Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
And this all coming from a guy who claimed innovation was dead in 2006... So he goes out and buys up all of the companies he can (sun for example). He then proceeds to destroy MySQL for businesses, leaving only hobbyists. Most of them run Postgresql anyways now because MySQL is now closed source. Not to mention OpenSolaris.

I am probably biased against Oracle, i really do not like their business practices of locking people into a particular platform and vendor because they use a certain database system. It would be different if SPARC still was 20 to 50 times faster than x86, but thats not the case anymore.

If big enterprises could get away from oracle effectively i bet they would. As new businesses form they stay away from oracle and go for either MSSQL or Postgre. Eventually i hope they get phased out. I see oracle failing long before apple fails.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Did you know there actually was a PowerMac 9600? It was the top of their line at the time. I always wanted one but couldn't afford it on my $10 a week allowance. :p

heh i did actually own one of those at one point when i was a poor college student, complete with newertech G3 upgrade card and a whopping radeon 7000 graphics card. haha

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
They fired Forstall…..

Not quite. Forstall's really off on vacation working on his zen skills. It was all part of Steve's plan.

Forstall will spend a lonely, contemplative winter in the wilderness, before returning to save Apple! And as it was before, so it will be now.

There! That's my rumor for the day. :)

Yeah, right. Heh, I'd just say Forstall's not coming back, period. I was stunned to see and hear those several really obvious digs at Forstall actually show up in that keynote awhile back. That's way different from people trash-talking about someone in a bar or on Mac-centric forums. Either Forstall really, really burned his bridges on the way out, or some at Apple are trying to make a case that he may as well have burned his bridges.

Compile

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Take it from someone that works in an enterprise that has been a "Sun/Oracle" shop for the last 20+ years....Ellison is slowly running Oracle into the ground with his pricing for hardware and software maintenance. Once you commit to an Oracle DB infrastructure it's a big committment (kind of like standardizing on Exchange and Microsoft Office) and it's not something you can swap out easily...but lots of folks are seriously looking at alternatives to Oracle now. Not that Ellison will care....he's got his billions already and would have to enlist Mike Tyson as his financial advisor to lose them.

Many companies are switching to IBM. I know this because my brother-in-law is IBM's go to guy when it comes to selling their product to big multi-national companies. He's tells me every time IBM steals an Oracle client away and that is quiet often.

Last edited by a moderator:

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
i agree with him, i mean, the biggest change without SJ is the iOS7, nothing else. apple needs to appoint a new ceo Cook is not THE RIGHT GUY for this company. if they appoint the right guy they CAN survive even without SJ.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
i agree with him, i mean, the biggest change without SJ is the iOS7, nothing else. apple needs to appoint a new ceo Cook is not THE RIGHT GUY for this company. if they appoint the right guy they CAN survive even without SJ.

But Steve Jobs appointed Tim Cook....

Compile

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
humans make mistakes...

Why people think the CEO of a company actually creates anything is beyond me. Jobs pretty much what prototypes their developers were making would actually make it to market.

He may have developed something but the fact people think any CEO creates is beyond me. This is why you have R&D departments, THEY CREATE.

Tim Cook is their to keep the ship going with whatever Apple has had brewing since Jobs was there. Developing electronics is not like software. It takes a LOT of time more then software. For example, the Xbox One/PS4 were in development about a year or two after the previous consoles where released.

What electronics you see today most likely began development 4+ years ago, compared to software (ie: Madden 2014, which began just shortly after 2013).

Larry shouldn't have said anything because he hasn't been involved with Apple for a decade. Also fix your god damn software before dragging another company down. Java exploits are found at least once a week.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Let's get this straight this is the Larry Ellison who cheats even when competing in the Americas Cup right. And therefore gets the largest punishment ever meted out in the history of the Cup, which has had some pretty despicable characters in its ranks.

Yea, I'll listen to his "unbiased" opinion on other tech companies.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Why people think the CEO of a company actually creates anything is beyond me. Jobs pretty much what prototypes their developers were making would actually make it to market.

He may have developed something but the fact people think any CEO creates is beyond me. This is why you have R&D departments, THEY CREATE.

Tim Cook is their to keep the ship going with whatever Apple has had brewing since Jobs was there. Developing electronics is not like software. It takes a LOT of time more then software. For example, the Xbox One/PS4 were in development about a year or two after the previous consoles where released.

What electronics you see today most likely began development 4+ years ago, compared to software (ie: Madden 2014, which began just shortly after 2013).

Larry shouldn't have said anything because he hasn't been involved with Apple for a decade. Also fix your god damn software before dragging another company down. Java exploits are found at least once a week.

if apple hadn't brought Jobs back we wont have the iphone, ipod, ipad, etc. today. it was SJ's idea.
all Cook had to do was to maintain the products, provide software and hardware updates regularly. but he couldn't even do that, could he?
today, iphone has pre-2012 specs, and a software which apple has been dragging along since the intro of the i-products.
iOS7 is only in it's BETA phase and there are hundreds of reviews from people who have used it and they say "although iOS6 was old and boring, it was better"
so you see, when a CEO cant handle these type of things, he's WORTHLESS!

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
We all know Steve was phenomenal, but it seems like nobody wants to give anybody else a chance to do something great.

The fact that Apple hasn't gone out of business since Steve passed away is a success in and of itself .

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Dunno why Ellison is occupying his mind with the future of Apple......

With his boat Oracle defending the America's Cup, he has the pride of the USA at stake.....

One way to try to snag the Cup more often is apparently to drive the price of the boats up so far that there are hardly any competitors...

