Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began a new email ad campaign drawing customer attention to the iPad's productivity capabilities by highlighting several different Business-oriented apps for the tablet, including Pages, Numbers, Keynote and Microsoft's Office apps for iPad.
iPad is the perfect way to be more productive than ever. Its powerful apps are designed to take full advantage of the things only iPad can do. So you'll have everything you need to do what matters most.
The email advertises how customers can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with Apple's own iWork software, available for free with every new iPad, and it also points towards Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, which were released for the iPad in March.

productivityapps.jpg
Competitors like Microsoft and Samsung have launched aggressive ad campaigns attempting to position the iPad as a content consumption device without the multitasking capabilities or the software to allow it to serve as a true PC replacement, but Apple has fired back in recent months with an equally aggressive "Your Verse" iPad campaign that shows the iPad being used in hundreds of different ways for a variety of vital tasks that range from composing to choreographing to mountaineering.

Microsoft used the lack of Office software on the iPad as a main advertising point for its Surface tablets throughout 2013, before releasing an iPad version of the productivity software earlier this year. Microsoft has actually seen enormous success with Office for iPad, garnering 35 million downloads as of July, suggesting millions of customers are using their iPads for productivity-oriented tasks like creating documents and presentations.

In addition to sending out emails, Apple launched a promotion for several different productivity apps in the App Store last week, offering discounts on apps like Fantastical, Clear, Notability, Scanner Pro, and more. That sale lasts until August 14.

The company has also been continuing to expand its "Your Verse" advertising campaign, releasing two new stories earlier this morning highlighting Chinese electropop group Yaoband and Detroit Slow Roll city bike ride cofounder and organizer Jason Hall.

Apple's focus on productivity comes just weeks after the company inked a deal with IBM that will see the two companies teaming up to push for more iPads in enterprise environments.

Article Link: Apple Launches Email Ad Campaign Focusing on Productivity

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
If I want to be productive I'll buy a laptop. There's exactly nothing productive about an iPad/tablet. It's inferior in every way that matters to MacBook, it's not nearly as good for taking photos as even an iPhone, it's way less portable than an iPhone, no more portable than my MacBook, offers little battery advantage if any, to the MacBook, has worse App developer support than the iPhone or MacBook, it's worse to type on than either an iPhone or MacBook... I mean, it's just big enough compared to an iPhone that it's uncomfortable to type on, and neither can dream of comparing to an actual keyboard... I guess you can buy the docks and all, but then why not just by what you're essentially turning the tablet into? *cough* laptop *cough*. Exactly what is more productive about it, again? :rolleyes:

We have an iPad and it's okayish to use for reading emails (not replying), doing light browsing, watching videos where sound quality isn't a concern, playing some games... But that's about where it's usefulness ends. Why are they always trying to shove tablets down people's throats pretending they can even compare to an actual computer? I'll agree, the iPad is the best tablet out there, but tablets are just about as weak in the "I can actually use this for something" department as you can get.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I like it. The campaign proves that the iPad is a quite incredible productivity powerhouse. The experience and rich ecosystem means the iPad is the best-of-breed tablet for business and productivity. Nothing else comes close.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I still cannot figure out how to produce something with my ipad.
If you produce something with iPad, please tell everyone what are you producing.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Serious question

If apple were to make a stylus, as in a fully integrated stylus (much like the s pen or the stylus found on surface 3), would it have any real use in the business world

I know I would love one as a university student to use in conjunction with notability. It will also be highly appreciated for the iPad digital artists out there.

What I'm asking is simply would a stylus improve PRODUCTIVITY in the business world.

Perhaps the so called iPad pro could exist for those needs ?

Forgive me if everything that I just said sounds utterly ridiculous :)

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Yes you could... you could also buy a laptop. But you could also buy an iPad... that's the whole point. :confused:

An iPad which can't even handle attaching documents to an existing email thread. Productivity, uh no.

The same device that is dumbed down so grandma doesn't get confused can't be the same device for business productivity. One size does not fit all.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
iPads are about consumption.

Productivity ? That's a stretch.

How is that a stretch? With apps like Apple's iWork suite, and now Microsoft's Office suite, users are able to write documents, make presentations, and use spreadsheets. All of these which are synced to all devices in real time. There are plenty of apps that allow consumption and annotation of PDF, including digitally signing, marking up, and even faxing off. Not to mention there have been some big strides in certain programing languages on the app store that allow for some very serious programming to be done.

It's taken 7 years to get here, but the iPad has definitely taken great strides in allowing both consumption and productivity.

