the Public Debt.

Of course, you are welcome to write your representative and ask them to change the law. But unless they do so, you are just whining like a child.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Or how many jobs at other companies have been lost due to Apple?

It's probably all bull poo.
Think about it.

I come along with Amazing product, other firms shut down, massively reduce numbers, all those people who were buying items, don't buy much now as they don't have a job.
The companies abroad that made the goods for these companies lay of multiple thousands of staff.

However, I need staff for my amazing product, and I need people to build my amazing product, so I hire designers, and builders overseas, and all my staff now have money so can spend stuff.

You could have not ONE job created. Just churned around and screwed with people's past lives.

Yet I can boldly make the statement that I have created XXX jobs.

No I have not, I've just caused stir ups in the job market that's rippled far and wide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.