Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
@ Scepticalscribe -- Heh, I just went into iTunes Store and previewed everything from Simple Minds' "Once Upon a Time". What a hoot, I'm going to buy some of those tracks. Thanks!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@ Scepticalscribe -- Heh, I just went into iTunes Store and previewed everything from Simple Minds' "Once Upon a Time". What a hoot, I'm going to buy some of those tracks. Thanks!

My pleasure. I hope you enjoy them - I loved some of their stuff in the 1980s. You may remember the 1984 movie 'The Breakfast Club', well, 'Simple Minds' had a a wonderful song on tat soundtrack called "Don't You Forget About Me."

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Very good choice.

Actually, I am rather fond of some of the good stuff from the 1980s…….especially some of the good British stuff, such as, Simple Minds, Ultravox

It’ interesting to listen to the change in Simple Minds from the really early techno-synth into like Sparkle in the Rain which really created the sound they became so famous for when “Don’t you...” dropped.

I am a +huge+ Ultravox fan - both the 2nd generation work with Midge Ure and the big, dramatic syth driven stuff, as well as the earlier 1st gen John Foxx material that was kind of guitar+synth punk-wave. Some of John Foxx’s solo work is interesting, The Garden is fantastic (which I believe I still own on vinyl come to think of it :) )

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It’ interesting to listen to the change in Simple Minds from the really early techno-synth into like Sparkle in the Rain which really created the sound they became so famous for when “Don’t you...” dropped.

I am a +huge+ Ultravox fan - both the 2nd generation work with Midge Ure and the big, dramatic syth driven stuff, as well as the earlier 1st gen John Foxx material that was kind of guitar+synth punk-wave. Some of John Foxx’s solo work is interesting, The Garden is fantastic (which I believe I still own on vinyl come to think of it :) )

Actually, I had not heard of Ultravox before they released the song 'Vienna'; which I thought exceptionally good; I loved it then, and still love it the best part of three decades later.

Not only that, but the accompanying video to 'Vienna' - one of the first of the really cinematographically and beautifully filmed stunning music videos - absolutely blew me away.

However, both the song 'Vienna' and the classic and seminal accompanying video made me a devoted admirer of Ultravox in those years.

Now, while I did indeed have this on vinyl (I found myself looking at upmarket turntables when home not too long ago), these days, it is also on my iPod….

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
A group called 'The Divine Comedy' (yes, named after Dante's book), with their album 'Casanova', (yes, that Casanova) and the track "Songs Of Love". This song was the theme music to the superb satirical (and occasionally scurrilous) British (and Irish) TV comedy series "Father Ted".

And tonight, I have been listening to "Something For The Week-End", "Becoming More Like Alfie", and "The Frog Princess" from the same album.

Have you come across their song National Express?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fw73dBJGss

Bear in mind National Express is our Greyhound.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Currently listening to the Talking Heads album Fear of Music.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 184

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some songs from Steeleye Span, with a few (almost unjustly forgotten) classics: "Lovely On The Water", "Long Lankin", (two personal favourites), "Thomas The Rhymer", "The False Knight On The Road", and "Gaudete". Great stuff…..

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
An oldie, but a good one: 'Booker T. and the MGs' with "Green Onions".

The first time I remember hearing this song was in the movie American Graffitti. :) There are some outstanding songs from the 50's, early 60's.

I Only have Eyes For You
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
That'll Be The Day
Runaway
The Stroll
All Summer Long
Green Onions
... and many more. :)

If you have no fear of dating yourself (directed at everyone), what is the earliest song(s) you can remember when first listening to radio? In 1964 at age 11, I had a little transistor radio that might have looked something like this:

radio04.jpg

I can remember listening to two songs in the top 40: Under The Boardwalk (Drifters), and Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash). Ring of Fire really made an impression on me. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The first time I remember hearing this song was in the movie American Graffitti. :) There are some outstanding songs from the 50's, early 60's.

I Only have Eyes For You
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
That'll Be The Day
Runaway
The Stroll
All Summer Long
Green Onions
... and many more. :)

If you have no fear of dating yourself (directed at everyone), what is the earliest song(s) you can remember when first listening to radio? In 1964 at age 11, I had a little transistor radio that might have looked something like this:

I can remember listening to two songs in the top 40: Under The Boardwalk (Drifters), and Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash). Ring of Fire really made an impression on me. ;)

That is a great list, and an excellent post!

I love (and play quite often) a surprising number of the songs you have listed. (Green Onions, Runaway, and I Only Have Eyes For You being three particular favourites from that list).

For now, I am continuing on my trip down the memory lane where British folk and traditional music from the 1970s are to be found.

Thus, I am now listening to a few from Jethro Tull - songs such as "Living In The Past", "Bouree", "We Used To Know" and the lovely "Reasons For Waiting".

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That is a great list, and an excellent post!

I love (and play quite often) a surprising number of the songs you have listed. (Green Onions, Runaway, and I Only Have Eyes For You being three particular favourites from that list).

For now, I am continuing on my trip down the memory lane where British folk and traditional music from the 1970s are to be found.

Thus, I am now listening to a few from Jethro Tull - songs such as "Living In The Past", "Bouree", "We Used To Know" and the lovely "Reasons For Waiting".

Jethro Tull: Aqualung and Bungle in the Jungle. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Jethro Tull: Aqualung and Bungle in the Jungle. :)

Oh, yes. More good music there. I love Jethro Tull - nice, moody music.

In any case, I have just ordered more retro Sixties stuff - Alan Hawkshaw and Neil Richardson, you know those almost cheesy, smooth instrumentals beloved of lounge lizards?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Recent purchases:

Clark - Iradelphic
The New Division - Shadows
Goose - Synrise
Midnight Juggernauts - Uncanny Valley
Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
New Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Runaway Girls. Better than the entirety of the second album.

And an older Electric Wizard track - A chosen few. Wish Justin would still sing this way, the overtly nasal sound of the last decade is not my thing.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

These guys could have conquered country music and changed everything. Easily the best country music act in a decade and a half.

Sadly, they could not get along. Saw them live once, and honestly they were just these two humble musicians shocked that a huge crowd came up to see them at Austin City Limits. Truly special.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Rose's Descent into the Cellar from Keith Emerson's OST to Dario Argento's Inferno. Three songs from this otherwise unlikable score are getting repeats from me lately. I can so clearly see the visuals behind them, always a great thing. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.