Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirco15

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010
i don't want bigger iphone

Hi,
i don't want and i don't need bigger iPhone, i'm very sad about that, i had iphone 4, 4s, 5 and now i have iphone 5s galaxygrey 32 GB and it's the best iPhone in the universe.

I think this bigger iphone6 -4.7" and 5.5"- is the biggest ******** that do apple in its history.

and this iphone6 is very very ugly like a samsung or htc.

I miss Steve, i miss Steve so much.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Not sure why anyone would take this as confirmation of a 5.5" model. Could be a sapphire/non-sapphire version, a "6c" model, or any number of things.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
What if it's just 2 different colors and not sizes??

If they had to get permission for each model in a different color, might they also have to get permission for each model in each color in each capacity for each carrier? I am probably wrong about that, but I think that they will have a 4" model and a 4.7" model.

Please Steve come back with an better iphone 4", Tim understands nothing.

Tim understand one thing: how to count the proverbial beans.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Did anyone consider that "two models" could refer to two storage capacities? I'm not denying the 5.5 incher but I'm still waiting to see.

mirco15

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010
Tim understand one thing: how to count the proverbial beans.

ok we will see who will buy this ugly freesby,
not serious people, not the serious people who have followed apple all these years.

i want apple, i don't want an samsung-apple. i hate samsung and i find the size and appearance of those phones ridiculous

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Agreed...

I agree with some of the earlier posters in this thread.

I think the two v.6 models will be the 4.7" with "those bands" and stickyouty camera and a 4" plastic backed 6c with the internals from the current 5s (including the touchID). Going on past releases, this seems like the most Apple like thing for them to do...

As far as I can see, there is no real evidence for the mythical 5.5" being produced this year...

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Sorry. But this is not confirmation. Hello free iPhone 5C with 8GB storage.

I'm sorry, but that's a terrible excuse. Thailand wouldn't have to undergo approval for a different storage option- besides, the report stated 2 models... and if we assume one of those is the 4.7" iPhone 6, it would have said 4 instead (16GB, 32GB, 64GB) + the 8GB 5C.

The tweet and report also mentioned the new iPhone 6... not the existing 5C... thus the report is almost undeniably stating that the iPhone 6 will come in 2 variants- that could be screen size or power, it's unknown, but it's certainly not storage capacity.

rosewoodAt5th

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2004
This isn't a confirmation of anything but the existence of some iPhone 6 somewhere of some variety.

If the 5.5 exists and is delayed Apple might still announce it in September but they probably would not be seeking Thai regulatory approval until October for a November or December ship date. It seems as though Apple is keeping a tighter lid on the 5.5 by delaying it's production... I could still see them announcing them both at once, if there is indeed a 5.5, so that people won't be disappointed by a larger model only a couple months after they bought the 4.7

In the end who knows... I guess my real point is this story proves nothing either way except, as I said, the existence of the iPhone 6 in general.

Luckily it seems we won't have to wait long to find out.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Hi,
i don't want and i don't need bigger iPhone, i'm very sad about that, i had iphone 4, 4s, 5 and now i have iphone 5s galaxygrey 32 GB and it's the best iPhone in the universe.

I think this bigger iphone6 -4.7" and 5.5"- is the biggest ******** that do apple in its history.

and this iphone6 is very very ugly like a samsung or htc.

I miss Steve, i miss Steve so much.

Do you have extremely tiny hands or something...?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011

But doesn't this already exist today? Why would you need approval for something already on sale with an assigned model number?

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida

# accept change, if you don't like it, there's always the 5c (like you mentioned) and the 5s

I'm sorry, but that's a terrible excuse. Thailand wouldn't have to undergo approval for a different storage option- besides, the report stated 2 models... and if we assume one of those is the 4.7" iPhone 6, it would have said 4 instead (16GB, 32GB, 64GB) + the 8GB 5C.

The tweet and report also mentioned the new iPhone 6... not the existing 5C... thus the report is almost undeniably stating that the iPhone 6 will come in 2 variants- that could be screen size or power, it's unknown, but it's certainly not storage capacity.

Exactly. :rolleyes:

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I think it's funny that there are people whining about no 4" model remaining the fact is most people either really want a bigger phone or don't care one way or the other. Very few seem to be in the "I want 4" and refuse a 4.7" phone" category. Even the guy above that said "Steve would never let this happen" is wrong. If SJ saw the way desires were going he would probably agree to release a bigger phone too. Assuming the 6 was 4" you would probably the first flat sales for a new iPhone. And then HTC would gain more traction since most iPhone users would refuse Samsungs POS Galaxy devices.

