Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

United Airlines today updated its official app for iOS with the ability to scan passports to check-in for international flights using a device's camera. The new feature can be accessed when a user checks in within 24 hours of a departing flight, as all passports uploaded are verified by credential management service Jumio. Once a passport is verified, users can obtain their boarding passes and save them to the app.
united_airlines_international_passports.jpg
- Customers can now use the United app to scan their passport for international check-in
- Upon check-in, verify your existing stored passport data (if already in our system) or scan your passport.
- Your device camera will be accessed, similar to many mobile banking deposit functions, and the scanned passport information will be verified for additional security. Once the image is validated, you will be able to complete your check-in and receive your boarding pass, saving you time at the airport.
United notes that flyers who require additional travel documentation such as a visa will still have to physically check-in at the airport. Passports that are scanned and uploaded can also be stored by United MileagePlus members for later flights. The app also includes additional bug fixes and more information on cards regarding flight boarding times.

United Airlines is a free app for iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: United Airlines Rolls Out Passport Scanning for International Flights to iOS App

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Had an interesting experience with Porter Airlines in Canada. If you don't have any bags to check (so just carry on), you can check in online, they email you a boarding pass which you can use at security and at the gate, however while we were waiting in the lounge they were calling people up in groups to check documents.

I think depending on where you're going and what passport you checked in with, someone (besides the gate) will want to physically see it. The airline is on the hook if you're flying to a destination that would require a visa for someone with your citizenship when you don't actually have one.

All in all, this is a good step in the right direction.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
gotta love being part of the EU sometimes. when i flew from Germany to Spain and later from Spain to Italy i didnt have to show any kind of ID. not even once, anyone could have flown having my boarding pass. i only realized it when i was actually back home looking at my expired id oop lol

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
gotta love being part of the EU sometimes. when i flew from Germany to Spain and later from Spain to Italy i didnt have to show any kind of ID. not even once, anyone could have flown having my boarding pass. i only realized it when i was actually back home looking at my expired id oop lol

And these Companies corporate heads wonder how the bad guys figure out how to take out an airplane ! :rolleyes:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
gotta love being part of the EU sometimes. when i flew from Germany to Spain and later from Spain to Italy i didnt have to show any kind of ID. not even once, anyone could have flown having my boarding pass.
This is not uncommon. All these countries are part of the Schengen agreement, meaning the flights are treated the same as domestic flights. The airlines don't have to check the IDs of passengers holding a boarding pass, just like you usually don't have to show an ID when boarding a train or similar. Of course you still had to go through the security scanner.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
This is not uncommon. All these countries are part of the Schengen agreement, meaning the flights are treated the same as domestic flights. The airlines don't have to check the IDs of passengers holding a boarding pass, just like you usually don't have to show an ID when boarding a train or similar. Of course you still had to go through the security scanner.

I think we should get clarification on that. I highly doubt any of the Schengen area airports would let a person through security without showing some form of ID that matches the boarding pass. I've done Schengen area flights through both Paris and Amsterdam and both of them had tighter security than I've experienced at LAX.

Amsterdam is especially interesting, as they have a security entrance for each individual gate instead of just one big one at each terminal entrance.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think we should get clarification on that. I highly doubt any of the Schengen area airports would let a person through security without showing some form of ID that matches the boarding pass.
I have flown extensively within the Schengen area (having lived in Germany until a few years ago). I rarely had to show an ID at the security checkpoints. Usually you have to produce an ID when checking in at the airline desk. But if you check in and print the boarding pass at a machine, it's usually enough to know the reservation number or put a known credit card into the machine. So quite often you can get on Schengen flights without ever showing an ID. And I don't really see a problem with that. It seems people have gotten used to the "security theater" that we have in the US these days. But there was a time when it was much less hassle here as well.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK

That story smells of BS.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I have flown extensively within the Schengen area (having lived in Germany until a few years ago). I rarely had to show an ID at the security checkpoints. Usually you have to produce an ID when checking in at the airline desk. But if you check in and print the boarding pass at a machine, it's usually enough to know the reservation number or put a known credit card into the machine. So quite often you can get on Schengen flights without ever showing an ID. And I don't really see a problem with that. It seems people have gotten used to the "security theater" that we have in the US these days. But there was a time when it was much less hassle here as well.

Interesting thought. I suppose logically there's no reason to require someone to show ID at an airport any more than making them show one at a movie theatre, but we get so used to it that it irrationally seems necessary.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
That story smells of BS.

you dont have to show an ID once you are within the EU. Even my american study abroad friends could travel from Germany to Spain and all over the place without showing an ID once they showed it on their first arrival within the EU. (unless you are talking about the UK of course :p you guys are special snowflakes with your own rules)

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB

I'm sure you had to show it to an airport security personnel, other than that you're right, most of the airlines don't care about your ID if you're flying within Schengen area, just like for domestic US flights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.