Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaminor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
This is my first post.

BACKGROUND: I want to use my iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2009 model) as the display for the Mac mini 2.3 GHz 2012 model I am planning to purchase. My iMac has 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire 800 port and 1 Mini Display port. I use the Firewire 800 port for my external 1 TB hard drive and want to dedicate the Firewire 800 port for the external hard drive. The Mac mini has 1 Firewire 800 port, 1 HDMI port, 1 Thunderbolt port and 4 USB 3.0 ports.

QUESTION: Can I use my iMac as the display for the Mac mini? If yes, what cable do I need? Does anyone have experience with doing this, and, if so, how has it worked? Are some cables for this setup better then others, and what is the best one to purchase?

Thanks for your responses . . .

Jim

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
This is my first post.

BACKGROUND: I want to use my iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2009 model) as the display for the Mac mini 2.3 GHz 2012 model I am planning to purchase. My iMac has 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire 800 port and 1 Mini Display port. I use the Firewire 800 port for my external 1 TB hard drive and want to dedicate the Firewire 800 port for the external hard drive. The Mac mini has 1 Firewire 800 port, 1 HDMI port, 1 Thunderbolt port and 4 USB 3.0 ports.

QUESTION: Can I use my iMac as the display for the Mac mini? If yes, what cable do I need? Does anyone have experience with doing this, and, if so, how has it worked? Are some cables for this setup better then others, and what is the best one to purchase?

Jim

This should work, though I don't have these machines to verify. You will want to connect the Mini to the iMac using a Mini Displayport cable (not a Thunderbolt cable). They have the same connectors, but due to the iMac not supporting Thunderbolt, I believe it requires the use of the MDP cable. I'd look at Amazon or Monoprice for one of these (just check the reviews on Amazon to find a quality cable.)

Also, HDMI only supports up to 1080p resolution (sans the new 4k tech), so you really don't want to use any HDMI to MDP cables as you'll not get the 2560/1440 resolution that the iMac can support.

jaminor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Is this what I need? A Mini DisplayPort (male) to HDMI Adapter Cable (male)?

jaminor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I don't think the mini Display Port (male) to mini Display Port (male) will work. The iMac has a mini Display Port but the new Mac mini does not. I've looked at the ports for the new Mac mini - no mini Display Port on the one I will be purchasing.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think the mini Display Port (male) to mini Display Port (male) will work. The iMac has a mini Display Port but the new Mac mini does not. I've looked at the ports for the new Mac mini - no mini Display Port on the one I will be purchasing.

Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with display port, you are going to want to put the imac into target display mode to use it with the mini.

jaminor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
After further search I found the following information . . .

Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to a Thunderbolt port on my Thunderbolt-equipped Mac?

Yes. A Mini DisplayPort display or a display connecting with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA, DVI, or HDMI adapter will work just like it was connecting to a Mini DisplayPort connector when plugging in directly to the Thunderbolt connector on your Apple computer. Click here for more information on Mini DisplayPort connections and adapters.

So I gather that the solution is to use a Mini DisplayPort connector to Mini DisplayPort connector from my iMac Display Port to my mac Mini Thunderbolt port. Is this correct?

jaminor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Thanks for your help. I know what to do now.

Thanks again,

Jim

colinwil

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Reading, UK
So I gather that the solution is to use a Mini DisplayPort connector to Mini DisplayPort connector from my iMac Display Port to my mac Mini Thunderbolt port. Is this correct?

Yes - that's correct. It won't work the other way round (MDP mini to thunderbolt iMac), but Thunderbolt mini to MDP iMac will work fine with an MDP to MDP lead.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
No - you can toggle the iMac's display between the iMac and the Mac Mini by pressing cmd-F2. No rebooting required.

I didn't say the iMac would have to be rebooted.
I said booted; as in the iMac would have to be on and running OS X. You can't turn on just the monitor portion of the iMac.

I see situations where this could be useful. But if you really just want the iMac for its screen, then it seems much more effective to sell the iMac and buy a display.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I had the 2010 iMac and you could only use it as a display on the 27" model. The 21.5" model I had would not support this.

leandrogp13

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
This is my first post.

Jim

Hi Jim, have you done it already? did any of this options worked? I want to do exactly the same thing and I was wondering if you made it.

Thanks in advance,

Leandro

skeetr

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2014
iMac 2007 version display for mac mini

It looks like I'm close.
I have an iMac 2007 version that has miniDVI for the display port.
and a 2 year old Mac mini with thunderbolt or HDMI out.

is there such a connector as a miniDVI male to Mini DisplayPort male?
would this work?

would this old imac support that?

Many thanks folks

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It looks like I'm close.
I have an iMac 2007 version that has miniDVI for the display port.
and a 2 year old Mac mini with thunderbolt or HDMI out.

is there such a connector as a miniDVI male to Mini DisplayPort male?
would this work?

would this old imac support that?

Many thanks folks

No. The only Macs that support Target Display mode are the 27" iMacs from 2009 - Today and the 21" iMacs from 2011 - today. 2007's could not due target displaymode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.