Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Do I also get world wide attention if i dump a bucket of ice over my head? Jeez, this thing is silly!

First world problems *facepalm*

*thinking about the thousands of women, childrens and men that have to die unnecessarely and nobody gives a damn and no celebrity performs some crazy stunt for them*

Good night!

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I find the picture of Tim Cook rather sad. So many of the assembled Apple employees are taking exactly the same picture/video of him with their iPhones. Nobody actually just stands there and experiences the event.

Totally dude. All those smiles, laughs etc are proof that no one "experienced" the event. Glorified photographers. Probably a stunt to sell more iphones eh? :rolleyes:

Here is a tip - stop being a downer. Be happy. Dont be doom n gloom.

----------

Do I also get world wide attention if i dump a bucket of ice over my head? Jeez, this thing is silly!

*thinking about the thousands of women, childrens and men that have to die unnecessarely and nobody gives a damn and no celebrity performs some crazy stunt for them*

Good night!

Sigh. See my tip above.
According to you, ALS is not worthy of attention. Guess these people suffer necessarily based on your outlook. Raising awareness for one disease does not mean others dont matter.
But you probably know that and instead prefer to troll.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Sadly, I'm so out of touch that I didn't even know what the ice bucket challenge was for until today. In fact, yesterday was the first time I watched a video of it and I had no clue why it was happening.

I hear it's raising money/awareness, so I guess that's a good thing.

Wasn't ALS previously called Lou Gehrig's Disease? My former mailman has that.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Think they will show this at the keynote?

No they wont take any attention away from the iPhone.

----------

Good night!

Do you have any ****ing idea what this is for?

----------

Can't wait to see Dr. Dre do the ice water challenge!! Get eminem to do it Dre!!

Ya other vote for eminem! I also cant wait to see Dr.Dre do it

----------

Sadly, I'm so out of touch that I didn't even know what the ice bucket challenge was for until today. In fact, yesterday was the first time I watched a video of it and I had no clue why it was happening.

I hear it's raising money/awareness, so I guess that's a good thing.

Wasn't ALS previously called Lou Gehrig's Disease? My former mailman has that.

That means its working!

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
No they wont take any attention away from the iPhone.

Uh... at every keynote they usually tend to show some videos and pics of different Apple related things in the first 20 mins or so. I could totally see them showing video about the Ice Bucket Challenge and then announce a pledge to donate $_____ to ALS.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Notice all the "smart phones" taking pictures in the audience.

Can you count the number of Iphone 6's there?

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Totally dude. All those smiles, laughs etc are proof that no one "experienced" the event. Glorified photographers. Probably a stunt to sell more iphones eh? :rolleyes:

Here is a tip - stop being a downer. Be happy. Dont be doom n gloom.

----------

Sigh. See my tip above.
According to you, ALS is not worthy of attention. Guess these people suffer necessarily based on your outlook. Raising awareness for one disease does not mean others dont matter.
But you probably know that and instead prefer to troll.

Thank you! I want to see more posts like this.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
One of the best things to come out of social media ever !!

I thought, and still think to some extent, that this whole thing is dumb, but it's too darn effective to criticize. It draws attention, it's raised boatloads for a good cause, and people seem to get a kick out of the whole thing. Plus, it's more interesting than the things people ate for dinner tonight being posted on Facebook.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I find the picture of Tim Cook rather sad. So many of the assembled Apple employees are taking exactly the same picture/video of him with their iPhones. Nobody actually just stands there and experiences the event.

Indeed, that one guy bottom left of shot looks the happiest - the only one not taking a photo. I almost never take photos, the moment is where it's at.

Interesting concept, and point taken that the people spreading the photos around the interwebs will spread awareness ... of photos and buckets of water ... but things were never meant to be like this.

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
I'd like to see Craig's hair after this...

cf-iwc.jpg

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Why did they change the name of Lou Gehrig's disease? I think more people know what that is as opposed to ALS. I had no idea what it was until someone said Lou Gehrig's.

mamaway

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
My brother was diagnosed with ALS around the time Pete Frates was, so our family is just ecstatic with all this attention the cause is getting right now. And he's having fun with it, too. He challenged his congresswoman and she's considering it. Too bad Obama already declined, but at least he donated.

To all the downers, just read this article http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/unprecedented-generosity-continues.html and then go do something as inventive what as Pete Frates has done!

Way to go Apple execs!

NuclearWasted

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Ask Americans to describe ALS before and after the stunt (without googling). "Awareness" has probably decreased due to brain-freeze.

I'm sure that most couldn't, there is a difference between knowing that ALS exists and knowing what it is and how it affects people. I find this whole thing to be ineffective. I've seen people doing the ice bucket challenge online since May and the fact that they are promoting that they've raised four million dollars because of this is a victory? I'm glad that they've raised anything but just because somebody tags me on facebook does not mean that I'm donating $100 to ALS. I've done a few charity races/runs this year and I've raised a few thousand for other diseases and nobody has ever donated that much individually to my fundraising, most people stick between the $25-50 range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.