Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Too bad. The company needed to raise the diversity percentages! :eek:

----------

By the way, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Apple went out of it's way to find this Black woman.

You seem to be focusing the most on the fact that she's black woman, rather than the focus of the article which is female leadership. Maybe a little off track?

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
It is 100% not always a good thing. Diversity for the sake of numbers is actually a horrible thing, why not hire the best person no matter their race, sex or sexual orientation?

Yeah that's true, but I'm fairly certain apple wouldn't hire someone for an executive position based solely off of their diversity numbers. I've got faith that they can also do their job.

How? Diversity is a crock of _ _ _ _ that was made up to make people feel bad.... You hire the people who are qualified and who are right for the job. This Diversity crap is what's wrong with todays USA. If the person is white, black, yellow, green, blue... You hiring the one who is qualified. You don't hiring the black one because you need more diversity. Same goes for sex.

You act like these people aren't qualified to do their job, and they were hired only for their effect on the numbers. That's absolutely asinine.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Except. How would you feel if somebody else that was less qualified than you got a job you’d worked damned hard and damned long for just because it was diverse?

So where does this happen?

I think only few equality advocates ask for positive discrimination in favour of equality. I think most would like companies to pay more attention to equality issues when hiring people, such as by making sure that ample candidates of different backgrounds are considered. For instance, in some sectors women are not as much encouraged to apply for higher positions as men are, which can result in a distorted equality ratio. Maybe the person hired isn’t always the best person for the job, but only the best candidate they considered. If a person of a different background isn’t even properly considered, that might affect the result. There is a wealth of research on this and it can’t simply be explained by ‘it should always be the best person for the job’.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
You seem to be focusing the most on the fact that she's black woman, rather than the focus of the article which is female leadership. Maybe a little off track?

You've missed what I've said. That was a part of what I said after something else.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
SO proud of Denise! I totally didn't know she was a VP at Apple! Wow. I grew up knowing her! Representing Grambling State!!!!!!!!! My mom talks to her all the time.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Except. How would you feel if somebody else that was less qualified than you got a job you’d worked damned hard and damned long for just because it was diverse?

This happened to my "white/middle-aged" father for 30 years in the California Community College system. Finished #2 for SO MANY exec positions. Justified reverse racism based on his physical appearance.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Wrong. There are many qualified people that are overlooked because they aren't white and male.

It's more than qualifications. There is inherent bigotry everywhere.

White people are generally comfortable hiring more white males than minorities because they prefer their own kind.

Just like a white male prefers white girls to ethnic girls etc

That "preference" is unfair in the workforce that is real.

So get off your high horse
Wow, stereotype much...:rolleyes:

I've been to a job interview where they tell you that they are hiring one woman and two minorities AFTER you have been grilled through the interview process.

They will hire these 3 people even if they do not qualify for the job because the city quota must be met.

So yea, hiring by diversity has its drawbacks.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Who says they aren't still hiring the person who is right for the job? It's not like hiring the person who is right for job and aiming for diversity are mutually exclusive.

He will most likely ignore your question. He seems determined to go on a tirade against hiring blacks.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013

Do you have any evidence that these people were less qualified than their competition? These women could have easily been the most qualified for the position, and thus selected. The fact that their sex and race is different could just be happenstance

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
White people are generally comfortable hiring more white males than minorities because they prefer their own kind.

Just like a white male prefers white girls to ethnic girls etc

People are more likely to hire people they'd like to date? I wonder why more white women aren't being employed :p

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
How? Diversity is a crock of _ _ _ _ that was made up to make people feel bad.... You hire the people who are qualified and who are right for the job. This Diversity crap is what's wrong with todays USA. If the person is white, black, yellow, green, blue... You hiring the one who is qualified. You don't hiring the black one because you need more diversity. Same goes for sex.

