Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Apple's official acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music, the Beats Music iOS app has been added to Apple's App Store listing of "Apps Made by Apple," giving the app high-profile placement to encourage downloads.

This section of the iTunes Store, which also houses Apple-designed apps like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, and more, can be found in the Quick Links section of the iOS App Store and the desktop iTunes Store.

appsmadebyapple.jpg
The addition of Beats Music to the Apps Made by Apple list follows its inclusion in the list of apps recommended to new iOS users, another move that will undoubtedly result in a high number of Beats Music app downloads. According to Appshopper, Beats Music's popularity has soared in recent weeks. It is currently ranked fourth in music and number 23 in overall free apps.

As of May, Beats Music had garnered 250,000 subscribers, a number that has likely grown significantly with the app's prominent placement in the App Store and Apple's high-profile acquisition of the company. In contrast, Apple's iTunes Store has sold 35 billion songs and its existing streaming radio service, iTunes Radio, has more than 40 million listeners.

Unlike many of the other apps listed in the Apps Made by Apple section, Beats Music is not free. While the app can be downloaded at no cost, it requires a monthly subscription priced at $9.99. Unlike several competing streaming music services, Beats Music does not offer a free ad-supported listening.

According to rumors, Apple has plans to keep the Beats Music service as a standalone entity, separate from its own iTunes and iTunes Radio offerings.

(Thanks, William!)

Article Link: Apple Adds Beats Music to App Store List of 'Apps Made by Apple'

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
For the brief period I tried Beats Music, I enjoyed it. If they can somehow couple it with iTunes Match/Radio I would love that. Group it all into one yearly cost.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple owns Beats now so this app is considered an Apple app. Wow, what a shock. :eek:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Hopefully they merge it into iTunes Radio, despite that "according to rumors, Apple has plans to keep the Beats Music service as a standalone entity, separate from its own iTunes and iTunes Radio offerings."

Last edited:

man3ster

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
This is stupid.

This is not the Apple I remember. Apple should have integrated this service into the Music app on iOS. Instead the company is spinning off different brands and it leads to a less uniform experience. I wish the company would focus on their core products and services and guarantee reliability and stability. It feels like the company is losing something that I use to value.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
How coincidental the color of the circle around the "b" in the beats logo is almost exactly the same color scheme as the iTunes Radio app logo. Noticed that a few months back. Its not like those are common colors either.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
How coincidental the color of the circle around the "b" in the beats logo is almost exactly the same color scheme as the iTunes Radio app logo. Noticed that a few months back. Its not like those are common colors either.

I think you're grasping for straws with that statement...

404px-ITunes_Radio_Logo.svg.png
Beats_Music_Logo.png

Definitely doesn't seem "coincidental" to me - I don't personally think the color schemes are that much alike. They're both pinkish.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
iTunes Radio Need Improvement

iTunes Radio needs some serious improvement. Each "channel" keeps replaying the same 15-30 or so songs it feels like. :( You would think that with the world of music at your fingertips it wouldn't seem so stale so fast. :/

Reds622

macrumors regular
May 9, 2014
I am starting to think that Apples primary motivation in buying Beats was to keep competitors from integrating it into their products. I'm not talking about the "tech" crowd, and most of the posters on this forum, but the everyday young kid or adult who would purchase a product strictly because they think having a beats speaker system creates a more premium product.

I know that this was already done before, with HP I believe, but perhaps Apple felt that moving forward if Beats were to continue to become a bigger and more popular brand it could threaten and take away sales from it's other products. Thus, while 3 billion was a ton of money, it's pennies to a company with over 100 billion in cash to spend, and if it hurts competitors ability to gain any sort of edge in the future it is money well spent.

The reason I say this is because I really can't see any way that Apple is able to actually incorporate Beats into other products. Their will be no Beats speakers in IPhones, MacBooks, or anything else.. The music streaming service, while interesting, does not strike me as any sort of game changer that would bring in significant revenue in the near future. It seems Apple is content with owning Beats in name only, and keeping the service and it's products relatively separate from the rest of Apple.

Seems like Apple wants to just continue to earn the profit coming from the suckers who buy the overrated and overpriced Beats headphones, get the software for the streaming service that I never see competing with the likes of spotify, and most importantly eliminating a potential distinguisher for its competitors that may have existed if all the stars aligned at some point in time in the future.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
This is not the Apple I remember. Apple should have integrated this service into the Music app on iOS. Instead the company is spinning off different brands and it leads to a less uniform experience. I wish the company would focus on their core products and services and guarantee reliability and stability. It feels like the company is losing something that I use to value.

There are very good reasons for why this hasn't happened yet. It's not a cut and dry issue. I have no doubts that eventually things will move to an experience much like this, but until streaming profits catch up to what the iTunes Store brings to the music industry, they're not going to rock that boat. Their content partners have been getting hit hard enough as it is, and unlike many other companies, Apple is smart enough to realize that they need to actually have content PARTNERS and help them as much as they can to be successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.