Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.

You are not Apple. Only Apple can say whether there is or not. I bet you would go back and say you were always thinking Apple was going to release a 5.5" phone if Apple announced it.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
If apple would just announce it already, then they wouldn't have to worry about all this secrecy bulls***.

The whole phone has basically already been leaked.

:rolleyes:

It would badly damage the sales of the current iPhone lineup.
Everyone knows that a new iPhone is going to be shipped soon, but if they announce it and they are not ready to ship it, a lot of people will stop buying iphones until the new one comes out.
Even if they announce that next iPhone will be ready in 2017, as soon as the company officially acknowledge it people will react accordingly and wait for the "next model".

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple emphasizing that the new device may not necessarily be called "iPhone 6"
I would laugh so hard if that happened. All the people think they know everything about the new iPhone. I would be like "you've learnt your lesson, next time wait for Apple to speak."

I'm glad this matter is resolved though. No need to have stuff like this souring an iPhone launch.

iPhone Air (or just iPhone - without a number) is all possible.
Apple can't call it iPhone (6th Gen) as the idiots will call it iPhone 6 just like people called the iPad 4th gen, the iPad 4 wrongly.

----------

You are not Apple. Only Apple can say whether there is or not. I bet you would go back and say you were always thinking Apple was going to release a 5.5" phone if Apple announced it.

Thank you. Sir you understand it perfectly. We can guess based on rumours. But only Apple can confirm. I'm glad at least one other person out there understands this.

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
What's the problem exactly? If that's what they do for all devices then surely there's nothing wrong here, except highlighting Apple's bizarre secrecy? I mean who knew there would be a new iPhone this year.

Probably the issue is in what can be extrapolated from the information. Just in this thread, people are now speculating it's proof of a smaller and larger one.

Although I suppose that's all it amounts to--speculation. However, we do now know of two distinct products, which we didn't know for sure before. Still dunno why that's an *issue* per se, but this is Apple we're talking about.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I can see why they'd be cross - nobody had heard anything about there being two models of iPhone 6 until then!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
What's the problem exactly? If that's what they do for all devices then surely there's nothing wrong here, except highlighting Apple's bizarre secrecy? I mean who knew there would be a new iPhone this year.

They don't tweet all devices. Or probably any devices.
If this slows iPhone 5s and 5 sales in Thailand by 10% over the next two months (because people realize that the 6 is that close), then it will cost Apple a few million. It is definitely worth the price of a plane ticket to have a chat.
But the simple solution is just to do this process after the September announcement and if that delays Thailand iPhone sales by a month, so be it. It isn't like Apple can satisfy world demand for the first few months anyway. So there might as well be a shortage in Thailand.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I can see them, however, delaying the release of the iPhone 6s in Thailand long enough to prevent similar disclosures in the next release cycle.

Right. More drastic measures would just reflect poorly on Apple. Moving Thailand back to the second launch wave -- where they can't disrupt Apple's launch plans -- of the *next* release strikes the right balance, I think.

cpg716

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.

Did you miss the stories where the parts leaked for a 5.5 version??

1. Home Button Flex - August leak
2. 14cm (5.5in) LCD display component - June leak
3. 5.5 inch Logic board - July leak

So what are you talking about?!? There have been even more parts leaked then what I listed.

So how do you think parts haven't leaked?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it standard practice for NBTC to publicly announce that a mobile phone device is planned to be launched from a specific manufacturer?

I'm guessing the point of contention here is that Apple are not happy that NBTC mentioned the name "iPhone 6"?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
So Apple doesn't agree with the law of the land and throws all its toys out of the pram. That's mature, perhaps one of its vast army of lawyers should have checked the laws in that country first....

Somehow I don't think the law of the land calls for public notification via Twitter.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010

The 5.5" doesn't exist...at least it wouldn't exist in the September Launch.

The model numbers for iphone always stay within a short range for the same model. A1586 is no doubt a new series because it is not within the same range as before. However, A1524 is within the range of Iphone 5S and 5C only, so A1524 most likely is a iphone 6C or iphone 5CS. New phone series like 5S -> 5 > 4S -> 4 , ALWAYS have a model number jump which the gap is large enough to see it is a new version. (with the only exception for China only model , which none of us really concern about because they are China only)

Lets look at this:

Iphone 5S
A1533 or A1457 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model)
A1533 or A1453: iPhone 5s (CDMA model)
A1518 or A1528 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model China)

Iphone 5C
A1532 or A1507 or A1529: iPhone 5c (GSM model)
A1532 or A1456: iPhone 5c (CDMA model)
A1516 or A1526 or A1529: iPhone 5c (GSM model China)

Iphone 5
A1428: iPhone 5 (GSM model)
A1429: iPhone 5 (GSM and CDMA model)
A1442: iPhone 5 (CDMA model, China)

Iphone 4S
A1387: iPhone 4s (CDMA model)
A1387: iPhone 4s (GSM model)
A1431: iPhone 4s (GSM model China)

Iphone 4
A1349: iPhone 4 (CDMA model)
A1332: iPhone 4 (GSM model)

Last edited:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

I think speculating on what Apple could or should release next is pretty much the point of posting on rumor threads.

The lack of parts leaks for a 5.5" device is pretty strong evidence that a 5.5" isn't coming any time soon. Either that or Apple had somehow created a nearly leak-proof manufacturing process. I know which one I think is more likely.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
My god these sound absolutelydisgusting

THIS. What is the obsession with wanting to call the big iPhone an iPhone Maxi or iPhone air? Seriously? Like a maxi pad or a maxi dress. What's wrong with just calling it iPhone, why do we need to tack on something after it?

Also on topic, who cares if Thailand "leak" the fact that there was going to be two models? Hasn't macrumors and every other apple blog been yapping it about for like a year now? It's not like Thailand disclosed anything remotely important or something we didn't know.

Don't like it Apple don't see your products there. Simple. Or make Thailand wait until after the launch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'd love it if Apple got rid of the numbering for phone. They've done it with iPad, now do it with iPhone.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
...with Apple emphasizing that the new device may not necessarily be called "iPhone 6" but otherwise resolving the matter.

Obviously, if there is a 5.5" model it will be dubbed the iPhone Kardashian due to its big a$$ footprint. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm boycotting Thailand over this "iPhone 6" name leak.

Instead I'll spend my time on Macrumors looking at dozens of photos of the iPhone 6 front, back, 3rd party cases and every conceivable internal component from every conceivable angle, reading rumours about how many millions of these each manufacturer is making..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.