Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a report from Thailand's Thai Rath newspaper [Google Translate], Apple has already met with officials at the country's National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) to discuss the recent disclosure that two iPhone 6 models have been approved by the government agency for import into the Asian country.

NBTC secretary Takorn Tantasith earlier this week released the approval information on two "iPhone 6" models A1586 and A1524, reportedly in accordance with guidelines that require the public announcement of approved hardware. The declaration, which he also broadcast on Twitter, contained only the product name and model numbers, but no other details about the iPhone 6 handsets. As noted by several observers, the iPhone 6 approval was the first time a specific device was named in a Tweet by the NBTC secretary, making it an obvious deviation from usual practice.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg
4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups compared to iPhone 5s
Apple is unsurprisingly upset with this public notification, claiming the disclosure released confidential information about its upcoming handset. The NBTC secretary countered Apple's assertion, arguing that that these announcements do not reveal confidential product details and are meant to protect consumers. He said Apple would be within its rights to penalize Thailand for this leak by canceling its plans to release the iPhone in Thailand later this year, but he stands by his decision to disclose the approval. Translation by a MacRumors reader:
The Secretary General said that everything is done according to the protocol and on August 8 the NTBC has approved the two phone models. He insisted that all that was disclosed is not considered a trade secret and Apple only requested for the specification to remain a secret. As for the specs, the NBTC did not disclose anything.
Apple requested a meeting with NBTC officials to discuss the situation, with Apple emphasizing that the new device may not necessarily be called "iPhone 6" but otherwise resolving the matter.
Mr. Takorn said that representatives from Apple South Asia from the Singapore HQ arrived to "have a chat" with him and clarified that the 2 phone models may not use the name "iPhone 6" to market and the company want to make sure that the NBTC understands this fact. Apple in Singapore will also explain the situation to Apple in the US about this matter. Apple also reassured the NBTC that this "leak" has no effect in Apple's plan to launch and sell the iPhone in Thailand.
Rumors suggest Apple is working on two iPhone models for release in the upcoming months. The next generation handset is expected to be unveiled during a September 9 press event with a 4.7-inch model slated to go on sale shortly after the announcement. A larger 5.5-inch model may debut alongside the smaller model or up to a few months later.

(Thanks, @TonsTweetings!)

Article Link: Apple Meets With Thai Officials to Discuss 'iPhone 6' Approval Disclosure

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I HIGHLY doubt Apple would cancel releasing it in Thailand lmao . They can penalize them in another way ... They want that money .

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
But hey, there is hope that a 5.5" iPhone will be released soon too then...hopefully.

Mind you, there could be other reasons for "2 iPhone 6", but the most likely one would be 4.7" and 5.5".

I just hope it's not just 4.7" 16GB and 4.7" 32GB.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I HIGHLY doubt Apple would cancel releasing it in Thailand lmao . They can penalize them in another way ... They want that money .

I can see them, however, delaying the release of the iPhone 6s in Thailand long enough to prevent similar disclosures in the next release cycle.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
in before, "grass" comment!

----------

But hey, there is hope that a 5.5" iPhone will be released soon too then...hopefully.

Mind you, there could be other reasons for "2 iPhone 6", but the most likely one would be 4.7" and 5.5".

I just hope it's not just 4.7" 16GB and 4.7" 32GB.

it can for sure be 2 different iPhones 6; however, it cannot be for a 16 and 32 sizes. it would have to be something else! wa hoo!

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
If I were Apple...for next year's iPhone 6S (or whatever it will be) I'd wait for the September announcement before contacting Thailand.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Apple had better not scroll through the latest entries on the MR home page then. Those alleged part leaks are really going to get their blood boiling.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
This sounds like the 5.5" is real.

It's also using new battery tech apple has been working for years giving about 5000maH per charge so approximately 4 days life without charging in everyday use. That combined with wireless charging and sapphire screen makes ithe new iPhone Air killer device even at the $2000 expected price tag. Meanwhile I just ordered a Moto G for a tenth of the price.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I'm sure Apple isn't going to make the same mistake twice. Next year Thailand gets their iPhones later than the rest of the world, unless the Thai officials admit their mistake and promise to stop being stupid.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
If apple would just announce it already, then they wouldn't have to worry about all this secrecy bulls***.

The whole phone has basically already been leaked.

:rolleyes:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'm sure Apple isn't going to make the same mistake twice. Next year Thailand gets their iPhones later than the rest of the world, unless the Thai officials admit their mistake and promise to stop being stupid.

That will absolutely be the case.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
This sounds like the 5.5" is real.

No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What's the problem exactly? If that's what they do for all devices then surely there's nothing wrong here, except highlighting Apple's bizarre secrecy? I mean who knew there would be a new iPhone this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.