I'm sorry but its your opinion on the matter what is killing the US. Its all about different perspectives. If you hire 15 highly qualified middle aged white men, guess what? You get (roughly) the same perspective. But guess what? They want to market their products to people other than middle aged white men. Its not about having x amount of black people, and x amount of asians, its about getting the black or asian perspective. Surely you can comprehend that Tim Cook and Dr Dre have different back grounds and see the world differently. Thank goodness Cook understands, its how you make a better company.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
There are women at Apple?? I thought it was all robots.

For the time being, they have not been able to get the robots to make the tea and biscuits for the important meetings quite right yet :D

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Who says they aren't still hiring the person who is right for the job? It's not like hiring the person who is right for job and aiming for diversity are mutually exclusive.

Yeah they are, unless the people right for the job are 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 eastern Asian, and 50/50 male/female exactly.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Probably nowhere near as bad as the better qualified person who didn't get the job because he was diverse and the employer wasn't. That's not some FUD story, its already happening, millions of times over.

WhartoX

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Every time I see an article like this is makes me shake my head. I think MR posted something about this earlier in the week about Tim Cook being unhappy about lack of "color" in the Apple Stores. When in reality, white males are the majority of people who are not only going to apply for the job, but, qualify for the job. It's just how it is. I'm sorry but most black men do no focus on technology like white males do. Just like how Sports Stores who sell athletic shoes are more likely to have Black men than White men(or women). Is just how things are. Why is the NHL like 90+% white? Because HOCKEY is predominately a white sport that attracts white youth. Basketball attracts inner city black children and because of that the NBA is 85% black.

It's just how things are. There is nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is thinking it is wrong and coming up with these diversity problems. I'm sorry, but I just find it absolutely dumb.

There's something wrong in the fact that it never changes. "It's just how thing are" and accepting the way it is never advances anything. Diversity should be mandatory in all job fields IMO

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Picture of a black woman = diversity PR stunt?

Couldn't be about recognizing her contribution?

When it's a black person in a position of power, it couldn't possibly be because they were (GASP!) qualified for the job. No one is going to hire you for a job you are not qualified to do. That's just not how business works. That is lost on people on macrumors.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
I'm sorry but its your opinion on the matter what is killing the US. Its all about different perspectives. If you hire 15 highly qualified middle aged white men, guess what? You get (roughly) the same perspective. But guess what? They want to market their products to people other than middle aged white men. Its not about having x amount of black people, and x amount of asians, its about getting the black or asian perspective. Surely you can comprehend that Tim Cook and Dr Dre have different back grounds and see the world differently. Thank goodness Cook understands, its how you make a better company.
Oh, i had no idea that peoples ideas and the way they designed phones, computers and develop software, that those abilities sits in the skin color.......also, because people have different skin colors does not mean they have different backgrounds. This may be news to you but even people with same skin color, gender and age can have completely diverse perspectives.

theosib

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Diversity for its own sake can increase group creativity

One reason we want to have an eye towards diversity is fairness: There are people who might be overlooked as a result of unconscious prejudices. Being diversity conscious helps us to ensure that ethnicity and gender are NOT considerations when choosing to hire someone. For instance, some aspects of a person's background can be evaluated by people who are looking at a resume, completely unaware of a person's race.

However, there's another good reason to consciously encourage diversity: We want to avoid creating a monoculture. Let's say there are open positions for some engineering team, and by coincidence, all the top candidates are all from Elmira, NY. Individually, they are the most qualified. But that doesn't mean they will make the most competitive team. Coming all from the same background, there are alternatives to ideas they grew up with that they are all unaware of. This will reduce the creative potential of the team. By including less (but sufficiently) qualified people on the team that are from more diverse backgrounds, they will bring to the table a greater diversity of ideas (and some fundamentally different ways of thinking) that lead to better and more creative solutions.

Last edited:

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
"Why is it that the NFL or NBA always have more black people? Where is the diversity there?"

Funny thing is, in the fifties NBA had almost only white folks, and the unwritten rule was maximum 2 black players per team. Now it's the other way around. Why? Because you hire who's better, not just for the sake of having somebody different. But no, Apple needs diversity for the sake of diversity. Cook is trippin. I still love Apple but they concentrate a lot on stupid things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.