The fact is, if Apple were to not release a bigger phone they would lose sales. Maybe not mine but they would lose out on tons of sales. By release the bigger phone they don't lose sales becuase smaller phone proponents will simply buy the bigger phone or keep their old one for longer. The bigger phone proponents will buy the bigger phones. And the ppl that already jumped ship to Samsung or HTC for a bigger screen should come back.

mirco15

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010

Nup,
and I do not live in a ranch, do not breed cows, not a wannebe, I'm not a farmer with his hands by plowman fields.

I am a designer, an architect, a Estata, an artist, I need a phone to my height.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
A better combination would be 4.7 and a normal 4, wouldn't it? I mean, that keeps both the people who want the same size and the group that wants something bigger.

The best combination would be to drop "c" models, 3.5" models, and sell 3 iPhones with few differentiation between them, just like iPads. Maybe with one older model too:

4" "iphone", starting at 99$ for 32GB.
4.7" "iphone air", 199$ for 32GB, 249$ 64GB
5.5" "iphone pro", 299$ 32 GB, Sapphire as standard, 349$ 64GB, 449$ 128 GB.

5s ("iPhone c", 16GB, 0$, but 400$ unlocked. Major seller right here.

Everything else could and should be the same (processors, touch ID, camera, etc.). It's just a matter of getting the "mix" right. A much bigger userbase would be targeted, margins would be fine, everybody (almost) would be happy.

I still wouldn't be able to justify an iPhone, but I realize what my needs are and that Apple thinks on a much bigger scale. This looks like the best option for them.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iPhone 6C replacing the iPhone 5S + the new iPhone 6 (4.7) with better specs ;)
maybe just maybe the iPhone Air (5.5) also being announced but coming "later this winter"

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
How come? They are different models (same model can be of different color, but not storage size) and different models need approval.
From the link that screensaver400 posted earlier, the Axxxx model numbers do not change under size differences.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
As expected, 5.5" doesn't exist because there is just no leaked parts for 5.5" so far.

"Apple reportedly filed the import application on August 5 and received certification of equipment and a written approval notice on August 8 for two iPhones with model numbers A1586 and A1524."

A1586 no doubt is the new iphone 6 as the model number is by far the largest, even larger than any model for Iphone 5S.

Right now, the highest Iphone 5C model is...guess what? A1532. Iphone 5C model is even higher than the unreleased A1524, so most likely this is a cheap 6C model.

i2Cg8NL.jpg

Last edited:

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013

I have average sized male hands and 4,7 screen of a Galaxy S4 is significantly harder to use 1-handed compared to the 4" of iPhone 5S for me. I can only imagine it being significantly worse for average-sized female users and that's A LOT of prospective buyers.

On another hand though, females don't give a crap about how well a phone fits in a pocket. They use handbags. I don't think I know of ANY females that use trouser/pants pockets in the same way males do (though I am sure they are out there somewhere).

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
I don't doubt the existence of a 5.5in model but I also don't think this necessarily proves there is one.

Personally I would prefer a 4.3in model but I understand that it's not really possible for Apple to please everyone when it comes to screen size. That being said, a 4.7 and a 5.5 does seem skewed towards the large end; Especially when all their current users have purchased 3.5 or 4 inch devices. Going to the 4.7/5.5 combo seems like a pretty drastic change. On the other hand sizes that large are practically the industry norm at this point (although Apple is selling tons and tons of 4in devices while companies like Nokia, Motorola, and HTC are basically selling none of their larger models).

I'm a 6'6 male with relatively large hands and I've always felt that 4.7in models were slightly too large. I found them tough to do tasks on the move (which is what I believe a cell phone is for). It can be awkward trying to use your maps for navigation and drive for example. I've never used a 5.5in but based on my experiences with 4.7in phones I don't personally see why anyone would want one.

That being said, I was a little disappointed when Apple simply added height to the 4in phone but didn't add any width. I've never actually used a 4.3in phone but I think that would be the perfect size for me.

Last edited:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
The "highest" model number for the current iPhone 5C is A1532, and now this rumor is talking about an A1533. Seems as likely as anything that A1533 is the new $99 model.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/differences-between-iphone-5c-models.html

Where is A1533 referenced?

From the article:

"Apple reportedly filed the import application on August 5 and received certification of equipment and a written approval notice on August 8 for two iPhones with model numbers A1586 and A1524."

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Please Steve come back with an better iphone 4", Tim understands nothing.

Thank you, armchair CEO. Do you realise Apple's current market value is almost double that of when Steve Jobs died? And that Apple are doing absolutely fine, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with creating an iPhone with a larger screen.

But hey, can't win. If they'd still stuck with 3.5", you'd say they've lost innovation and they're still running the company like Steve was leading. If they create larger sized iPhones, you say they're clueless and bastardising Steve's vision.

But I don't have to tell you all this as you clearly have a profound insight as to the inner workings of Apple, and if only they had you at the helm when Steve died, they'd be much better off, I'm sure.

(almost double the market cap)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.