Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Apple has to differentiate the two. The .8" screen difference is not enough so we might get a better camera, faster cpu, better battery life, sapphire, a surprise feature, etc. on the 5.5".

Just like they did with the iPad Air and iPad Mini with retina display.........oh wait they didn't.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.

I'd be VERY shocked if Apple even thought about having a protruding camera on any device.

That's how the iPod Touch 5 has been for years. It's not too bad once you get used to it.

Maybe it is actually the iPod Touch 6 that we have been asking for :D.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Or

iPhone Mini (5s)
iPhone Air (4.7)
iPhone Pro (5.5)

They just don't sound right, but its time to ditch the numbering, the iPad just did it last year, so this might end up happening.

The iPad didn't just do it last year. Ever hear of the iPad with retina display, or the new iPad? It's 100% about marketing and what Apple believes will be the best marketing for the device. I'll let you guess why the iPad Air is called the iPad Air. Just kidding I'll tell you: they wanted to market the fact that it was much lighter and physically smaller in every dimension.

----------

If the 5.5" can accommodate improved specs including a better camera, why not give people a good reason to spend $100 more for each capacity? I don't think the 0.8" increase in screen size is enough quite frankly if that's all there is.

I think it's a great idea to alienate everyone that wants the 4.7" by making the 5.5" better specs. Oh wait.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
100% agree on this. IMO the device should be as thin as the CAMERA apparatus allows it to be. We should NEVER have a protruding camera lens (unless its some crazy optical zoom and its flush when not being used).

They should use the extra space for battery. A protruding camera is just hamfisted.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
The loop band peg is flush with the body unless it's in use. I doubt many people use it. I sometimes press it in and out for the same reason I like to pop bubble wrap.

The bands as depicted are horrible. Either they're not real, or they look a lot better in person.

Hahaha I did the exact same thing with mine until I broke it, and consequently broke my habit of pushing it. It was an awful idea, and it's only use has been people pushing the button for fun.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The iPad didn't just do it last year. Ever hear of the iPad with retina display, or the new iPad? It's 100% about marketing and what Apple believes will be the best marketing for the device. I'll let you guess why the iPad Air is called the iPad Air. Just kidding I'll tell you: they wanted to market the fact that it was much lighter and physically smaller in every dimension.

----------

I think it's a great idea to alienate everyone that wants the 4.7" by making the 5.5" better specs. Oh wait.

Those people getting the 4.7" iPhone will be paying $100 less. Doesn't that count for something?

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Or
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6 (4.7" and 5.5" models available soon)

I think they'll name them:
iPhone 6 not that great (for the 4.7" version)
iPhone 6 way better pro version (for the 5.5")

That way they alienate all the customers purchasing the 4.7".

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Just give me the prices. I just need to know how much I need to plan to spend at this point.:eek:

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
Jelly vandals always trying to scratch my apple out of the back of my phone. Finally it will stop.

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Well, it better be a bad ass camera, cause that looks ugly as hell. Anyway, it's kinda a perspective thing. When the iPhone 4 leaked everyone said it was ugly. The same with the 2 materials back of the iPhone 5/5S. We'll get over it (I hope).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So still no 5.5 part leaks..

Well, if you want to believe this rumor, there's either a 5.5" part leak clearly pictured there or the 4.7" will have a protruding lens.

And note this:
First tangible "New Mac Pro" rumor June 5, 2013: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/apple-planning-something-really-different-for-new-mac-pro/

First time the public got to see one June 10, 2013: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/apple-offers-sneak-peek-of-next-generation-mac-pro/

That's 5 days between tangible rumor and reveal for a completely new design that looks nothing at all like it's predecessor. Apple couldn't possibly do something like that with a 5.5" iPhone, which is primarily (visually) differentiated by a screen that is less than 1" bigger diagonally.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
So a scratch proof logo. Coming soon with the Iphone 6S, fully scratch proof? I mean if they make the logo light up and full of gimmicks I don't see the point. No doubt it will be used as some sort of link to either the Iwatch or Drebeats headphones as I read they are looking at connectivity.
Apple wouldn't light that logo in a trillion years, it's an absolutely terrible idea. It's likely cutout, and possibly Liquidmetal for some sort of antenna or signal to pass through, and I think Liquidmetal may be the best material for that.

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
Those people getting the 4.7" iPhone will be paying $100 less. Doesn't that count for something?

It counts for nothing. People want the best specs, hence why the newest iPhone always tends to outsell the older models. If no one cared about specs, they'd buy the older model which is... you guessed it, $100 cheaper.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Still not digging those antenna-lines.

Would love to have it look like this below (via nowhereelse.fr):

iPhone-6-3D-02.jpg

iPhone-6-3D-05.jpg

iPhone-6-3D-01.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No, they are just focused on specs to get consumer attention. That's the distinction between apple and the other brands: they care about the design of the product along with new and improved features. Comparing those to an iPhone is like comparing a timex to a Rolex

Well I can't be bothered to get worked up over parts leaks. If the final design for sale has a big ugly protruding camera for no other reason than Apple being obsessed with thin then maybe I'll care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.