Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
"This is our latest stable release and users of all previous versions are encouraged to upgrade to this release for features, as well as performance, stability, and security fixes. See the release notes for more info."

Download here.

I don't think stability will be that much improved, but I haven't tried it out myself. Mozilla 1.1 crashes on eBay, so this may have been fixed.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I am using Mozilla 1.2. I started using it a couple of days ago. To be honest, I have not noticed any differences from v.1.1. v.1.1 used to crash every so often on certain sites. The new version has yet to crash.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
I've been using Netscape 7 for 2 days now and I'm pretty happy with it. Feels nice to know I'm practically Microsoft free.
I started with Netscape 7 + then moved to Mozilla for the blocking of pop ups feature. They look almost identical (based on the same code).

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It seems to coming along nicely if the following problems could be addressed I'd ditch IE for good !!!

Slow as hell to start up.

Slow to open a window. That includes browser windows, prefs, the lot.

Incomplete Javascript support. Even with all the scripting options turned on. try Ozones it's a perfect demonstration of DHTML and excellent flashless webdesign.

It's got a far faster page renderer than IE and it doesn't go nuts with large 80K+ html documents like a lot of the pages of this site.

No annoying cache bug like IE either.

I can't wait for a fully complete version of Mozilla to come out, It only needs certain things speeding up and then they can concentrate on improving the interface even more.

I'm determined to leave all the M$ crap for good one day but NS isn't perfect either so IE will have to do as my main browser. I suppose things could change when I move up to OS X and have more 3rd party browsers to choose from.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Javascript is different from Java.

It's embedded in pages. For instance if you don't know vB code on this site you can click on the buttons when writing a message and the dialogue boxes that pop up and the subsequent text it inserts into the message field is all done with javascript.

Those annoying 'punch the monkey' or the more just (if they existed) 'punch the java programmer' banners you get on some pages are java applets.

java's like an environment sort of like running an OS in an OS except it's runtime so the code compiles and executes in realtime from the source provided.

Maybe you know all this already. Sorry, it's just that nothing's going to solve the javascript issues with mozilla till it's got compete support for the language. The best javascript feature it's got is being able to remove pop up banners at present.

deaxes

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2002
New York
If Only....

If only they would set it or have a setting to allow it to open a new navigator window when you click on the Mozilla icon on the dock. Once they do that I will switch from IE to Mozilla! I think the problem is it's not just a web browser, but an email and all, just like Netscape. I need to check out the other versions of mozilla that does only web browsing.;)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: If Only....

Originally posted by deaxes
If only they would set it or have a setting to allow it to open a new navigator window when you click on the Mozilla icon on the dock. Once they do that I will switch from IE to Mozilla! I think the problem is it's not just a web browser, but an email and all, just like Netscape. I need to check out the other versions of mozilla that does only web browsing.;)
Sounds like you need to check out Chimera. It has the same rendering engine as Netscape/Mozilla, but not all the overhead. It puts IE to shame.

Chris

deaxes

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2002
New York
Re: Re: If Only....

Originally posted by chmorley
Sounds like you need to check out Chimera. It has the same rendering engine as Netscape/Mozilla, but not all the overhead. It puts IE to shame.

Chris

Chimera isn't mature enough for the amount of surfing I do! btw, isn't chimera the name of the virus in Mission:Impossible 2?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My mum likes Netscape 7.x and since it hasn't been corrected with the latest Mozilla code, I downloaded v1.2 and it works quite well.

I noticed that there is an issue with v1.2 and will be handled shortly (?!) with v1.2.1. You can read about it at http://www.mozilla.org/

I've been using Chimera 0.6.0 and am surprisingly happy with it. I still must use Internet Exploder for school though. :(

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Re: Re: If Only....

Chimera isn't mature enough for the amount of surfing I do! btw, isn't chimera the name of the virus in Mission:Impossible 2?
Have you tried Chimera in the past couple of weeks? Check out the latest nightly and see if you still feel the same way. At this point it is at least as stable on my computer as M$IE, and it can render nearly anything Mozilla can. Not sure about the MI2 reference, as I haven't seen it.

Chris

deaxes

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Re: Re: If Only....

Originally posted by chmorley
Have you tried Chimera in the past couple of weeks? Check out the latest nightly and see if you still feel the same way. At this point it is at least as stable on my computer as M$IE, and it can render nearly anything Mozilla can. Not sure about the MI2 reference, as I haven't seen it.

Chris

The NIGHTLY release??? I've tried .6 and that sucked. I never seen anything about a nightly release. but then again, I don't really know how to compile anything that has a gui. (I use fink for non gui stuff)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If Only....

The NIGHTLY release??? I've tried .6 and that sucked. I never seen anything about a nightly release. but then again, I don't really know how to compile anything that has a gui. (I use fink for non gui stuff)
Yeah, the nightlies are easy to find. You can just go to the Chimera homepage or straight to the nightlies directory. You don't have to compile anything.

Try it or don't.

Chris

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
This has really annoyed me! I downloaded Mozilla 1.2 (only because I thought it was a final build)!! However, now they say that there is a bug + a new version is coming out. The problem is that I have downloaded the 1.2 relases (18Mb) + it took me forever to download on my Modem!! Now, I am going to have to download a new version because they missed something! Damm, I pay by the minute.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
1.2 has now been pulled because of a bug that can cause dhtml to fail, a fixed release its supposed to be due shortly.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The fix seems to have little effect, installed the new version about an hour ago and it still has problems with mouseover events and numerous other DHTML code.

Still takes forever to startup aswell.

I can't wait for this browser to get sorted out, If it worked properly with 99% of the websites I visit and they'd speed up switching between windows and starting up I could ditch IE forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.