Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I like how they still have to refer to a hard drive as a "C Disk:" so the non-apple-fan 60 year old patent examiner will understand what it is

Also the window in the second picture has the X and minimize buttons on the Windows-side :p

Redbeard25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2003
Change that microphone to a paperclip and you're golden.

JssCKK3.jpg

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Why don't we save some development energy and just make siri default to a google search, no matter what you say. Here's some pseudocode:

- Get Human's statement
- Print "Hmm... let me think about that..."
- Sleep 5
- Goto "google.com"

Please don't! I have been google-free for a while now. I don't want to have that addiction again.

treborn

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Salem, Oregon
What I noticed...

Cool dictation will be taken up a notch. By 2016 they should be able to have dictation for the ATV.

But what I noticed, was that it looks like OS X, yet it says Touch Screen. What if the long awaited 12" iPad Pro actually ran OS X, I mean, to be a MacBook/iPad Hybrid. That is already what the rest of the world is doing, so we might as well do that by 2015, or try to capitalize in other avenues?

And I know everyone will hate to see their Mac's have a touch screen option, but these are the same people who still have a mighty collection of vinyl. I get it.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
All the menus have the underlined letters, like windows. Plus the C Disk, and the window buttons and desktop icons being on the wrong side. SOOOO windows.

Probably just an minor detail that doesn't really matter on a patent application. Just kinda weird.

Last edited:

kamikasky

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
Look who's back!

It's your favorite virtual assistant!

Attachments

• siri_clippy_full.png
    siri_clippy_full.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,008

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
The patten says touch screen? Are we talking Mac or iPad?

If Mac, that will be a change in direction...

VERY interesting....

Literally the first three words in the subject line of this article say "Siri for Mac."

----------

That might not be too far fetched. Note that the patent illustration also somehow brings the C: Drive to OS X. Wow. :rolleyes:

It's also depicted in all white with black lines. WOW THAT MUST MEAN THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE OS X LOOK LIKE THE ORIGINAL MAC OS.

Patent illustrations are used to illustrate a patent. They aren't expected to be a completely accurate depiction. Get real.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Virtual assistants on your PC will be the next big thing. Imagine if your computer could accurately parse human speech to get you what you want. All of those tedious computer tasks would be a quick, spoken, sentence away.

Siri, find the email from my boss sent last week that had a PDF attached and referenced 'third quarter.'

or

Okay Google. Show me all excel files opened within the past week that have been modified within the past two weeks.

or

Siri, take a screenshot of the current window and save it as a .png file on the desktop

100% agreed. Apple will definitely do this it's just a matter of when.

Google already does this, just that their assistant is in a browser. But from the web you can set reminders to watch a TV show or set appointments, etc, that sync to your phone. Apple will need to do this to stay feature-even between Google's Android and eventually Windows (when Cortana gets put in Windows desktop too).

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Siri, help me finish this email because I'm having a stroke and can't remember the word for when a bunch of people get together in a room to talk about something

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-07%20at%2011.16.53%20AM.png

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
I'm liking this! Just sit back and have Siri do the surfing for me, just by me asking! Totally diggin it!! And Nooooooo!! I would NOT have Siri surf those girly sites!!! Absolutely NOT!!! Who do you think I am?:eek:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Virtual assistants on your PC will be the next big thing. Imagine if your computer could accurately parse human speech to get you what you want. All of those tedious computer tasks would be a quick, spoken, sentence away.

Siri, find the email from my boss sent last week that had a PDF attached and referenced 'third quarter.'

or

Okay Google. Show me all excel files opened within the past week that have been modified within the past two weeks.

or

Siri, take a screenshot of the current window and save it as a .png file on the desktop

They will be, once recognition is improved a bit more and more importantly integration is much deeper. The initial version will be somewhat useful, but most people will stop using it once they hit a wall and find something that it can't do (Which is basically what happens with Siri on iOS right now. People are curious at first but once they get a couple of failed commands their usage drops off.)

It will need to have third party integration so that it knows how to deal with all kinds of document types and any other kinds of services (Dropbox for example.) As a software developer being able to integrate voice control into my issue tracking system would be awesome - instead of stopping what I am doing, opening a browser, opening jira, hitting create issue, filling out all the fields and saving I could just dictate that to Siri and be on my way.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The patent itself is likely not going to stick. Reading the description they've provided, this functionality is not new, nor unique to just one company.

Likelihood this patent application will (and should be) rejected.

However, what it hopefully shows, is that Apple is working towards this sort of functionality in OSx.

However, Apple has been known to apply for patents on many things, that have never made it to products.

I hope if they do manage to do a personal assistant, it will be less intrusively annoying than Clippy.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
The patent itself is likely not going to stick. Reading the description they've provided, this functionality is not new, nor unique to just one company.

Likelihood this patent application will (and should be) rejected.

However, what it hopefully shows, is that Apple is working towards this sort of functionality in OSx.

However, Apple has been known to apply for patents on many things, that have never made it to products.

I hope if they do manage to do a personal assistant, it will be less intrusively annoying than Clippy.

Agreed. And yeah it better be an opt in thing amd not some annoying notification that keeps popping up while you're doing work lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.