Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "Your Verse" website highlighting the various ways that people use their iPads has been updated with two new stories, featuring electropop group Yaoband and Jason Hall, founder of a biking program in Detroit.

Luke Wang and Peter Feng, the two Chinese musicians who make up Yaoband, use their iPads to capture audio samples, turning them into beats. In a video on Apple's site, the duo are depicted using the iPad to capture sounds like water flowing over rocks in a river, water dripping from a faucet, a spoon on a bowl, a ringing bell, and more.

Various audio apps then allow them to mix sounds, styles, and techniques, creating a unique sound. To capture and make music, Feng and Wang use apps like iMaschine, iMPC, Music Studio, Notes, MIDI Designer Pro, Figure, and TouchOSC.

yaoband.jpg
With iPad, Luke Wang has the power to make every show unique. "I'll add new apps, new techniques, and new ideas during the show," he says. By adding fresh elements to the music, even in a live performance, Yaoband lives up to its vision of an ever-evolving sound. "Creativity and innovation are the essence of music," says Peter. "For us they're what keep the power of music alive."
Jason Hall, who cofounded Detroit's Slow Roll city bike ride that thousands of people participate in, uses his iPad to organize the event, plan routes, create posters, communicate with other organizers, check the weather, and more. Hall uses apps like Mail, Calendar, Facebook Pages Manager, Prezi, Penultimate, and Phoster, managing each bike ride from start to finish on his iPad.

jasonhall.jpg
"I wanted to convince other people to see Detroit the way I was seeing it," he says. "The plan was, let's start a bike ride and see if people want to go with us."

It began simply enough. Just 10 friends on a Monday night ride. Soon it was 20. Then 30. In its second year, the ride grew from 130 to 300 cyclists in two weeks. As the numbers increased, Hall turned to his iPad and made it the command center for all things Slow Roll. "We use it for everything we do, from mapping to communicating to ordering new T-shirts," he says."
Apple's newest stories, which are part of its "What will your verse be?" campaign and a continuation of its "Life on iPad" ad campaign, join several previous stories that have shown the iPad being used in a multitude of creative ways. Featured iPad users have included conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen, travel blogger Chérie King, mountaineers Adrian Ballinger and Emily Harrington, choreographer Feroz Khan, and biologist Michael Berumen.

Update 2:30 PM PT: Apple has now posted two YouTube videos on the new "Your Verse" stories featuring Yaoband and Jason Hall, which are embedded below.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Two New 'Your Verse' iPad Stories Featuring Electropop Group 'Yaoband', Detroit 'Slow Roll' Cofounder

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
These ad campaigns are getting a little old tbh.

I like them. They're personal and show how Apple's devices are used in the real-world, rather than directly comparing to their competitors' products (which is getting a little tiresome from Samsung & Microsoft)

Mycoolroy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Everyone knows it, nobody wants to say it. Ever since tim cook started its become obvious that he believes (mistakenly) that he needs to "fix" the culture at apple. For some reason its just attack after attack on that culture. This is just another example of the culture shift he is making.

I'm just going to say it... GHETTO!!! Do. Not. Like.

Apple, is not the apple of tim cooks eye. That my friends, would be his his agenda.

Last edited:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
"I wanted to convince other people to see Detroit the way I was seeing it," he says.

You're not selling devices to many people who are bankrupt.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Wow

Racists are not even trying to hide it anymore

The only person mentioning race is you, making you.....

That is unless the definition of Ghetto has changed, in which case even Elvis would be in trouble these days, according to you.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The only person mentioning race is you, making you.....

That is unless the definition of Ghetto has changed, in which case even Elvis would be in trouble these days, according to you.

Stop playing ignorant, pay a visit to the thread about Dr. Dre being announced as a board member, racism and terms like ghetto were used like it was going out of style

Mycoolroy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Wow

Racists are not even trying to hide it anymore

Who mentiond any race in that quote? ...Oh you associate the word ghetto with a race? Seriously though. None of us were born yesterday. Stop playing. It's time for us all to grow up and talk like adults about issues, geez.

danox574

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
"I wanted to convince other people to see Detroit the way I was seeing it," he says.

You're not selling devices to many people who are bankrupt.

As someone who's been on the slow roll (I live in the burbs, not the city), I can tell you the city may have bankruptcy on it's headlines but many people in the area have plenty of cash to spend. You may be confused about the difference between the City's financial situation and individuals who do not 100% depend on it.

Last edited:

SBklyn64

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
So who do these ads appeal to. I mean who is it marketing to?

They are marketing to those who aspire to leave a positive mark on the world. All rational people, not occupied by more pressing matters (safety, food, water, shelter), should share this common thread of humanity. It should appeal to your sense of what is productive and good. If you are moving through life looking to create and advance, Apple is marketing to you.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
and... I see nothing that can't be done with other devices, especially android tablets.

So what? The fact is these things are being done on iPads with iOS apps. Do all of these apps exist on Android and is the experience superior?

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Everyone knows it, nobody wants to say it. Ever since tim cook started its become obvious that he believes (mistakenly) that he needs to "fix" the culture at apple. For some reason its just attack after attack on that culture. This is just another example of the culture shift he is making.

Apple, is not the apple of tim cooks eye. That my friends, would be his his agenda.

So you want apple to be more white and conservative?

That's not apple

Apple is many colors and believes

Apple is gay and straight

Apple is for creation

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Stop playing ignorant, pay a visit to the thread about Dr. Dre being announced as a board member, racism and terms like ghetto were used like it was going out of style

Ummm.. pretty positive Dre would consider himself ghetto. It's not because he's black, but maybe, just MAAAAYBE, because he's from the friggin ghetto? :eek::rolleyes:

----------

So you want apple to be more white and conservative?

That's not apple

Apple is many colors and believes

Apple is gay and straight

Apple is for creation

So.. Apple is bi? :p

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Well this is an ignorant post.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

I am not familiar with what was said there so am not going to start discussing it. Here though you are claiming racism through the use of the word ghetto. I am pretty sure that any race can live in a Ghetto. Stop being ignorant.

You are the one bringing racial discussions into this thread.

sobiged

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Ummm.. pretty positive Dre would consider himself ghetto. It's not because he's black, but maybe, just MAAAAYBE, because he's from the friggin ghetto?

Dre went to a suburban middle school, his dad was in a R&B group, and he formed a R&B/ soft rap group in the early 80's. Dre is not ghetto at all. Just a persona most rock/rap stars use in the entertainment world.

Originally Posted by Aluminum213

I got to agree. The Beats threads are full of racist remarks!! Buzz terms such as Ghetto, Hood and Thug are thrown around all the time in those threads!! I've never seen those words thrown around on any other company Apple has bought!!! Just saying.....:apple:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I am not familiar with what was said there so am not going to start discussing it. Here though you are claiming racism through the use of the word ghetto. I am pretty sure that any race can live in a Ghetto. Stop being ignorant.

You are the one bringing racial discussions into this thread.

No, you are incorrect for a specific reason:

Meanings of words change and are assigned to describe specific feelings, persons and places.

In the culture of the US, ghetto has come to describe inner city African-American of lower income.

Just as the word GAY today no longer is used as meaning HAPPY. If anyone told you they were gay, would there be any confusion on your part as to what they meant?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.