Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Wait is this pocket knife for protection or if, say, you were in the countryside?
Is this normal?
I'm 15 as well, but I carry my oyster card, debit card, phone, keys, headphones.

Let me rephrase what I said. Depending on location should have been depending on what I'm carrying. For example, if I'm doing a photoshoot, I carry the knife because I have hundreds of dollars of gear on me, and if someone happened to try to rob me, I have the knife there to use if the need arises. I have started to make a habit out of carrying it in places that it is allowed legally, so basically anywhere but school. It can be used as a tool also, to pry things.

Now that I have my learners, I also carry my wallet with that, my debit card, and a few other cards in it. Don't carry headphones unless it's to school. My school bag has my MacBook, charger, Magic Mouse, calculator, pens & pencils, various papers for class, a notebook, headphones, and sometimes my cameras.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
Let me rephrase what I said. Depending on location should have been depending on what I'm carrying. For example, if I'm doing a photoshoot, I carry the knife because I have hundreds of dollars of gear on me, and if someone happened to try to rob me, I have the knife there to use if the need arises. I have started to make a habit out of carrying it in places that it is allowed legally, so basically anywhere but school. It can be used as a tool also, to pry things.

Now that I have my learners, I also carry my wallet with that, my debit card, and a few other cards in it. Don't carry headphones unless it's to school. My school bag has my MacBook, charger, Magic Mouse, calculator, pens & pencils, various papers for class, a notebook, headphones, and sometimes my cameras.

It's so strange how different Richmond, VA is to Richmond, London. No learners until you're 17, no-one (other than thugs) carries a knife of any kind, in any situation, and no-one brings computers to school.
In my school bag, are books, books, pens, books, pencils, books and a calculator.
I wish I could bring my MacBook, but most schools in the UK are stuck in the early 2000's.
Seriously, most computers are rocking Windows XP, there is no working WiFi network for students, and phones are banned from school.

Reactions: TheGenerous

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
It's so strange how different Richmond, VA is to Richmond, London. No learners until you're 17, no-one (other than thugs) carries a knife of any kind, in any situation, and no-one brings computers to school.
In my school bag, are books, books, pens, books, pencils, books and a calculator.
I wish I could bring my MacBook, but most schools in the UK are stuck in the early 2000's.
Seriously, most computers are rocking Windows XP, there is no working WiFi network for students, and phones are banned from school.

Most schools in this area don't let kids take their own laptops. I'm at a Governor's School, where they have a WiFi network for students and teachers with their own laptops to use, we can use our phones in class. As for the knife thing, It's more common for people under 18 in the rural areas to carry, but I do it because I have expensive stuff.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
Most schools in this area don't let kids take their own laptops. I'm at a Governor's School, where they have a WiFi network for students and teachers with their own laptops to use, we can use our phones in class. As for the knife thing, It's more common for people under 18 in the rural areas to carry, but I do it because I have expensive stuff.

No idea what a governor's school is, but it sounds fancy

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
In my school we are allowed to use phones in class sometimes. We used to have a wifi network but it's not working anymore, aka the school changed the password. Quite sad really.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
In my school we are allowed to use phones in class sometimes. We used to have a wifi network but it's not working anymore, aka the school changed the password. Quite sad really.

Not allowed phones in the school grounds, not even at lunch.
However, teachers care less about having them now then even a year ago, but if it goes off in class/in earshot of a teacher, it will be confiscated for the rest of the day.
Even though there is no WiFi, there are telephone masts basically inside the school grounds, so I get quick 3G and 4G

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
thank god I don't go to these schools, and even then id still use my phone unseen. I use my phone when I'm not supposed to in class (well except for gym which is self explanatory why I don't) and all day.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
No idea what a governor's school is, but it sounds fancy

It's like a normal public high school, but you have to apply to get in. There's far less students than a high school of the area, only ~90 students accepted a year. You apply for a certain major. The majors are technology (what I got in for), visual arts, instrumental music, vocal music, piano, dance, literary arts, theater, musical theater, and technical theater. The environment is a more relaxed environment but the curriculum is more fast paced.