Update: on topic... Tim Cook is doing fine. Let Larry mind his own biz.

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
This is all anyone needs to know about this matter:

the%20difference%20between%20god%20and%20larry%20ellison.jpg

EDIT: dammit...need to check the dates for resurrection by others :/

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I feel that TC could not have marketed us the iPhone and iPad as SJ did. But, now that they are mature, that there are competitors, I feel that SJ's idealogy and quirkiness would get in the way. They make money hand over fist, no need to get market share, but to maintain the icon like products, they do need to be real and genuine in todays market. Close enough to todays specs, maintain high quality, and innovate, as I feel they are doing in iOS8/Yosemite. 4.7/5.5 screens would not have happened, and thats an attitude from another lifetime. TC is doing fine IMHO, he is catching up the mature products.

EDIT. Ive really enjoyed watching past clips and docos of SJ. He is the man. But today TC is better to push forward once the main man has made his mark. Its another time now. RIP

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… Under Jobs, Apple became one of the world’s most valuable companies. But Ellison said that was never his goal.

“He wasn’t trying to be rich,” Ellison said at D10. “He wasn’t trying to be famous. He wasn’t trying to be powerful. He was obsessed with the creative process and building something that was beautiful.” …​

– Larry Ellison Says We Know What Apple Without Jobs Will Look Like - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD (2013-08-12)

I have not listened to the Larry Ellison interview in its entirety. Did Ellison's words, in context, truly hint at a bleak future?

… Apple wants to make the best, not the most …​

– Apple's Tim Cook Discusses Emerging Markets and Plans for Cash - Digits - WSJ (2014-02-07, referred from Apple: the best is not necessarily the most popular)

Related

… delivering a good product, while using the bare minimum hardware. That's such a delicate method …

… sh***ing all over the design … now even though it looks more modern, it is a cluster fk … harder to use, and takes more time. It's not just getting used to things, it just isn't as intuitive. …

Tim Cook's vision for 'his' Apple begins to emerge – discussing Tim Cook's Apple Takes Shape - WSJ (2014-07-07)

Visionary Apple approaches to Mac OS X: past, present and future (2014-08-16)

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Whatever. I don't care what Ellison says. What I do care about is that Apple has not introduced a new product since January 2010, almost FIVE YEARS WITH NO NEW PRODUCTS!!!! Certainly the iphone and ipad have kept developing, though those are now pretty much incremental changes, but half a decade since a new product category is an eternity in the world of electronics. During that time there have been dramatic developments in all sorts of consumer technology, and apple has basically done nothing except continuing to exploit their legacy product lines, many of them on a diminishing basis: the ipods are going down, now even the ipads are going down, and android is so far ahead in market share it's not even funny, meanwhile the iphone has gotten a ton of competition that frequently outstrips it in many areas.

I'm sorry, but Apple looks like it has stood still. There's nothing of interest that happened since SJ died. TC keeps promising new products, but it's been all talk for years now. The most exciting thing apple has produced recently is rumors and more rumors.

I don't know if apple has a grim future, but so far it's been a dud since SJ's death. We'll see what they'll come up this year (more promises "2014 will see exciting new products!" said TC) - it's almost 75% over so whatever... and so far I'm not even that excited by a wristwatch or the eternal supposed TV (not exactly a brand new idea, and one that never appears to materialize either).

Unless apple really blows us away with a new product category, apple is turning into another sony - a slow, slow decline.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
half a decade since a new product category is an eternity in the world of electronics. During that time there have been dramatic developments in all sorts of consumer technology

Please name these?

It seems to be that a lot of the interesting developments are software and services built on the iOS platform.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Please name these?

It seems to be that a lot of the interesting developments are software and services built on the iOS platform.

Yes. What new product category is there that is not a music player, phone, tablet, laptop, desktop? Smartwatch completes the set. I am also keen to here a few NEW product categories that are missing from this set.

I am also keen to here what other platform can use a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, music player to send and receive telco phone calls, telco SMS, iMessage, Facetime video and audio, all built in??? As in these product categories, the whole set, in iOS8/Yosemite. And where all these separate devices can be used individually, or you can view them as ONE device as you switch from one to the other to continue your workflow. Thats progress

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Please name these?

I am also keen to here what other platform can use a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, music player to send and receive telco phone calls, telco SMS, iMessage, Facetime video and audio, all built in??? As in these product categories, the whole set, in iOS8/Yosemite. And where all these separate devices can be used individually, or you can view them as ONE device as you switch from one to the other to continue your workflow. Thats progress

Google is doing it with the Glass project. That's a completely new wearable comp. category. I predict it will be big one day. My point is not that Apple needs to do a glass project specifically, but that apple is doing NOTHING new as far as new product categories. Other companies are, and glass is an example.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Google is doing it with the Glass project. That's a completely new wearable comp. category. I predict it will be big one day. My point is not that Apple needs to do a glass project specifically, but that apple is doing NOTHING new as far as new product categories. Other companies are, and glass is an example.

I guess that applies to LG, Samsung, Microsoft, HTC, etec, etc, etc. Example, is smartwatches. been out for ages, Sammy did one last year, they are late, Apple is doing one i 2 days, also late. Its a small market, but thes etwo companies may turn it mainstream, and if they do, they will do what Apple did to the smartphone, didnt invent it but did create the modern day smartphone. Google Glass is great, so everyone else has failed becauise they did not invent it at the same time? Is Google Glass available for retail sales yet? What price? If its actually useable, and saleable, you will find the manufacturers will do one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.