Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded Mavericks 10.9.5 build 13F14 to developers, just over a week after seeding the second OS X 10.9.5 beta, build 13F12, and more than a month after releasing OS X 10.9.4 to the public.

The beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Developer Center.

10_9_5_13f14.jpg
It is unclear what improvements the 10.9.5 update will bring to Mavericks, but it is likely to include bug fixes and stability enhancements. Apple is asking developers to focus on USB, USB Smart Cards, Graphics, Safari, and Thunderbolt.

Along with working on improvements to Mavericks, Apple is also beta testing OS X Yosemite, which is due to be released in the fall. The last Mavericks update, 10.9.4, added several Wi-Fi fixes and improved wake from sleep reliability.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 Build 13F14 to Developers

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
As if anybody truly cares about Mavericks at this point

Plenty of people do, for some people it makes sense to update quickly but for others there are good reasons to stay on the last version for a length of time.

I'm excited about 10.10 but also very glad to see more work done on 10.9.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone know if it is stable enough to use as a daily driver?

The last few betas have been as stable as 10.9.4 although there's always the risk that they introduce a new bug in a beta release. In general I'm usually confident enough to use betas of versions from x.x.1 on up in regular use.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Id assume it has a transition package for upgrading to 10.10 and some behind the scenes bug fixes for that process to be smooth.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands

Yeah well friends of mine that actually make money with their Macs are prohibited by me to jump directly on the new OS X. So yes, 10.9.5 is welcome, it will be a while before Yosemite will be ready for prime time.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011

Yes because your feelings represent everyone else's. I use my Mac for work. Which means the software I'm using needs to be in working order. I wait A LONG time before I update to a new os because if something doesn't work, I'm ****ed. So the fact that Apple is continuing on making 10.9 better is welcome to a lot of users.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

What's wrong with you? Why do you think that you speak for everyone?

Many people wait quite some time after a new OS is released. Do you know why? Do I need to explain it to you? Let me know if you want an explanation or if you have enough thinking power left to figure it out for yourself.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm resigned to the fact Finder will never be fixed in Mavericks. It will always be slow.

Give some examples of _how_ it is slow for you and you then people can offer some potential solutions. Moving to SSD seems to be a requirement these days. Not sure why performance with HDD has degraded with recent OS X releases. Major architectural changes introduced with Mavericks seems to be the cause.

That said, I still use a 2007 MacBook Pro running Mavericks and it remains responsive enough to get work done on it one day a week. The rest of the time I'm using a 2013 MacBook Air which runs like a champ.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Give some examples of _how_ it is slow for you and you then people can offer some potential solutions. Moving to SSD seems to be a requirement these days. Not sure why performance with HDD has degraded with recent OS X releases. Major architectural changes introduced with Mavericks seems to be the cause.

That said, I still use a 2007 MacBook Pro running Mavericks and it remains responsive enough to get work done on it one day a week. The rest of the time I'm using a 2013 MacBook Air which runs like a champ.

The biggest problem I have is displaying contents of folders in column view. There is a significant delay before folder content is visible and especially for icons to draw. When I navigate into my Applications folder most of the app icons are generic. It takes over a second as the app icons go from the generic system app icon to the individual app's icons one by one down the column.

In all other versions of OS X from SL through ML these things occurred almost instantaneously. I have SSD's in all my Macs.

This is more annoying than a deal killer. It just makes the system seem sluggish when in fact it should be as fast as ever.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
The biggest problem I have is displaying contents of folders in column view. There is a significant delay before folder content is visible and especially for icons to draw. When I navigate into my Applications folder most of the app icons are generic. It takes over a second as the app icons go from the generic system app icon to the individual app's icons one by one down the column.

In all other versions of OS X from SL through ML these things occurred almost instantaneously. I have SSD's in all my Macs.

This is more annoying than a deal killer. It just makes the system seem sluggish when in fact it should be as fast as ever.

Try dealing with folders with several thousand files in them. It takes ages for the content to load and if you move/copy big amount of files between folders, the copy/move process is extremely slow, not because the files are large but because they are "too many". The system can even hang for 10-15 seconds sometimes. At some point restarting Finder speeds it up but couple minutes later it's the same unresponsiveness. And this pretty much has been this way since SL. ML slowed things down even further but the last speedy finder we had was Leopards.

And it has nothing to do with SSD.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
The last few betas have been as stable as 10.9.4 although there's always the risk that they introduce a new bug in a beta release. In general I'm usually confident enough to use betas of versions from x.x.1 on up in regular use.

Do you use it? I did use 10.9.2 beta and i was unaware of the SSL bugs lol.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I have run all the 10.9.5 betas and have run most of the betas beyond x.x.1 on my main machine for a long time without anything being an issue for me.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX

You clearly have zero understanding how Enterprise IT works... For example, in our place of business, we are not planning to roll 10.10 until they are at 10.10.2 at least, and I am calculating that will be around February or March, next year...

So our efforts are concentrated to make sure Mavericks works with our infrastructure until the last day of its breath.

So yeah, we care about how Robust Apple can make Mavericks.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
3 finger Back/forward swipe in Finder

Sad that 3 finger swipe gesture still doesn't work in the Finder. :(

peteg23

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
Finder is garbage

I'm resigned to the fact Finder will never be fixed in Mavericks. It will always be slow.

As IT Director for a 140 person company that is recently 95% MAC, I will say that the finder and the performance of any sort of network File share protocols is ruining my life. Dont even try to access your files over a VPN, it wont happen.

The only solution is to get a finder replacement app. xfile, mucommander, transmit.. anything else. And set aside a million hours to train your users how to use them.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

Are you sure you don't have any view options set in the Finder that could slow things down? Such as ”Calculate All Sizes”. It doesn't seem that slow to me to display contents of folders in column view. More or less instant.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
As IT Director for a 140 person company that is recently 95% MAC, I will say that the finder and the performance of any sort of network File share protocols is ruining my life. Dont even try to access your files over a VPN, it wont happen.

The only solution is to get a finder replacement app. xfile, mucommander, transmit.. anything else. And set aside a million hours to train your users how to use them.

Finder is not garbage, and its spelled Mac, not MAC. Its a personal computer called Macintosh shorted to Mac, not Media Access Control.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Are you sure you don't have any view options set in the Finder that could slow things down? Such as ”Calculate All Sizes”. It doesn't seem that slow to me to display contents of folders in column view. More or less instant.

Column view doesn't actually have "Calculate All Sizes" (I only browse in column view but I've never had this issue).

Finder is not garbage, and its spelled Mac, not MAC. Its a personal computer called Macintosh shorted to Mac, not Media Access Control.

It's spelled it's not its. It's a contraction of "it is" not the possessive form of it. :p

runs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.