Saint.Icon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2014
iv noticed , glad i live in australia , no need to use a gun or carry one

Yeah, because in Australia people are too busy banding together in the futile attempt to survive against the onslaught of murderous rage that is literally everything in Australia.

My daily stuff (pics to come):

Brenthaven Collins Bag:

rMBP 13"
32GB iPad Air
1TB Seagate Slim HDD
Misc accessories (cables, stylus, extra SD cards, etc)

Pockets:

iPhone 5C (white, 16GB)
Wallet
Keys

Camera Bag:

Canon XSI
EF 40mm Lens
EF 50mm Lens
EFS 18-55mm Lens
EFS 55-250mm Lens
Spare Battery

Though if I'm not doing serious photo work, I stick with just the camera and either the 40mm or 50mm.

Last edited:

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
Just my iPhone and a portable charge because on Fridays we have half days so we take a lot of pictures together and we get to use them in class sometimes

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
10150700_10152365039826458_982992104830991078_n.jpg

Billingham Hadley Pro (canvas) with my Fuji X100 Limited Edition that goes with me everywhere. I usually have my iPad mini and a Moleskine notebook with Lamy Safari pen in it too. On certain days, 11" MBA gets a place in the Bilingham.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Waterfield Sleeve:
-15" Macbook Pro
-Mouse Pad

Incase Backpack
-iPad
-250GB Samsung 840 SSD inside an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini
-Cables
-Power Adapters
-Binders
-Books
-Headphones

Pockets:
-Keys
-Wallet
-White iPhone 5, not pictured

Attachments

• IMG_9429.JPG
    IMG_9429.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 457

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Surface Pro 2 in an Incase Pathway Slip Sleeve for an 11" MBA

iPhone 5s naked along with my Louis Vuitton wallet in one pocket.

My car key with a Boeing 777 keychain together and my house keys with a Lacie Rugged USB 3.0 drive on another keychain in my other pocket.

chris.breshears

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2014
iPhone 5
Keys w/ USB Drive
TX Driver License
Student ID
Business Cards
WF American Express Credit
WF Platinum Visa Credit
Insurance Cards
Bank Combos and Ciphers
Kershaw Pocket Knife

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Think I'm gonna switch things up this school year. Gonna try to pack light.

PvuGlLO.jpg

iPad Mini 16GB
Academic Planner
Burt's Bees Lip Balm
Data Traveler USB 2GB
Samsung Galaxy S3
Zebra F-402 pen
Glasses
Glasses Case
Beats by Dre Solos
Samsung Earbuds

Not pictured:
Coach wallet
Keys
Textbooks

Samelson03

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
My car keys, phone, sunglasses and wallet all go in my pocket. I have to be careful to not to put my sunglasses and keys in the same pocket. Pretty sure that's how the lenses got scratched.

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX
Anyone have a recommendation for a water bottle to carry in my backpack? I didn't carry one last semester but this semester (in Texas) is going to be a hot one...

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone have a recommendation for a water bottle to carry in my backpack? I didn't carry one last semester but this semester (in Texas) is going to be a hot one...

I was just looking for one that's insulated so it won't sweat. Let me know if you find a good one. I like my $10 Nalgene bottle, but it sweats so much I can't carry it with my kindle or ipad.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

I was just looking for one that's insulated so it won't sweat. Let me know if you find a good one. I like my $10 Nalgene bottle, but it sweats so much I can't carry it with my kindle or ipad.

I got the Wirecutter's recommendation which fits the bill nicely. Klean canteen classic.

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX

This is what I was looking at. I also saw the Polar as the second ranked bottle on Amazon. I have heard good things about the Camel baks (sp?).

corrigl

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2014
Looking to purchase a iLugger 21.5"

If anyone is interested in selling their slightly used 21.5" iLugger, I sure would be interested, especially if from Canada.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.