Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today took the "Ice Bucket Challenge," which is designed to raise awareness for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS, also commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

The challenge asks people to pour buckets of ice water over their heads (documented on film and shared on social media sites) and then tag three friends to do the same. Friends unwilling to complete the challenge are asked to donate money towards ALS, but as noted by The Verge, many participants have chosen to participate and donate money to the cause.

According to Instagram and Twitter photos, Tim Cook had a bucket of ice water dumped on him at Apple's Cupertino campus this afternoon during the company's bi-weekly beer bash while Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby played in the background. Cook was first challenged yesterday by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, who completed the challenge himself.

timcookicebucket.jpg
Image courtesy of Instagram user world_of_possibilities
Schiller, who dumped a bucket of ice water over his own head at a beach in Half Moon Bay, also challenged actor Chris O'Donnell and his wife Kim. Cook has gone on to challenge Apple board member Bob Iger, musician Michael Franti, and Beats co-founder Dr. Dre.

philschiller.jpg
Phil Schiller takes the challenge
Many notable celebrities and tech industry leaders have completed the ice bucket challenge in recent weeks, including Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. As of August 12, the challenge has raised more than $4 million in donations.

Update: Apple has posted a full video of Cook and Franti taking the challenge.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook, Phil Schiller Take On 'Ice Bucket Challenge' to Promote Awareness for ALS

NuclearWasted

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
"during the company's bi-weekly beer bash"

Why isn't there an article on this? I would love to hear more about it.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I find the picture of Tim Cook rather sad. So many of the assembled Apple employees are taking exactly the same picture/video of him with their iPhones. Nobody actually just stands there and experiences the event.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I feel like this belongs on one of Conan's segments: "Why China is kicking our ass!"

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I find the picture of Tim Cook rather sad. So many of the assembled Apple employees are taking exactly the same picture/video of him with their iPhones. Nobody actually just stands there and experiences the event.

I'm curious if there were similar mindsets when the affordable portable camera gained traction.

I feel like this belongs on one of Conan's segments: "Why China is kicking our ass!"

Why? Because we have people bringing awareness to a disease?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
An unusual stunt and a good cause. Well done!

Related: the Hypothermic Shock Foundation is raising funds by dumping buckets of neurotoxin on people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.