Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
I'm surprised that he hasn't been sued by Samsung because of his name! :D

No, they copied it from him in the first place.

----------

Wow. Makes you wonder how much more Samsung and Apple could've given to charities instead of lawyers. Both companies practice philanthropy but in this case, more couldn't hurt.

EDIT: And to Mr. Sam Sung, nice idea. I wish him all the best.

In Samsung's case it's more a case of "Ethical Cleansing"

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Just saw on CNN that Samsung is suing Sam Sung for name infringement. Mr. Sung's parents are also named in the suit as co-defendants. Apple has offered legal assistance to Sam Sung to protect him from Samsung's law suit calling it frivolous.
###

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Is his name was anything but Sam Sung would this get as much attention?
No. But if you have a name might as well exploit it. For charity is an amazing way to do so.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
Good for him! It's all for fun and a good cause.

Besides, when you're stuck with an usual name, you gotta have a sense of humor and make do. Seeing that I already own http://phuoc.me, I think it's time I follow in iTunes' footsteps and create my own university... let's call it Phuoc-U. Too bad Yugoslavia no longer exists or I could have also been the proud owner of http://phuoc.yu.

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
Probably... but since it's for charity Apple would like horrible people if they stopped this... might as well let it slide and the news will pass.

If nothing else, if they really cared that much about this, I'm sure they could outright win this auction for $2k. It would be cheaper than the time, effort, & negative publicity that would go into doing a C&D.

countingtozero

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
If only he did this just before leaving Apple, he could have used the gift-matching program and made Apple match his donation!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I could certainly be wrong, but aren't those items technically owned by Apple?

I guess not, considering business cards are customarily handed out anyhow.

Probably... but since it's for charity Apple would look like horrible people if they stopped this... might as well let it slide and the news will pass.

They may have a policy regarding the return of shirts and business cards upon leaving Apple. Some businesses will deduct it from your final paycheck if you do not return company property. I think they can do that as long as conditions are specified prior to the items being issued. Anyway at this point it's just cheap PR.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You are suppose to return all apple shirts/fleece and lanyards when you leave apple. But none of us do.
Usually things like shirts, hoodies, jackets, etc. are simply employee gifts that aren't really items that you return. Something like a badge itself might be different, but everything else is often something that just becomes employee property when given to them. Unless there's some specific language somewhere for a particular company that specifies otherwise of course.

dicksonnathan

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Samsung Employee Named Apple

Now only if former Samsung employee App Le would do the same...

Well.. Apple would be much better..

pWiJ1oF.png

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=112065035&authType=OUT_OF_NETWORK&authToken=g1yi&locale=en_US&srchid=236470421407374614925&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A236470421407374614925%2CVSRPtargetId%3A112065035%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
If he was auctioning it for charity, why isn't his auction a charity auction?
No fees / incentives when an actual charity auction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.