Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
My iTunes is currently giving me a message "Determining Song Volume, Analyzing XX of YY". What does this mean and how often can I expect it to do so. Unfortunately, I'm working off an external drive on a USB 1.1 port because its all I've got. At this rate, it'll take all night to finish analyzing and I want to use the damn program (which I can't while its doing this).

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
In iTunes preferences -> Playback, uncheck the Sound Check, and iTunes should stop analyzing... ;)

Thanks! I thought that was a cool feature, but definitely not worth the computer usage that it takes (at least not until I get a new computer).

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
It tends to get some of the songs wrong, too, which is a pain. You'll find yourself listening to some really quiet and some really loud songs, when before it was all the same level! :eek: You can adjust the levels manually under each song's info panel, if you feel the need.

JuiceBoyJSY

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
Mine too...

My iTunes is currently 'Determining Song Volume' yet I do not use Sound Check... my iTunes is also not letting me drag any songs into playlists whilst doing this... help!

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I have noticed this too, even though Sound Check has been off. It's probably because Sound Enhancer is on in iTunes preferences.

iTunesisacpuhog

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Even with Sound Enhancer off it will do this unless you do:

1) click on any playlist.
2) click on "burn disc" (bottom right) - a pop-up window with burn settings will appear.
3) untick the "sound check" box.
4) click "burn" (just leave the disc drive empty, you dont actually need to burn a cd).
5) up the top, itunes will ask you to "please insert a blank disc" - just click the x and close this message.
6) click "burn disc" again to view the pop-up window - you will notice that the sound check box is now unticked. (click burn or cancel to close it)
7) close itunes, give it a minute, then open it again and you'll notice the problem is fixed!

source: ilounge.

The only thing that finally solved this nagging problem.

NotTellinYou

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010

2) click on "burn disc" (bottom right) - a pop-up window with burn settings will appear.
4) click "burn" (just leave the disc drive empty, you dont actually need to burn a cd).
5) up the top, itunes will ask you to "please insert a blank disc" - just click the x and close this message.
6) click "burn disc" again to view the pop-up window - you will notice that the sound check box is now unticked. (click burn or cancel to close it)
7) close itunes, give it a minute, then open it again and you'll notice the problem is fixed!

Just registered to tell you that you saved my day and my 32,000 song library from hell!

Thanks!

trc2010

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Just registered to tell you that you saved my day and my 32,000 song library from hell!

Thanks!

Ditto! I also just registered to confirm that this is the way to stop the audio volume feature, if unticking the sound check box on Preferences does not work. It's funny, the method described above I figured out just minutes before discovering this thread!

To double-check, you can also right-click on the track, select "Get info", and the "Summary" tab with the file's description should NOT have an item that says "Volume". If it does, then, the audio volume feature is not fixed (if it is not, where it says "Volume" should read, for example, "-2.8dB". If you see this, then try unticking the sound check box in Preferences or the method described above).

Edited to add: Also, make sure that the Sound Check feature on your iPod is turned off. You can find it on the Settings menu.

cindycated

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
San Francisco, CA
iTunesisacpuhog IS MY NEW HERO!

Thank you so much for this! You're brilliant! This has been driving me nuts and I was ready to scrap iTunes.
Now for my third time of importing 40 albums...

sugarbear

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010

Thanks a lot!

clientsiman

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
Crete,Greece

Thanks mate!

tommiek

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Ditto! I also just registered to confirm that this is the way to stop the audio volume feature, if unticking the sound check box on Preferences does not work. It's funny, the method described above I figured out just minutes before discovering this thread!

To double-check, you can also right-click on the track, select "Get info", and the "Summary" tab with the file's description should NOT have an item that says "Volume". If it does, then, the audio volume feature is not fixed (if it is not, where it says "Volume" should read, for example, "-2.8dB". If you see this, then try unticking the sound check box in Preferences or the method described above).

Edited to add: Also, make sure that the Sound Check feature on your iPod is turned off. You can find it on the Settings menu.

Another registration just because this worked and ended my horrific last few days of torment with this crashing my computer!

trgz

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012

Another new registration (from a Windows7 user) expressing gratitude :)

almone

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012

Thank you so much for this, mate! You made my day! :)

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand

Don't know if this is a related problem or not. When I copy playlists to my iPhone, I need to turn the volume up all the way (on the phone) to get a decent listening level through my earbuds. The sound check box is not ticked on either my iTunes nor my iPhone, but the volume is just too low for decent listening.

If I used the album or song details 'Options' menu in iTunes to increase the volume for a particular album or song, will this copy the music from iTunes to my iPhone at a greater volume? I just need more leeway on the phone itself when listening, to have more control over the volume when I need it.

I never had this problem with my old 3G phone or a previous 4s I had. But for some reason my present phone just has too low a listening volume for what I'd been used to.

finmass

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Whew

I haven't been able to use iTunes for three days as it froze up determining some defective podcast's volume, and I actually need the program for my second job as a freelance music critic. I registered just to say thank you for solving my problem! I don't know how you could possibly just figure it out -- color me impressed as well as grateful.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Does this only happen in itunes11 since i have not upgraded and when I tried the burn disc method the sound check box was not checked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.