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
How is that a stretch? With apps like Apple's iWork suite, and now Microsoft's Office suite, users are able to write documents, make presentations, and use spreadsheets.

To make it even remotely efficient for any of that, you have to buy external hardware to make it useful. Which essentially turns it into a poor man's laptop. Which defeats the entire purpose.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I still cannot figure out how to produce something with my ipad.
If you produce something with iPad, please tell everyone what are you producing.

I've created and maintain several office style documents using just my iPad. Nothing extremely fancy but they are useful and agent the job done. It serves as a decent video editor too.

I'm not saying the iPad is some office rich powerhouse but let's not act like it's just a gaming device with a calendar either. You can do quite a lot with it if you choose to.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Yes you could... you could also buy a laptop. But you could also buy an iPad... that's the whole point. :confused:

He has a point, I certainly didn't buy my iPad for productivity. It would drive me batsh crazy after 10 minutes.

I wish I could use a stylus to take notes in class. I even bought a stylus but it's impossible to use on an iPad

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Serious question

If apple were to make a stylus, as in a fully integrated stylus (much like the s pen or the stylus found on surface 3), would it have any real use in the business world

I know I would love one as a university student to use in conjunction with notability. It will also be highly appreciated for the iPad digital artists out there.

What I'm asking is simply would a stylus improve PRODUCTIVITY in the business world.

Perhaps the so called iPad pro could exist for those needs ?

Forgive me if everything that I just said sounds utterly ridiculous :)

No.

A finger can do anything that a stylus can do from a business perspective (annotation, pointing on charges, etc.). The only time a stylus is better than a finger is for drawing art works that need precision. Other than that, other companies are just trying desperately to differentiate themselves. Additionally, a stylus for a phone? That's even more ridiculous.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If I want to be productive I'll buy a laptop. There's exactly nothing productive about an iPad/tablet. It's inferior in every way that matters to MacBook, it's not nearly as good for taking photos as even an iPhone, it's way less portable than an iPhone, no more portable than my MacBook, offers little battery advantage if any, to the MacBook, has worse App developer support than the iPhone or MacBook, it's worse to type on than either an iPhone or MacBook... I mean, it's just big enough compared to an iPhone that it's uncomfortable to type on, and neither can dream of comparing to an actual keyboard... I guess you can buy the docks and all, but then why not just by what you're essentially turning the tablet into? *cough* laptop *cough*. Exactly what is more productive about it, again? :rolleyes:

Who says it's either or? The whole point of Apple's strategy is to have both. Continuity plays right into that. I won't write a novel or a complex spreadsheet on an iPad, but I can have it on during an entire flight, and not just below 10,000 ft like with a laptop. Or I can make edits to a PowerPoint while in a cab to my client.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
I've created and maintain several office style documents using just my iPad. Nothing extremely fancy but they are useful and agent the job done. It serves as a decent video editor too.

I'm not saying the iPad is some office rich powerhouse but let's not act like it's just a gaming device with a calendar either. You can do quite a lot with it if you choose to.

When talking about "productivity " ppl immediately think about making ms office documents. It's not just that!!! There're a lots more to productivity like making orders through websites, inventory, conferences, meetings , etc...

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
This is the same company that bashed Microsoft for the surface for trying to be both a laptop and tablet. Hypocrisy at its best.

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
He has a point, I certainly didn't buy my iPad for productivity. It would drive me batsh crazy after 10 minutes.

No kidding. I can see "productive" maybe in the digital art sense, but that's about where it would end. Anything else, and you're not being productive. You're half assing/rigging subpar stuff at best. It's perhaps a decent supplement to an actual productive machine like a laptop or desktop... Something to show already completed work with, but it's not a production tool in it's own right. Not without buying everything necessary to effectively make it a laptop, and then you're still missing the ability to properly multitask and it's still half assed at best.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
To make it even remotely efficient for any of that, you have to buy external hardware to make it useful. Which essentially turns it into a poor man's laptop. Which defeats the entire purpose.

Office and iWork both work well for giving presentations and making minor edits on the go. I have never used an external keypad on my iPad mini.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You need the right apps to be productive on the iPad, which means shelling out money. Some people can do it, others can't. I'm in the middle at this point.

Having a physical keyboard makes a different, and the current options out there still keep the iPad portable.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is the same company that bashed Microsoft for the surface for trying to be both a laptop and tablet. Hypocrisy at its best.

How so? Apple isn't pretending the iPad is a Mac. It's just saying you can be productive on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.