Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Sonny Dickson? Wasn't he the one who previously leaked stuff that we later found out was fake and based on digital renders by Martin Hajek?

Good catch. People believe these leaks because they want to believe, not because there's any compelling evidence to suggest the leaks are true. Just like when the kid had the rumored sapphire panel. He did the key/knife/bend test and a lot of people went apeshot about the magical sapphire panel. Even though there was no evidence the panel was sapphire. Heck there was even more anecdotal evidence that it wasn't but that didn't stop the believers... until the sandpaper. Heyyyyyy. Wasn't that rumored panel also from Sonny?:eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If you take any flat object, and at one corner place anything protruding from the back, the item will rock when placed on a flat surface and you press the front at a certain point.

The ONLY way to stop the rocking would be to have the rear of the case bent, so you have taken out the unevenness, or you place a tiny lug sticking out at the opposite side so that it's the same thickness as, in this case the camera lens.

At the moment, this is exactly the same as having a chair with equal legs, and making one leg a little longer. It will rock.

You could bodge you way around it by selling a case that stops the rock, but really I think that would be laughable to HAVE to buy a case so that the next iPhone does not rock on the table.

They could make the rear of the shell on the other side stick out a bit, but we've not see any evidence of that.

There must be some other reason for these mock ups. Just testing out concepts perhaps.
Do you have a 5th gen iPod touch? I'd be curious to know from someone who does if the devic wobbles when on a flat surface. I'd ask the same question of someone who owns a Galaxy S5 as that has a protruding camera as well.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
My likely courses of action are now……

Keep my current 5S.
Switch to a completely different phone.
Buy the 6 if I get a real good deal.

Be honest, you're going to buy the 6.

There are no "really good deals" on them when they launch, because they are in such hot demand, retailers and network operators have no need or desire to discount them.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
I'm sorry.

No way in a million years can I see Apple make anything look this nasty and horrid.

Let's say for a moment it was a magnetic area for addition lenses to line up and stick onto. You would made a circular magnetic recess around the camera lens, not something that stick out so that the iPhone rocks side to side when you place it on a flat surface.

The bands look horrid

The shiny Apple logo looks amazingly super cheap and nasty, like some chrome plated child's toy.

Simply put it looks a cheap, nasty early mock-up to test out some ideas.

The final version will look way way better than this. It MUST do.
It's so much uglier than the "classic" design of the beautiful iPhone 4, right?

Oh, wait...
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/17/possible-iphone-4g-images-surface/
(see top-rated comments) ;) :p

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
I'll wait til 9 september to see what we get. But I have to say that if this is legitimate I am happy I got an iPhone5s and didn't wait for the 6.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Liquidmetal is still conductive so the bands must be something else.
A Liquidmetal band would be the same as no band at all.
Why bother?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
It's a done deal folks.

Apple also has the the worst security now. Remember when it was hard to even know if a new mac was coming out? We were all having fun guessing, but it was hard to get a part of an item.

I think the last 3-4 phones have been leaked pretty heavily before they were released, the 5 design wasn't even a surprise.

It's a little sad! I like surprises (but I can't help but come here every day!)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good catch. People believe these leaks because they want to believe, not because there's any compelling evidence to suggest the leaks are true. Just like when the kid had the rumored sapphire panel. He did the key/knife/bend test and a lot of people went apeshot about the magical sapphire panel. Even though there was no evidence the panel was sapphire. Heck there was even more anecdotal evidence that it wasn't but that didn't stop the believers... until the sandpaper. Heyyyyyy. Wasn't that rumored panel also from Sonny?:eek:

Last year Dickson tweeted that the iPad mini would have Touch ID and would come in space gray, silver and gold. He was even hawking photos of an alleged gold iPad with Touch ID. He also claimed the larger iPad would have 2GB RAM. So his sources are sometimes questionable.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/ipad/gold-ipad-mini-2-touch-id/

ayasjn.jpg

gold-ipad-mini.jpg
touch-id-ipadmini.jpg

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
I feel theres more to the protruding lens that we don't know. theres an apple patent that talked about a lens mounting system. perhaps (hopefully) that's the idea.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Do you have a 5th gen iPod touch? I'd be curious to know from someone who does if the devic wobbles when on a flat surface. I'd ask the same question of someone who owns a Galaxy S5 as that has a protruding camera as well.

