Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
It's getting to the point of me needing to wear a 12-lead ECG monitor around at all times 24/7 so I can see and know every single thing about my body. Cool? Yes, but it's getting a little crazy!

Made to order for health and life insurers when underwriting risk. Think of the nice fat premiums!

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Why would I want to know my heart rate? Having played a musical instrument, I can check accurately enough just by putting my hand on my chest if I really want to know for some reason.

----------

Good point about health tracking for everyone. I'm optimistic. I think there will be tons of addicting games and apps in the near future that will incentivize users to get and stay healthy. There'll be competitive apps for health for the athletes, competitive-natured and already-fit people of the world and there will be health apps/games focused on helping people with less-than-healthy lifestyles.

Here's to hoping Apple is serious about all this.

Honestly, the healthiest thing is to stop playing games on an iPhone or texting all day for no reason. A video game that people will actually play can't be any healthier than Wii Sports.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I don't like this new-fangled stuff. Back in my day, earbuds were bad for you because we played them too loud! And we liked it!!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think it should be an 8" butt plug with lighting connector, life heath monitoring accurate temperature and constant stool sample data.

iButt

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
"Why would I want to know my heart rate? Having played a musical instrument, I can check accurately enough just by putting my hand on my chest if I really want to know for some reason."
----------
@Pocketsand111:
You are gifted. I think it's for the rest of us that don't have that superpower.
People actually exercise with a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to get the most out of their workouts. Realtime heart rate monitoring is a great way to train so you know you're not pushing yourself too hard for too long.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not an audiophile by any means, and I'm pretty much just a regular consumer when it comes to audio. What I want: very cheap, highly durable in-ear headphones with good bass.

I discovered the Panasonic RPHJE120K In-Ear Headphones on Amazon, and I haven't gone with any other pair (except for EarPods when I want that microphone so I can take phone calls with iPhone in pocket).

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Nice idea but even better is the 'Dash' from Bragi
Should be ready in January 2015.
Can't wait.

Bluetooth 4.0
Waterproof
Built in 4GB music player
Microphone
Charging case
HRM
O2 saturation sensor
Body Temperature
Fitness Tracker
Distance
Speed
Cadence
G-Force
Steps
Pace
Rotation
Selectable noise cancelling/audio transparency

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellobragi/the-dash-wireless-smart-in-ear-headphones

I was going to ask where the love was for Bragi's "The Dash"! I'm glad someone else here has heard of them.
I backed, can't wait! I got in on the first 1000 from first full production run..

www.bragi.com for pre-orders if anyone's interested

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No. Let's work on reading skills.

I didn't say it is. I didn't say agree with me or die. I gave my opinion on my use case. I am open to everyone's opinions and thoughts.

Silly Doctor. Don't you know that is the same as a Royal Decree around here?

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
"Why would I want to know my heart rate? Having played a musical instrument, I can check accurately enough just by putting my hand on my chest if I really want to know for some reason."
----------
@Pocketsand111:
You are gifted. I think it's for the rest of us that don't have that superpower.
People actually exercise with a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to get the most out of their workouts. Realtime heart rate monitoring is a great way to train so you know you're not pushing yourself too hard for too long.

Guys and the rest of the posters think outside the box ! Think bigger!! This tech is bigger than what your giving credit for! This has the ability to PREDICT heart attacks, strokes and other serious health issues! And imaging for a minute, before your heart attack strikes, it alerts the medics, your Family (you)and or who ever you have set up to contact for emergency! Future looks great!!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Sensors across product lines makes sense.
you don't wear the same items for different activities throughout the day but this way it can still be measured. For example, I don't like wearing a watch while I run, but I am almost always wearing headphones. I don't wear headphones when I am out and about for the day but I do wear my watch.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sensors across product lines makes sense.
you don't wear the same items for different activities throughout the day but this way it can still be measured. For example, I don't like wearing a watch while I run, but I am almost always wearing headphones. I don't wear headphones when I am out and about for the day but I do wear my watch.

You are getting warmer. The Apple "watch" was created by the rumor industry completely out of whole cloth. The hard evidence or even the logic supporting this concept is completely absent. What actually exists is evidence that Apple has wearable tech in the pipeline, most likely a family of products incorporating biometrics. Just what these wearable tech products are, nobody outside of Apple knows, but I think it's safe to say that a "watch" is almost certainly not one of them.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
This is actually something I'd be interested in. The watch from most of the photo's I've seen is to ugly for me to be seen wearing and the only time I'd really be interested in my vitals is when I'm at the gym or on a hike in which case I'm always wearing ear buds anyway.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Ugh, can't I just get the smallest ear buds that have good sound. I don't want damn golf balls sized crap sticking out of my ears. Yuck!!!

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Ugh, can't I just get the smallest ear buds that have good sound. I don't want damn golf balls sized crap sticking out of my ears. Yuck!!!

There's some that were on kickstarter. They were tiny, like the ones Ryan Reynolds' character used in some romcom ("definitely,maybe?" I think)

Edit:
Found them: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1629248706/earin-the-worlds-smallest-wireless-earbuds?ref=discovery

Earin is the smallest, wireless earbuds available on the market. Two earbuds that together function as one Bluetooth headphone; no cables, no attachments just magically small delivering high quality audio sound.
No unnecessary functionality has been added. No sensors, no lights and no microphone, that’s right - no microphone! Not because we couldn’t but because we wouldn’t!

Earin is for music lovers – and music lovers only.
We use balanced armature speakers, used in professional in-ear-monitors and hearing-aids to deliver the best possible sound and to keep power-consumption at its minimal. High-density rechargeable batteries are used to keep playback time up and size down.

Last edited:

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I'm a bit apprehensive about this one actually. mainly b/c you don't know how much EF exposure this will open your ears up to. that's a sensitive area you wanna keep all that junk exposure away from in the long term.

wrist seems like a much better area to package this into; it a limb away from all your vital senses.

also, I think that's one of the reasons Glass is never gonna gain wider appeal. no one should want something jammed into or on your eyes for data. not aiming for robo-humans. glasses are annoying enough in general.

Last edited:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
So what you are saying is... I like it, so it is, ipso facto, better.

No, what he said was, I like option A more than option B, therefore I think option A is better. (Heck, the words "I think" were even in same phrase as the word "better".)

Here's the quote for reference (emphasis added):
I would have a watch on more then earbuds so I think a watch is better

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
No. Let's work on reading skills.

I didn't say it is. I didn't say agree with me or die. I gave my opinion on my use case. I am open to everyone's opinions and thoughts.

He was sharing an opinion. He even said the words "I think." You're free to disagree.

No, what he said was, I like option A more than option B, therefore I think option A is better. (Heck, the words "I think" were even in same phrase as the word "better".)

Here's the quote for reference (emphasis added):

I think I got the point...but that's just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.