Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the last several months, a number of drawings, mockups, and even rear shell parts for the iPhone 6 have consistently shown a round hole for the LED flash next to the rear camera. That feature has been one of the primary sources of skepticism about the legitimacy of these leaks, as many observers have argued it suggests Apple would have to be abandoning the pill-shaped "True Tone" dual-LED flash introduced in the iPhone 5s.

Earlier today, we highlighted a new photo set from Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] showing a number of components said to be from the iPhone 6, but one part we neglected to feature shows Apple has indeed developed a new round version of the True Tone flash. The part shows both white and amber LEDs within a single round flash component.

iPhone-6-PowerFlex-02.jpg
This round flash module is integrated into a purported iPhone 6 flex cable that contains several arms with a power button, a logic board connector, a microphone, and the round True Tone flash. The cable had been seen in a previous leak late last month, but only from the rear where the flash itself was not visible.

ifixit-true-tone-flash.jpeg
iPhone 5s flash module identified in iFixit teardown analysis.
Apple added the dual-LED True Tone flash to the iPhone 5s, replacing the white-only flash module in previous iPhone models. The True Tone flash includes both white and amber LEDs in order to improve white balance and add support for more than 1,000 different color temperatures.

Besides a round flash module, Apple may also improve the photo-taking abilities of the iPhone 6 with an enhanced camera module featuring either optical or electronic image stabilization. The high-quality rear camera may come with an aesthetic cost in some users' eyes, however, as at least the 5.5-inch model has been rumored to require a slight protrusion from the thin body to accommodate the camera, as seen on the current iPod touch.

The iPhone 6 is expected to launch in two different sizes including a 4.7-inch or 5.5-inch display, along with a more durable Touch ID. Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation handset at a September 9 press event with the retail launch to follow shortly after the announcement.

Article Link: Round 'True Tone' Flash for iPhone 6 Revealed in Latest Part Leak

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Good. Kinda figured they wouldn't remove an improvement that was added to the 5s, but nice to see the evidence. The camera is one of my biggest points of interest this go-around.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I never understood why people were so confused about this at first. It was quite obvious that Apple had merged the two LEDs or used only one LED to flash both colours very fast.

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
This is SO apple. Make something new, then go back to their originally loved forms while still keeping the improvements.

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
the dual-flash on my 5s takes so much time to calibrate, it's just embarrassing. if i want to take a photo it takes about 5 seconds with the flash :confused:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
And everyone wondered why there was no pill shaped flash on all the dummy phones and mockups.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Im just nervous as hell that the iPhone 6 will look like all those mockups :(

It is by far the worst looking iPhone! I know its just a "Mockup" but I bet 80% it will look like the dummy versions out there with its thick lines and all!

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
the dual-flash on my 5s takes so much time to calibrate, it's just embarrassing. if i want to take a photo it takes about 5 seconds with the flash :confused:

Same here. Let's hope their new version of True Tone flash is faster.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Finally an end to the "It's fake because it doesn't have trutone!"
Now back to "I'm not going to buy this if the camera protrudes."

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
That's it!

I am getting iPhone 6 for this one part...thanks MacRumors for keeping me informed! I have been waiting for a round True Tone flash module for ages and the iPhone finally has it!

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I never understood why people were so confused about this at first. It was quite obvious that Apple had merged the two LEDs or used only one LED to flash both colours very fast.

This. In the end I only laughed at these people. In every thread about the iPhone 6 people kept asking this question.. No imagination.
Finally there is the leak of the round dual flash!

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Cool, but I still never use flash on pictures taken with my phone. I only use it as the flashlight.

Using a flash as a photographer especially in dark settings only makes humans look worse. No matter what color the flash light is.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I hope some of those tagging leaked back panels as fake because of the round flash will now start to think about their logic thinking patterns.

A few months ago I mentioned that a round hole doesn't mean the flash cannot be true tone. Apple has enough power with its manufacturers in order to request them to investigate and develop round true tones. And it appears they have.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Im just nervous as hell that the iPhone 6 will look like all those mockups :(

It is by far the worst looking iPhone! I know its just a "Mockup" but I bet 80% it will look like the dummy versions out there with its thick lines and all!

People said the same thing when the iPhone 4 leaked

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
nice! i didn't really care for the pill shaped flash but if this works the same it will be a nice little upgrade! good job apple!

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Finally I can shine with my round-shaped true tone flashlight!

(Never use the flash for photo's to be honest)

MRI3T

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Finally, I knew they would.. Now all u Whiners can get back to complaining about the protruding lens...
"Blows nose"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.