You don't have to ask :)

That's like saying. I have a dead flat block of steel the same shape as an iPhone, I've superglued a penny on the back in one corner.
Will the device now rock when placed on a flat surface.

YES. You don't have to ask or experiment as that's common adult knowledge.

You CAN minimize it if the protrusion was wide enough and central, and the force applied to the front was minimal, then it would be hard to rock.

Or, as I say, place a tiny protrusion in the opposite corner, or distort the flatness of the back to take out the unevenness.

I don't need to stick a bit of extra wood onto the end of one table leg to know doing do will make the table wobble when placed on a hard flat surface.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm sorry.

No way in a million years can I see Apple make anything look this nasty and horrid.

Let's say for a moment it was a magnetic area for addition lenses to line up and stick onto. You would made a circular magnetic recess around the camera lens, not something that stick out so that the iPhone rocks side to side when you place it on a flat surface.

The bands look horrid

The shiny Apple logo looks amazingly super cheap and nasty, like some chrome plated child's toy.

Simply put it looks a cheap, nasty early mock-up to test out some ideas.

The final version will look way way better than this. It MUST do.

I remember reading something like this when the 4 and its seams leaked.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I feel theres more to the protruding lens that we don't know. theres an apple patent that talked about a lens mounting system. perhaps (hopefully) that's the idea.
I think you're right. It could a snap on telescoping lens for the camera.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's so much uglier than the "classic" design of the beautiful iPhone 4, right?

Oh, wait...
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/17/possible-iphone-4g-images-surface/
(see top-rated comments) ;) :p

Here's some of the comments from the first couple pages. I couldn't find one that said they liked it. And those photos basically show off what the final product looked like. These current leaks aren't showing anything close to a final product.

"I hope not. That looks hideous!"

"If this is it then I'm getting a 3GS instead. This thing is hideous."

"looks like an ugly sony ericsson phone. The design is VERY un apple like, down to the seams and the buttons"

"This looks horrendous."

"That phone looks gross and like something Nokia would make"

"That thing is so ugly. Apple wouldn't come out with a phone that looked like a block."

"One thing is for sure, either Jonny Ive is gonna fire someone or he's laughing his a55 off right now haha."

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I think it looks alright. The current edition white iPhone isn't that great looking either, in my opinion. I bet the black one will look very sexy. The actual phone will likely look a bit more polished as well.

johnnyenv

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
More than likely as you said flush liquid metal slightly different toned breaks I thin will look really stylish.
However can we throw in just a few out there ideas.

Wireless charging technology?
possible LED illumination for notifications. Because the breaks are curved you'd see the glow on the surface the device is placed on around it in a halo like.

Cooool.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

I have an iPod Touch 5G.

I've just done a test on a flat, hard desk and here are the results.

Green area - iPod rocks when pressed
Red area - iPod doesn't rock when pressed

Bear in mind you can also still touch the screen and perform actions on the green area without it rocking if you are light fingered with it. Also, when it does rock it's nothing major, around a half mm movement, it doesn't bother me but I can see it annoying some people. Obviously it doesn't rock if you have a back cover on it.

zj6tcx.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
[...] I will happily take the protrusion.

Nobody?

OK, I’ll handle this one:

“That’s what she said”

:)

I agree BTW, improved camera performance is a higher priority than any [perceived] aesthetic hit, or even the concern over wobbling on a flat surface (I don’t know when I’ve ever used my phone laying flat, other than to peek at notifications[?])

White bands look like placeholders.

They definitely looked like plastic in the various leaked photos and I was a touch surprised since they appeared to be in a groove of a metal chassis (so it didn’t seem like they were providing any kind of “signal window”).

Now with how they’re broken in that photo, it does seem like they’re not a final production part, just like a manufacturing placeholder. That’s not to say the seam area won’t be a contrasting color, but it might get “filled” with another metal variant.

Pretty cool. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.