Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
AMD's "Hammer" 64 will have about 100 million transistors and 1MB cache. A liter version for desktops will have 95 million transistors.

Boy I hope it won't be to hot.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-975510.html

The grand prize defintely goes to the upcoming Itanium 2. It will have 410 million transistors and will burn 130 watts. But the price will be crazy at over 4 grand. Ouch!

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-975472.html

Peter :)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Ummm...

...the Itanium 2 is already out, and the reason why the Athlon64/Opteron is so big is that it includes stuff that used to be in the northbridge chip. You can think of it as two chips in one (not two processors, two chips).

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Re: AMD "Hammer" to have 100 Million transistors!

Originally posted by peter2002
The grand prize defintely goes to the upcoming Itanium 2. It will have 410 million transistors and will burn 130 watts. But the price will be crazy at over 4 grand. Ouch!

Out of the whole X86 64-bit processor arena, I think that the AMD Clawhammer will have the upper hand with developers. The Itanium has a whole new instruction set created by Intel. While AMD has basically the same x86 instruction set. So porting to the Clawhammer will be easier than porting to an Itanium. So I guess in the end when Apple and the Wintel world have made the move to a 64-bit processors there will three kinds of instructions. PPC, (64-bit mod) X86, and the Itanium's instructions. That will make benchmarking a lot hard all around. Maybe then people will realize that speed wouldn't matter as MUCH as your chips ability to handle the instructions with easy and speed (not in GHz).

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Re: AMD "Hammer" to have 100 Million transistors!

Originally posted by al256

Out of the whole X86 64-bit processor arena, I think that the AMD Clawhammer will have the upper hand with developers. The Itanium has a whole new instruction set created by Intel. While AMD has basically the same x86 instruction set. So porting to the Clawhammer will be easier than porting to an Itanium. So I guess in the end when Apple and the Wintel world have made the move to a 64-bit processors there will three kinds of instructions. PPC, (64-bit mod) X86, and the Itanium's instructions. That will make benchmarking a lot hard all around. Maybe then people will realize that speed wouldn't matter as MUCH as your chips ability to handle the instructions with easy and speed (not in GHz).

Porting to Clawhammer is a bit like porting from a G3 to a G4. You don't actually have to do ANY work, but if you do the work, it'll go faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.