Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Doesn't our government do the same thing when a handset gets FCC approval? Its then a matter of public record. Apple cannot and should not be able to countermand that. Its freedom of information, and its the law.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Doesn't our government do the same thing when a handset gets FCC approval? Its then a matter of public record. Apple cannot and should not be able to countermand that. Its freedom of information, and its the law.
The Thai officials shouldn't have speculated on the product name, that's where they made the mistake (announcing it's two different models of iPhone 6).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.

iPhone 5CS? I wonder if they'll position the 5C as the low-end in developed markets, the "5CS" where the 5C is now, and the "6" as the new high end? Sales of the 5C haven't been radically different from previous "old model" iPhones, and FoxConn has gotten really efficient at making the aluminum cases, so it's still conceivable that they will keep the 5S around as the mid-range.

We haven't seen any leaks from the purported 5.5" model, but we haven't seen any "5CS" leaks, either (though that would be easier to keep a secret since it just involves putting the 5S innards into the 5C case).

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
No it doesn't.

It sounds like Apple has 1 flagship model, and 1 revised model for the $99 price point.....just like last year.

And in terms of flagship model, just like EVERY year.

There is no 5.5. There never was.

Parts Leaks: Enough to build a working 4.7.....Not a single piece from 5.5.

We've had some internal leaks.

----------

iPhone 5CS? I wonder if they'll position the 5C as the low-end in developed markets, the "5CS" where the 5C is now, and the "6" as the new high end? Sales of the 5C haven't been radically different from previous "old model" iPhones, and FoxConn has gotten really efficient at making the aluminum cases, so it's still conceivable that they will keep the 5S around as the mid-range.

We haven't seen any leaks from the purported 5.5" model, but we haven't seen any "5CS" leaks, either (though that would be easier to keep a secret since it just involves putting the 5S innards into the 5C case).

I completely agree, a larger iPhone 6 is more likely than an upgrade to the iPhone 5C.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Maybe they'll have a special version for Thailand in the future, branded the iPhone-Thai...

Of course then they'll have to have the matching iPad-Thai.

Sounds yummy!

:D

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Right. More drastic measures would just reflect poorly on Apple. Moving Thailand back to the second launch wave -- where they can't disrupt Apple's launch plans -- of the *next* release strikes the right balance, I think.

Dear Lord, you people are putting this out there like there needs to be Punishment from On High for displeasing the Almighty.

Holy *******. This really is a religion for a lot of you.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Maybe they'll have a special version for Thailand in the future, branded the iPhone-Thai...

Of course then they'll have to have the matching iPad-Thai.

Sounds yummy!

:D

That would be ThaiPhone and ThaiPad :D

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
One thing I'm just not quite understanding is this "lack of evidence as evidence" kick some people are on...

First, because you haven't seen part leaks for a 5.5" iPhone 6 doesn't mean the device doesn't exist. That's lunacy.

Second, there have been part leaks. Not as many, but it's also being developed in smaller numbers according to rumors. So that makes logical sense.

Third, you claim lack of part leaks for 5.5" iPhone means they're making a 4.0" "6C" version -- but no parts have EVER been even RUMORED for this. Yet you put your faith in that. Someone needs to explain this to me.

XVentura

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Wait, so people like me, people that willingly fork over a ton of money to Apple without getting the benefits that consumers in America and Europe do - such as access to an Apple Store - are punished because a stupid bureaucrat overstepped his mark?

I hope Apple aren't as petty as some of you are or they'll lose a ton of consumers in a market that they have a very good reputation in.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
One thing I'm just not quite understanding is this "lack of evidence as evidence" kick some people are on...

First, because you haven't seen part leaks for a 5.5" iPhone 6 doesn't mean the device doesn't exist. That's lunacy.

Second, there have been part leaks. Not as many, but it's also being developed in smaller numbers according to rumors. So that makes logical sense.

Third, you claim lack of part leaks for 5.5" iPhone means they're making a 4.0" "6C" version -- but no parts have EVER been even RUMORED for this. Yet you put your faith in that. Someone needs to explain this to me.

First, look at this post. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19479358/

Regarding the leaked parts like the following link
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/28/bare-logic-boards-4-7-5-5-iphones/

It *can* be parts for Iphone 6 and Iphone 5CS/Iphone 6C because the size is not really greatly different if you ask me. 1 one them is a bit smaller while the other 2 is about the same if you ask me.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Come on. Do you honestly believe this isn't another control leak, to generate buzz? This just ramped up the fever about the new phones even higher. Best "accident" in the world for Apple. Lets see, what's greater? Lose maybe a $10Mill in lost iP5S sales from those who will wait now, or gain another $25Mill in iP6 sales from heightened anticipation? Apple PR genius at work, yet again...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Come on. Do you honestly believe this isn't another control leak, to generate buzz? This just ramped up the fever about the new phones even higher. Best "accident" in the world for Apple. Lets see, what's greater? Lose maybe a $10Mill in lost iP5S sales from those who will wait now, or gain another $25Mill in iP6 sales from heightened anticipation? Apple PR genius at work, yet again...

Apple doesn't need to do stuff like this to generate buzz. That's as silly as those who claim Apple intentionally restricts supply to artificially create demand.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
6 and 6C - both one size.

----------

iPhone Air doesn't resonate with me. For a laptop it does. For an iPad it makes sense. These are items that typically are heavy - and other manufacturers have heavier devices. However - when it comes to a phone, "lightness" isn't that big of a deal to me.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
But hey, there is hope that a 5.5" iPhone will be released soon too then...hopefully.

Mind you, there could be other reasons for "2 iPhone 6", but the most likely one would be 4.7" and 5.5".

I just hope it's not just 4.7" 16GB and 4.7" 32GB.

there is no 5.5" iPhone. No leaks = no phone. Now the iWatch may be a different story if it is being manufactured here.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
But hey, there is hope that a 5.5" iPhone will be released soon too then...hopefully.

Mind you, there could be other reasons for "2 iPhone 6", but the most likely one would be 4.7" and 5.5".

I just hope it's not just 4.7" 16GB and 4.7" 32GB.

Two different model numbers - and model number is the same across storage sizes with all previous iPhones.

Could be 4" and 4.7", could be 4.7" and 5.5", could be two different cell spectrum standards. Who knows.

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011

Your part number theory is not a very stable platform to stand on. In fact, you tell us "ignore these ones that don't fit the pattern". You lost all credibility by saying that. Furthermore, model numbers jump around quite frequently, you seem to be ignoring all other products in the Apple line.

Regarding the leaked parts like the following link
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/28/bare-logic-boards-4-7-5-5-iphones/

It *can* be parts for Iphone 6 and Iphone 5CS/Iphone 6C because the size is not really greatly different if you ask me. 1 one them is a bit larger while the other 2 is about the same if you ask me.

Well from the image on the site you linked to, clearly the two new logic boards are larger and one is smaller--the one for iPhone 5S. I guess you see what you want to see...for example, let's ignore this screen that's clearly larger than a 5CS/6C device. leaked screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.