Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be planning to introduce its iWatch in September, according to a comment from prominent Apple journalist John Gruber. In a post highlighting the charging functionality of the Moto 360, Gruber suggests Apple will be announcing its "wrist wearable thing next month."
It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape.

The only way this could get funnier would be if it doesn't even ship until after Apple announces their wrist wearable thing next month.
Gruber did not go on to refute his claim, and with his history of inside knowledge and sources within Apple, his comments suggest he believes the iWatch will debut in September. A September introduction would likely take place at Apple's scheduled iPhone 6 event, set to be held on September 9.

moto360.jpg
Motorola's Moto 360 smart watch​
Gruber's September claim directly contradicts previous rumors from Re/code, a site that has a track record of accurate event date predictions. In June, Re/code's John Paczkowski reported that Apple was tentatively planning to reveal the iWatch at an event in October.

Few concrete details are known about Apple's iWatch and as the device is not expected to enter production until the fall, no part leaks have surfaced. If Apple does introduce the iWatch in September, it is likely the device will not ship until late 2014 or in early 2015. Historically, Apple has revealed some product in new categories ahead of their ship date.

Apple previewed the new Mac Pro in June, for example, before beginning sales on the desktop computer in December. Steve Jobs also unveiled the original iPhone six months before launch, with the iPad shown at an Apple event more than two months ahead of its sale date.

Rumors have suggested the iWatch will contain a multitude of health and fitness sensors, measuring metrics like calorie consumption, sleep activity, blood oxygen levels, and more. It's said to integrate deeply with iOS 8's Health app and it may come in multiple sizes and multiple price points.

Update 10 PM PT: John Gruber has clarified that he made the statement as a joke and that he does not have any information on Apple's release plans: "By the way, I have no idea whether Apple is planning wrist thing for September or October, just making a joke."

Article Link: Apple to Introduce iWatch in September Suggests Apple Journalist John Gruber [Updated]

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I could easily see an announcement with a two month release date. They did it with the original iPad. It gives developers a head start and will keep people who were on the fence about AndroidWear a reason to hold off.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Absolutely, I'll be announced next month. It's going to be an iPhone accessory, not an iPad one. Therefore, it would make much more sense to be released at the iPhone event in September, not at the iPad/Mac event in October. However, as said, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't shop until late October/Early November.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
John Gruber a Journalist? an Apple fan boy? yes. Blogger? Yes, but a Journalist? .....

Yeah, lol, I agree.

Also, let's be objective here. Many, many people have said that the Moto 360 is the best looking smart watch seen thus far. Gruber's comments now have me hoping that the Apple watch has a similar design.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Also, why do you think there has been no part leaks?! Because, it hasn't gone into full production yet, it will so so after the announcement, so they can keep it secret. Just like they did with the iPhone/iPad.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I must be missing something. Where did Gruber mention "iWatch"?

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
My bet that it will be announced alongside the iPhone in September, but actual production and release date will be months later. It'll take everyone by surprise, like they did with the Mac Pro. The Moto 360 was announced back in March, and hasn't been released yet. Wouldn't surprise me for Apple to hype it up a lot before production.

They did this with the launch of the iPhone, iPad, and they'll most likely do this with the 'iWatch'.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
So a 4.7" iPhone 6, an iWatch and no 5.5" iPhone 6. That is what will happen.

The timing might be a clue. Why would it be in September right after the iPhone announcement? Apple wouldn't want to steal press away from their iPhone unless they were expecting some bad press (i.e., no iPhone 5.5" at all or late release).

So enter the iWatch announcement and everyone forgets how pissed off they were for no 5.5" iPhone.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
My bet that it will be announced alongside the iPhone in September, but actual production and release date will be months later. It'll take everyone by surprise, like they did with the Mac Pro. The Moto 360 was announced back in March, and hasn't been released yet. Wouldn't surprise me for Apple to hype it up a lot before production.

They did this with the launch of the iPhone, iPad, and they'll most likely do this with the 'iWatch'.

Yep, but I don't think I'll be as much of a surprise. I would say it could go into production early next month, then shipping late October.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape.

He's joking right? I'm not that into Motorola products right now, but I must admit that the 360 looks really good.

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
Either September will be the most important month for Apple in years or its going to be a let down.

Bring. It. On.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
That "stupid flat-tire display shape" happens to look real good. I like watches, and I like to wear watches. The ones I own are round. It simply looks better.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah, lol, I agree.

Also, let's be objective here. Many, many people have said that the Moto 360 is the best looking smart watch seen thus far. Gruber's comments now have me hoping that the Apple watch has a similar design.

Why? Because it has a round face? The black bar at the bottom is ugly (and yes I know why it's there). The watch itself seems very thick and bulky. I know it would look hideous on my tiny wrist. I can't imagine any females wearing it.

motorolla-smartwatch-moto-360-google-android-wear-05.jpg

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I think the moto watch looks great. Who knows how it'll function, but it's really nice looking. Maybe someone can explain the "flat tire" comment? I don't get it.

Regardless, I'm sure the Apple watch will look beautiful as well.

Edit: I get it, after seeing the picture in the post above mine. Doesn't really bother me. I think it's a great looking watch!

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
He's joking right? I'm not that into Motorola products right now, but I must admit that the 360 looks really good.

Yeah. Apparently it's cool to rail on the fact that Motorola couldn't get it to be completely circular (because of the display components, there's that slit at the bottom that is not an active display).

If there's a company that CAN figure out a way to do a full circular display, Apple would be at the top of my list. But as it stands, I like to applaud engineers/designers from all companies when they do a good job. I think Motorola did a great job.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I'm starting to think that September 9 will be a day filled with disappointments for MacRumors readers.. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.